Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should women, married to men, take their husbands last name? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mubariz)
    What if he has a name that really wouldn't go well you know, really stupid

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If his surname was something like Lord Buttface, I'd just come up with a new one entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    (I think it should be a choice for either partner not a necessity. )

Dicuss.

Edit: removed "heterosexual" from title and rejigged it, caused discussion away from question.
    Think it should be a choice if she wants to fine, if not fine if she wants to double barrel fine

(Original post by Mr Smurf)
    It's her choice. However if the guy does not want to marry her because she wont then that is also his choice.
    That would be stupid for some women it takes them back to ownership by men and that's why they are against it there really isn't a reason for a man to not marry someone because won't take his surname and if he won't he isn't worth it anyway.

(Original post by Alrounder79)
    It should be a choice.

My mum actually kept her maiden name and I was given my dad's maiden name.
    Men don't have a maiden name :L

(Original post by tnetennba)
    I basically agree with this. I think it's sad that so many women readily give up their identities (to adopt someone else's) though. In an ideal world I would keep my name or hybridise/remix it with my partner's. I don't like the idea of all of my future offspring having only my husband's name, either. Anything that sits in my womb for 9 months is coming out with my [hybridised] name on it!
    Hahaha I completely agree with all of that!

ReputationRep:
    Think it's a personal choice thing. It's traditional and I think I will unless my partner has a horrendous surname (however much I want to keep my awesome one). My English teacher legally took her husband's name but kept her maiden name in school. People have lots of weird ways of sorting names out. I'd prefer my kids not to have a double barreled name purely because it gets a bit awkward if they ever have kids out of marriage, triple barreled is taking it a tad far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoriajackson)

Men don't have a maiden name :L

Surname* lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoriajackson)
    That would be stupid for some women it takes them back to ownership by men and that's why they are against it there really isn't a reason for a man to not marry someone because won't take his surname and if he won't he isn't worth it
    It's not stupid since most women do take their husbands surname. I wouldn't marry if she did not want my surname. I would not think I was "owning" her but its one of the few things about marriage I am traditional about (along with me proposing with a ring etc.).

ReputationRep:
    I think they should be because when men marry women, they cease to be the property of their father and become the property of their new husband and the wife must be labelled as such.

ReputationRep:
    Women should do whatever the hell want to do. My wife really wanted to take my name but it would have been a bureaucratic pain in the ass at the time because we're from different countries. We got married in Eastern Europe and when we registered there the female clerks though she was keeping her name because of ''you go gurrl'' reasons. They were looking at each other and seemed to be thinking ''we got a live one here'' LMAO.

(Original post by Snagprophet)
    I think they should be because when men marry women, they cease to be the property of their father and become the property of their new husband and the wife must be labelled as such.
    Marriage certificates in Eng&Wal only contain the fathers' name and job, the mum isn't even mentioned. Strong patriarchy.

ReputationRep:
    I'll take my wife's name, and in return she can have my balls :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If she wants to. It should not concern others. It's not a question of 'should she' but rather 'would you'?

ReputationRep:
    I would if it matched my first name, my mum took my dads first name as her last name because it matched better and a few people don't even take on their husbands last name at all.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the idea to be perfectly honest. Taking your husband's name, along with being given away by your father, basically suggests that the woman is simply a man's possession, handed from one to the other. It's so degrading and even though I don't like my surname I wouldn't want to just mindlessly take my husband's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZeniB)
    I hate the idea to be perfectly honest. Taking your husband's name, along with being given away by your father, basically suggests that the woman is simply a man's possession, handed from one to the other. It's so degrading and even though I don't like my surname I wouldn't want to just mindlessly take my husband's.
    Why not just view it with a more positive outlook, this isn't 1800's India. Just see it as you're dad (or mum and dad) saying I looked after this girl for x number of years, now please can you do the same for me. It's your perception of viewing from a backwards angle that gives you such a negative outlook, the tradition is what you make of it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I don't care. Loads of women I know kept their maiden names for work but took their husband's in their personal lives.

ReputationRep:
    It seems to be the way things happen

ReputationRep:
    I was about to say, inb4 the feminists but they already got here so ah well

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't concern me what others do and as long as both parties are in agreement it obviously should be down to choice.

However, I will be taking my husbands name and I view those who don't as contrarians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    It doesn't concern me what others do and as long as both parties are in agreement it obviously should be down to choice.

However, I will be taking my husbands name and I view those who don't as contrarians.
    If I were a girl and my Husband's last name was Pissov or Dumas I wouldn't take it

:lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mubariz)
    If I were a girl and my Husband's last name was Passover or Dumas I wouldn't take it

:lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    It should be a choice, but it's a nice tradition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    I don't get it.
    Erm autocorrect

I meant Pissov

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.