Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GDL Funding help?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yes I have applied for any Legal Secretary jobs that came up but no success so far, I even self-funded the Legal Secretarial Diploma with The Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs thinking it may help but no luck so far.. I also am a Litigant Support Volunteer for the PSU at Newcastle Combined Court... Trying so hard but feel like I'm getting nowhere... :-(

ReputationRep:
    You will do! Fingers crossed & something will come up, be persistent & I'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end! 🍀

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elaine77)
    I already asked them and they said to look at charitable trusts for help but all that the Uni could offer was an Access to learning fund which isn't allowed to be used on fees just maintenance...which is not what I need, its the fees I can't cover..

I don't think the GDL location matters its the applications for pupillage's...or even TCs.. up here there are hardly any opportunities and probably lots and lots of graduates applying for them..

I posted in another thread and have been told to basically give up as I have no chance lol... It certainly looks that way anyway....
    I'm going to sound like some sort of quasi-philosoph/motivational speaker here, but what the ****...

Cynics will tell you that it's impossible and you should just give up, but if this is truly your dream, you should pursue it with vigor until you come to the end of your journey of your own accord.

Gather enough data and do enough research that will allow you to make an informed decision. Whether you postpone/withdraw should be a conclusion you come to for yourself, not as a result of someone telling you give up because "it's impossible" on an online forum.
    I'm not saying go and fly off, all overly optimistic and naive, believing everything will be OK.
    Remain grounded, b
    e realistic and plan for every eventuality (even the bad ones); it's your life, so don't allow others to make your decisions for you.

And to be even more banal, here's an image that's always brightened my outlook:

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that Tucks!

I have already had to put up with my whole family not believing someone from our background can make it in that profession never mind everyone else too lol. I will have to withdraw from Northumbria as they are expecting the fees in 2 weeks time and i don't have them but i am still looking to see if there are any other GDL institutions where it might be possible... none of them seem to have centres up here in the North East though (the closest being leeds) and to do it by e-learnings its £3k more :-O !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elaine77)
    Thanks for that Tucks!

I have already had to put up with my whole family not believing someone from our background can make it in that profession never mind everyone else too lol. I will have to withdraw from Northumbria as they are expecting the fees in 2 weeks time and i don't have them but i am still looking to see if there are any other GDL institutions where it might be possible... none of them seem to have centres up here in the North East though (the closest being leeds) and to do it by e-learnings its £3k more :-O !
    Haha, no worries, I know where you're coming from and I empathise greatly. I have a similar sort of background and it'll be a huge struggle for me as well I expect, but until I've exhausted every option I possibly have, I'll not be throwing in the towel! Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Lol thanks Tucks, I am getting rather a lot of grief on my other thread about it! Being told I haven't worked hard enough or am just not clever enough! Nice...

ReputationRep:
    Just be realistic and be logical. Analyse all the data you can and make an informed decision.

If people want to provide you with information, that's fine, but people telling you to give up are, in my opinion, out of line. It's your life, your decision. If what you decide turns out to be a mistake, it'll be one you will have learnt from.

Obviously there's following your dream, and then there's going too far, i.e. Getting yourself into insane debt with no guarantee of a job at the end of it all. As I've said, don't let others dissuade you from what you want to do, but ensure you stay logical and grounded whilst arriving to your decision.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, the debt is obviously a very important factor to me with me having a family and a household to consider. As far as information goes the information they have "given" me is basically that:

Im not clever enough
    Ive not worked hard enough
    Ive got no chance
    Wanting to be a Barrister is pointless because I am a woman and I have children and childcare is expensive and Barristers are self employed and so don't get maternity leave so, as a woman, I need a job with a regular, guaranteed income.

And here I was thinking the law profession needed to change because it was sexist and elitist...how could I think such a thing! lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.