Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah. How many bulls will i be Able to raise on 200-300 acres and how much will i earn yearly including selling crops!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fruitbatapple)
    School wont let me. Because i know english Perfectly. Absolute joke

what i meant is for an extra GCSE. i know 2 people in my school who did their polish gcse as an extra gcse beside the others and one portuguesse girl did purtuguese GCSE too.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah. How many bulls will i be Able to raise on 200-300 acres and how much will i earn yearly including selling crops!
    What sort of herd do you want? I would say a suckler herd would be easiest, but it may be possible to do intensive stores (fattening and finishing) of dairy bulls. It is really dependent of what sort of herd.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a farmer, haven't been to ag college or similar (though I've worked on farms, and currently design agricultural machinery) but to be honest I think you're going to struggle to get your own farm anytime soon. I've got a few friends from families with small farms, and they're working full time jobs more or less to subsidise the farm - and that's without having to pay for the farm in the first place. The problem is land in the UK is really expensive, and it's getting more and more expensive all the time - investment companies have been buying up arable land in particular for a few years now. Unless you've got the money to scrape together to buy or rent a decent block of land you'll break your back to make little if any money. Small scale farming doesn't really pay - you've still got to buy pretty much all the same machinery and most of the other overheads, but you've got much less chance of making money from it.
    You might be able to get a job as a farm manager if you do a degree and have some experience, although you'll probably need to work up to that. I did look into it a while back, but came to the conclusion that to own your own farm meant you either had to inherit it or earn the money doing something else first.

Oh and growing sugar beet to sell (rather than for feed) is pretty much just in the area near-ish to Bury St Edmunds - I believe that's the only sugar beet processing site in the UK. We grew it on a farm I worked on so I know a bit about it, if you grow more than your allowance it's virtually worthless!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    What sort of herd do you want? I would say a suckler herd would be easiest, but it may be possible to do intensive stores (fattening and finishing) of dairy bulls. It is really dependent of what sort of herd.
    Maybe limousine(dont know if u spell it like that), holstein fresian, charolais, Hereford, Angus or Belgian blue

ReputationRep:
    For a 300 acre farm, these usually sell for just above £2 million. I am only aware as a friend of mine owns one and I have spoke to him before about the business side. If you want to check out prices, then www.uklandandfarms.co.uk is good for this. Good luck for the future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.