Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Devolution in Wales Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Has devolution in Wales been for the better or the worse?
    For the better
    46.67%
    For the worse
    53.33%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Should North Yorkshire be devolved from a devolved Yorkshire since they are in agreement with Westminister?

Oh wait, thats what local Government is all about...
    Yes they should.
    Local government doesn't have very much in terms of power. Large regions like Yorkshire, Wales and NI should have parliaments like Scotland do. Especially when Yorkshire has a similar population to Scotland. The thing is that our 'democracy' does not serve these regions well and it would be best to let them have some autonomy, more than just bin collection and building benches to put it bluntly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KrisCussans)
    Yes they should.
    Local government doesn't have very much in terms of power. Large regions like Yorkshire, Wales and NI should have parliaments like Scotland do. Especially when Yorkshire has a similar population to Scotland. The thing is that our 'democracy' does not serve these regions well and it would be best to let them have some autonomy, more than just bin collection and building benches to put it bluntly.
    Fair enough, I didn't realise there was appetite for a different judiciary in North Yorkshire to South Yorkshire to Wearside. Or the NHS to operate independently. Or for more politicians for that matter.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm from England (Yorkshire) and I'd say they devolution is for the better, I'm a fan of autonomy and power to local authorities and hope that someday Yorkshire gets it's own assembly like Wales. I see no reason why we should be ruled by Westminster an entity which we are so ideologically opposed to.
    (Original post by Quady)
    Should North Yorkshire be devolved from a devolved Yorkshire since they are in agreement with Westminister?

Oh wait, thats what local Government is all about...
    Indeed, the nature of majority government means that not everyone can be governed by whom they voted for.

In this regard, the Welsh Assembly is worse for Conservative Mid and North Wales than Westminster rule at the moment.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm from England (Yorkshire) and I'd say they devolution is for the better, I'm a fan of autonomy and power to local authorities and hope that someday Yorkshire gets it's own assembly like Wales. I see no reason why we should be ruled by Westminster an entity which we are so ideologically opposed to.
    Ideologically opposed to. Labour won by just 2% last time in Yorkshire.

I'd personally rather have an assembly encompassing Merseyside, Greater Manchester, West and South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire. There's little of value to us in North and east Yorkshire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Ideologically opposed to. Labour won by just 2% last time in Yorkshire.

I'd personally rather have an assembly encompassing Merseyside, Greater Manchester, West and South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire. There's little of value to us in North and east Yorkshire.
    But devolution would allow for more regional parties, like Plaid Cymuru in Wales and SNP in Scotland. New Labour and the Tories are too similar to be good enough for Yorkshire. Westminster enables this political sameness when the counties and countries in the UK have requirements other than the broadchurch views of New Labour and the Tories.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    But devolution would allow for more regional parties, like Plaid Cymuru in Wales and SNP in Scotland. New Labour and the Tories are too similar to be good enough for Yorkshire. Westminster enables this political sameness when the counties and countries in the UK have requirements other than the broadchurch views of New Labour and the Tories.
    I don't want nationalist parties, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

ReputationRep:
    Wales Is unique in that because it has refused to adopt the Blair/Gove reforms it has actually fallen back, same for the NHS. That said it does keep electing Welsh Labour much like Bradford with its failure.

I'm actually struggling to think of any advantages to living in Wales.
    Do you live in Wales?

Free prescriptions? :dontknow:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TolerantBeing)
    Do you live in Wales?

Free prescriptions? :dontknow:
    Longer waiting lists cancel them out (and in any case 90% of English prescriptions are given out for free).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, just like all those Yorkshire focused parties on the local council. Like the 'Betty's Not Wiggo' party who have a majority in Harrogate Borough Council.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jebedee)
    I live in England now and it's way better here. Although I live in a nice city so I'm sure Wales is better than some of England's bad places, like Burnley for instance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Out of curiosity where did you live in Wales before? I think obviously you can't speak of England as a whole, same goes for Wales. Some parts of England are 'better' than some parts of Wales and vice versa. But I think obviously the proportion of poorer regions in Wales are greater than in England.

If you're in Cardiff, or near Cardiff you're alright in terms of employment, and standard of living. But while I can't speak for the other parts of Wales, the South Wales valleys are really struggling. Since the decline of coal mining and manufacturing such as the steel works, communities have completely lost their purpose. I always feel like I've gone back 30 years when visiting some places. No idea how they'd go about regenerating such places, but something has to be done, they've just stagnated and a lot of the young people just have no expectations.

Also I agree that the Welsh Assembly over-prioritises the importance of the Welsh language and Welsh historical culture, I feel like it's holding us back. They put way too much of an emphasis on learning Welsh as a second language in primary schools, but primary school children are too behind on first language development and literacy skills compared to England. I feel like if more funding was allocated to first language development and not Welsh as a second language, then there would be considerably more improvement in students performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Yeah, just like all those Yorkshire focused parties on the local council. Like the 'Betty's Not Wiggo' party who have a majority in Harrogate Borough Council.
    Haven't heard of them, they don't sound like a serious party. I was thinking more Yorkshire First and the Yorkshire Independence party (left-wing). Of course new parties can emerge.

There's no need to belittle Yorkshire devolution, it's the biggest country and has a similar population to Scotland and one bigger than Wales. So why shouldn't it have more autonomy?

ReputationRep:
    I don't want nationalist parties, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
    It's not about nationalism or the nationalistic ideology, the idea of the nation state or any of that garbage.
    It's about autonomy for a undemocratic entity and the write to govern locally rather than from Westminster, if Yorkshire is bigger than Wales and has a similar population than Scotland then why shouldn't it be devolved, have autonomy or independence?

It might mean the UK being more powerful, but I personally don't care for the goals of the UK government I care for the people and the UK government has clearly shown no interest in the people, when run by New labour or the Tories.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't heard of them, they don't sound like a serious party. I was thinking more Yorkshire First and the Yorkshire Independence party (left-wing). Of course new parties can emerge.

There's no need to belittle Yorkshire devolution, it's the biggest country and has a similar population to Scotland and one bigger than Wales. So why shouldn't it have more autonomy?
    Any councilors yet?

Not actual control of a council, but any councillors at all (or elected positions)?

In fact have they stood in any election where they have had their deposit returned...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Any councilors yet?

Not actual control of a council, but any councillors at all (or elected positions)?

In fact have they stood in any election where they have had their deposit returned...?
    I'm not sure, regardless I am talking of what could happen in the event of Scottish independence. I hope with Scotland gone a more Tory centered nation may force Northern regions to seek independence to break from them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.