Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Seriously stressing out now, please help/advice Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths learner)
    The other one was more relevant you said so turning down the 17k isn't that stupid. And anyway, 17k isn't that much, plus once you factor in 20% tax rate and rent for housing etc you aren't left with all that much.
    Yeah, I living with my parents at the moment, so I don't really have to pay housing rent etc.

The salary isn't bothering me much as I am still a student.

I just feel stupid turning down an offer without receiving any other offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sena5)
    aww best wishes
    Thanks.

I know it was a decision I had to make, but I feel it may benefit me long term.

If not, I will regret it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingStannis)
    You should have taken it. 17k as a student is great, plus experience is at least as important as a degree.

But there's no point dwelling on it.
    But it was for something that I didn't like/believe in.

It has no benefit to my degree or dissertation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    Experience wise it was probably a mistake to turn it down but not one that you won't recover from certainly not a career ending move.

Also if you were going to be doing 3rd line support how come you were only going to be offered £17k?
    Because I am student looking for a year placement.

Why does 3rd line support roles offer more money?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by po10tial)
    Yeah, I living with my parents at the moment, so I don't really have to pay housing rent etc.

The salary isn't bothering me much as I am still a student.

I just feel stupid turning down an offer without receiving any other offers
    Ah that's fair enough. Have you heard back from the other placement yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths learner)
    Ah that's fair enough. Have you heard back from the other placement yet?
    Not yet, no.

Hopefully I get it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    £17k is pretty high for a placement. It's basically for experience, the money is just a bonus.
    True, but I have to be committed for a year.

Just something about it that I didn't like.

Some places, I will just say yes to without thinking twice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    How much do you make out of curiosity?

To the OP

No, you haven't made a stupid decision, probably should have took it until you found something more suitable but oh well.

Don't dwell on it
    True.

I guess you have to take risks and tough decisions in life.

I just couldn't see myself working there to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really a mistake as it was something you didn't care about, if it was something you liked and you rejected it then that would be a big stupid but people do stupid stuff all the time so I wouldn't worry too much.

ReputationRep:
    Because I am student looking for a year placement.

Why does 3rd line support roles offer more money?
    Well it's just i'm looking at getting into IT but have no qualifications (but do have experience) so i'm aiming for a really low level job to get a foot on the ladder. I'm going for first line support only, which offer on average around £16,000 but can be higher if you're lucky.

From my understanding 3rd line support is vastly more qualified than 1st and 2nd. If 3rd line can't fix it then it's beyond repair. I would have thought such a vast amount of knowledge and skill would attract more than 17k even just for a placement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    Well it's just i'm looking at getting into IT but have no qualifications (but do have experience) so i'm aiming for a really low level job to get a foot on the ladder. I'm going for first line support only, which offer on average around £16,000 but can be higher if you're lucky.

From my understanding 3rd line support is vastly more qualified than 1st and 2nd. If 3rd line can't fix it then it's beyond repair. I would have thought such a vast amount of knowledge and skill would attract more than 17k even just for a placement.
    I don't know.

I have spent the past two years at uni, developing apps.

I see myself as a programmer/developer, not a tech support expert.

The salary was good and tempting, but its the fact that I have to manage on my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gonzolo)
    It's not really a mistake as it was something you didn't care about, if it was something you liked and you rejected it then that would be a big stupid but people do stupid stuff all the time so I wouldn't worry too much.
    Thanks for the encouragement.

Yeah, now that I put into perspective, I don't see why I am stressing too much.

I mean, I am still young and there are plenty of other opportunities.

Besides, I went to a programming role recently and if I am lucky I could bag the job.

ReputationRep:
    True, but I am a student.

For some reason, I never really liked it since the moment I went for that interview.

A lot of people I know are businessmen - and they only advised me to go for it (for them its about £££).
    In life you are going to have to take jobs you don't like for the short term if you want to progress further

But it's only a placement, and you aren't any worse off as a result of not taking it

Don't let it upset you now the decision has been made

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    In life you are going to have to take jobs you don't like for the short term if you want to progress further

But it's only a placement, and you aren't any worse off as a result of not taking it

Don't let it upset you now the decision has been made
    True.

There are still plenty of other opportunities available.

Besides I have yet to hear back from my other interview.

If I get that role then I have every reason to be happy for rejecting this one today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimir)
    Wouldn't get out of bed for £17k. There's much better paid stuff out there for you no doubt.
    Yeah, I didn't reject it for the money.

It was more to do with the benefits of actually doing the placement.

I just felt that it wouldn't help me with my dissertation and that I may get bored of the job easily

ReputationRep:
    True.

There are still plenty of other opportunities available.

Besides I have yet to hear back from my other interview.

If I get that role then I have every reason to be happy for rejecting this one today
    exactly, despite what I said before the placement wasn't right for you (from what you say) so how relevant would it have been in the future

anyway good luck for hearing back about the interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ripper-Roo)
    exactly, despite what I said before the placement wasn't right for you (from what you say) so how relevant would it have been in the future

anyway good luck for hearing back about the interview!
    Thanks

Yeah I have calmed down a bit, and not regretting it as much.

If I get the other job, then it will make me a lot happier... its just a waiting game now
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thanks.

I know it was a decision I had to make, but I feel it may benefit me long term.

If not, I will regret it
    I understand..:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sena5)
    I understand..:hugs:
    lol thanks
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    lol thanks
    No worries
    Lemme know how the job is once you start it..:jumphug:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.