Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RotatingPhasor)
    Some good books I read were, 'In search of Schrodinger cat' and 'A strange theory of light and matter'.
    Thanks, do these books have any maths in or are they just qualitative explanations?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock_Set)
    Thanks, do these books have any maths in or are they just qualitative explanations?
    Qualitative, if you're looking for maths read textbooks like university physics by young and freedman or watch MIT lectures by Walter Lewin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RotatingPhasor)
    Qualitative, if you're looking for maths read textbooks like university physics by young and freedman or watch MIT lectures by Walter Lewin.
    Okay, thanks I'm trying to find a bit of balance, to dip my toe in, so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BestProfileName)
    "do some revision but have fun as well" implied that by reading non-fiction books pertaining, in this case, to physics cannot be fun.
    Well, i was not suggesting or implying that physics cannot be fun by saying "do some revision but have fun as well" and although the definition of "fun" may vary by each person like u mentioned before , isn't trying variety the best though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rock_Set)
    Do any of these have any maths in, or are they just discussing the concepts?
    More conceptual, but they do list and explain some of the important equations - more in terms of dissecting the complete equations (eg., what do the individual terms in the wave equation actually represent?) rather than rigorous mathematical proofs.

If you want to get a bit of maths in, I actually found Stroud and Booth very helpful - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-...dp_ob_title_bk

Loads and loads of exercises and practice equations, definitely the best way to get familiar with the bread and butter stuff eg., matrices, solving differential equations, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tech)
    More conceptual, but they do list and explain some of the important equations - more in terms of dissecting the complete equations (eg., what do the individual terms in the wave equation actually represent?) rather than rigorous mathematical proofs.

If you want to get a bit of maths in, I actually found Stroud and Booth very helpful - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-...dp_ob_title_bk

Loads and loads of exercises and practice equations, definitely the best way to get familiar with the bread and butter stuff eg., matrices, solving differential equations, etc.
    Ah, pretty expensive, would you really recommend it even the University I'm at doesn't use it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.