Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

'Cheryl Cole name change is not only horribly sexist, it’s also basically medieval' Watch

ReputationRep:
    Its tradition, nothing more. Plenty of people keep their names and give their kids double barrelled name.

These people just shouldn't get married. She's basically complaining about everything to do with marriage, the ceremony, the words, the traditions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    QI has taught me that the Greeks believed the womb could move about the body and that hysteria was induced when it did.
    It also lead to the invention of the vibrator in the Victorian era, where the treatment involved bringing the patient to "hysterical paroxsym" (orgasm) through "pelvic massage". The doctors found it too time-consuming to do it themselves, so a machine was invented to do it for them.

(Also didn't know that fact about the Greeks! Thanks!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    No it's not sexist. No it's not mysogynistic.

Just because you don't want to take your husbands surname doesn't mean other women don't. It's a stupid article written by a probably extreme feminist.
    This. I dont like the fact that there's a "Yes" Vote and a "No" vote. Wheres the "I dont care" vote?

ReputationRep:
    86% in the poll say that the wife should take the husband's surname.

Clearly huge support for the article writer's views then, lol...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    LOL at the poll on that article, 86% yes.
    It doesn't seem like The Mirror to cater to the Guardian crowd.

ReputationRep:
    It is sexist though and just as bad if people justify it by saying "tradition"

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather change my name to that of my wife/husband than vice-versa, I have no attachment whatsoever to my surname and she/he could have a great surname.

ReputationRep:
    I think there's more important issues women deal with (e.g. in some parts of Middle East) than name changes. Women have a CHOICE whether they want their name changed or not. Some don't, others want to. How is that sexist? They don't force her into anything.

ReputationRep:
    It would be medieval if it were law that it had to happen.
    It would be sexist if there was a huge amount of stigma and expectation for it to happen.

As it stands, it's choice. And although a few people might think it's a bit weird if she doesn't, they are the minority.
    I wouldn't date a man who expected me to change my name without any discussion. I would be open to a discussion on it, even if he very much preferred me to change, as long as he listened to my side. Having said that, I still don't have that big an attachment to my surname, so would probably change it unless I got something to tie me to it - like an academic publication or something.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think it's choice. If a woman wants to take her husbands name then she should be able to with no judgement and vice versa.

Some people, like this writer, think it's there job to force their opinions and values on others when it's really not.

A name is a name, and if you put so much worth into your surname then you're living life wrong v.v

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moutonfou)
    I want to keep my name if I get married because (a) I like it, and (b) when I marry my partner I will still be a member of my family. I'm not marrying my boyfriend's mum/dad/aunties/uncles - I'm marrying my boyfriend.
    Right, but that's not why people do it. You or your husband won't have the same name as your children - that's the main reason couples want the same name.

ReputationRep:
    This happened to one of my friends. Now the woman wants the child to have her surname, I think they might meet in the middle and get a double barrelled name.

ReputationRep:
    why would feminists fuss about keeping their own surname , its the one their (male) father gave them anyway :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meenglishnogood)
    why would feminists fuss about keeping their own surname , its the one their (male) father gave them anyway :confused:
    I admit that would be a contradiction if you were doing it as a feminist protest, but many people who don't take their husbands name aren't doing it to make a feminist point but just because they actually quite like their name and it's part of their identity. I'm not particularly a feminist but don't want to change my name because I just can't imagine any other name feeling like my name. It would feel like I wasn't me anymore.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    Right, but that's not why people do it. You or your husband won't have the same name as your children - that's the main reason couples want the same name.
    Tbh. Unless my husband has a real problem I would prefer him to take my name. So the kids thing wouldn't be an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    This article just appeared on my newsfeed, and although it is the Mirror I was curious. After having read it I do not see the big deal particularly. Admittedly I am male so I am pretty likely to keep my surname. I can understand if one had a professional reputation and so wanted to keep their surname for that sense. But other than that I am a bit stumped as to the big deal. Am I being very thick or is this another battleground feminists have taken to? Discuss.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...e-not-3870588#
    Yes a single article on the famous feminist publication The Mirror is indicative of every feminist everywhere, well done. Also, whenever a male does something he is representing males everywhere. Eliott Rodgers, felt entitled to sex, is this another battleground men have taken to? Every time Todd Akin speaks he is speaking for all conservatives.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That article was written by a dim feminazi.

Evidenced by the fact that she thought it would be a clever idea to put a poll at the bottom of the article (obviously she thought that everyone was going to share her view;

Should women take their husband's surname?

The results were: YES 86% NO 14%

Brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Tbh. Unless my husband has a real problem I would prefer him to take my name. So the kids thing wouldn't be an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    On the whole, it's an individual choice, so if there's no compulsion or stigma let every woman decide for herself. What really gets my goat is the fact that this suggestion is met with looks of horror; a woman can take a man's name or not, but if he takes her name people act as though they have 3 heads. I was quite proud of my OH when he suggested we take each other's names and go double-barreled, but even here he never suggested that he take mine and give his own up.

(We won't be taking each other's names BTW, but only for practical reasons - mine's too long and difficult to spell and his is double-barreled already!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    It's a stupid article written by a probably extreme feminist.
    What's so extreme about her position? Is she threatening anyone's rights, freedoms or lives? She just talks about the patriarchal historical elements of marriage and how it is still upheld in some ways.

Extremists don't sit around writing women's blogs advocating for a bit of thought over an element of society, they call for action and advocate for things that actually harm people. So how about you tedious little anti feminist take several seats and learn what the simple word extremist means. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh.
    People should be able to do what they want with their own names.
    If they want to change it, change it.
    If they want to keep it, keep it.
    If they both want to give themselves completely new surnames, that's cool too!
    People just can't keep their noses out of other people's business. :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.