Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why can't people reverse? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I can't parallel park or reverse into a space, I go in forwards instead but even then I need at least two spaces between cars most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisHarris1)
    I suggest you work on your social skills as well as forward parking

It's perfectly possible to park in parallel with the lines without adjusting

You seem overly biased towards your own view, your responses suggest you have a serious problem

Frankly I don't care which way you park in, some find it easier forward than reverse

If you need a minor correction, so what?

You attribute bad parking just on one factor, ignoring all other factors
    Wont rise to you throwing insults around.

Tbh I wouldn't know how good I am at driving in because I havent done it for years but my observations are that people tend to need to straighten up or adjust more when driving in than those who reverse in.

However we're getting sidetracked my initial point was that people in general are afraid of reversing and arent very good at it and that I think that reversing should be better covered in driving lessons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    If you're at a supermarket it's not a good idea to reverse in since you'll likely want to open your boot or tailgate to get your shopping in...

Mind you, I do appreciate where the OP is coming from... there's been plenty of occasions where I've come face to face with someone down a single width road and the person coming the other way is too retarded to back up 10 feet.
    It makes it particularly awkward when you're towing a trailer as I often am these days!
    Agree with you totally. I do a lot of driving on country roads and when you come face to face with someone who cant reverse it causes huge problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    Wont rise to you throwing insults around.

Tbh I wouldn't know how good I am at driving in because I havent done it for years but my observations are that people tend to need to straighten up or adjust more when driving in than those who reverse in.

However we're getting sidetracked my initial point was that people in general are afraid of reversing and arent very good at it and that I think that reversing should be better covered in driving lessons
    excuse me? you are the one who said people are useless because they can't reverse

idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NathanW18)
    Yeah, I would never attempt to reverse into a space that small. I don't live in a city, so it's possible to find a decent sized space somewhere. I also don't want anybody to hit my car. Getting into a tiny spot like that is just asking for someone to reverse into your car, while trying to get out.
    To be honest, they'll probably do more damage to their car than mine. I've got a tow bar on the back (which has already saved me when someone rear ended me. I walked away with a slightly damaged back bumper and the front of their car was pretty annihilated ) and the front bumper isn't that pretty anyway. The benefits of driving a heap of junk!

ReputationRep:
    I always reverse park the car even when I'm at home.

My Tesla's charging point is by the tail lamp and don't have a cable long enough otherwise.

Generally always preferred to reverse into a parking lot as it is a lot easier to come out especially if it is onto a public highway.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh i've found i'm a lot better reversing than i am driving into spaces. due to my history on a motorbike (obvious from the username) i find the way the front of the car turns into a space very weird and always turn in too early.

When i was learning i set up cars in the sandschool at my house and practised reversing in, parellel and bay park style.

ReputationRep:
    excuse me? you are the one who said people are useless because they can't reverse

idiot
    Where did I say they were useless? I said its frustrating that people dont know how to reverse which it is becuase it's an important skill.

Also where is the need to throw idiot in at the end? Remember how youre the person telling me to learn some social skills? Pot kettle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    Where did I say they were useless? I said its frustrating that people dont know how to reverse which it is becuase it's an important skill.

Also where is the need to throw idiot in at the end? Remember how youre the person telling me to learn some social skills? Pot kettle.
    Look at your earlier comments.

You have taken a very defensive/judgemental stance

all I said was I find front parking easier, and you reply;

"are you one of those people who drive in and think "done!" and leave the car in any old state? "

Where was the need for that? You can't seem to accept that people can park reasonable going forward/some find it easier than reversing in

You attack people just because they do things differently.

Also a driving test has very little bearing on how you will drive afterwards.

Even in the driving test you are allowed adjustments when reversing. As not every single parking bay has the same width

ReputationRep:
    Look at your earlier comments.

You have taken a very defensive/judgemental stance

all I said was I find front parking easier, and you reply;

"are you one of those people who drive in and think "done!" and leave the car in any old state? "

Where was the need for that? You can't seem to accept that people can park reasonable going forward/some find it easier than reversing in

You attack people just because they do things differently.

Also a driving test has very little bearing on how you will drive afterwards.

Even in the driving test you are allowed adjustments when reversing. As not every single parking bay has the same width

You were on the attack from post 1, but whatever i can't be bothered arguing.

Remember the point i was making was not about which way people bay park but the fact that people seem to afraid & unable to reverse. I CAN accept that people find it easier to drive in but I think that that is a symptom of being unable to reverse confidently.

People who can't reverse confidently cause problems.

ReputationRep:
    It takes practice! I can happily do parallel park and reverse in bays, whereas before I used to crap myself at the thought of going into a multistory car park or parking between two cars. I can imagine it's frustrating for the driver, because they do not want to cause damage - exactly the way I felt!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.