Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByronicHero)
    Which universities?

I'm not going to guess how academic you are.
    Clever :P

(Original post by an100)
    if you want to get a degree then do the a levels and apply for the universities, but if your main concern is to be able to get a good job, then you can go into job straightaway, many people have not done alevels but are very successful in their career.
    Yeah im looking for ways outside a level

(Original post by _jake_)
    A foundation year which takes place at an actual university (like a year 0) does require A-levels. These years are funded by student finance and you can stay in Halls, so it's basically just a degree that takes four years rather than three. Some of these courses do allow people with lots of relevant work experience in the subject area, but I'm not sure if this applies to you.

However, if you don't have A-levels, your local further education college should have 'Access' courses which normally take a year to complete and can be used as a replacement for A-levels and you can use it to apply to University to study whatever course you like - as long as you have completed relevant modules. Some colleges have 'Access to Humanities', 'Access to Science' and 'Access to Health Professions' courses, so you have to pick which is relevant to the degree subject you wish to study. Furthermore, these courses are NOT funded by student finance and will have to be paid for privately and the cost can vary, but they are not normally any more than £5000. Also most universities don't publish their access requirements as entry this way is in the minority, so you will have to contact them directly.
    Thanks when can i start access? What do you mean by they dont publish their access requirements?

So Access = more costs and a levels is cheaper am I right? If i do a level its 2 years and access its 1 year? with access I can have access to full honours degree yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _jake_)
    I've just looked at The Manchester College - because I'm bored - and noticed that they have an amazing amount of access courses! Here's a few for you to take a look at:

Nursing and Allied health professions http://www.themanchestercollege.ac.u...th-Professions

Med, Dentistry, Pharmacy http://www.themanchestercollege.ac.u...edical-Science

Law http://www.themanchestercollege.ac.u...-criminology-0

Business and Management http://www.themanchestercollege.ac.u...ess-management

Humanities and Social Sciences http://www.themanchestercollege.ac.u...ocial-sciences

And there is loads more, just go to their website and in the search box type 'access'.

How old are you by the way?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Access courses are the simplest, quickest and most efficient way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    What if your 18? Also the lady said that access doesn't necessarily mean you will get accepted by the uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlaveEarth)
    What if your 18? Also the lady said that access doesn't necessarily mean you will get accepted by the uni
    Sorry, if you are 18 then it'll have to be A levels. Access is widely accepted by universities, whatever 'the lady' says.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    This.
    Though my only concern is that graduate employers don't like Access courses; prefering A level or BTEC qualifications (on UCAS point basis).
    Access doesn't give UCAS points does it?

ReputationRep:
    Thought you said you were 19 :P
    Yeah; though if you do well you will most likely get a place, as long as all is well with application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    Thought you said you were 19 :P
    Yeah; though if you do well you will most likely get a place, as long as all is well with application.
    do well in what mr walter white?

ReputationRep:
    This.
    Though my only concern is that graduate employers don't like Access courses; prefering A level or BTEC qualifications (on UCAS point basis).
    Access offers are made on a different basis to Ucas points, but it's not my area of expertise.

ReputationRep:
    This.
    hmm

ReputationRep:
    Access offers are made on a different basis to Ucas points, but it's not my area of expertise.
    dont u hav to be 21+

ReputationRep:
    do well in what mr walter white?
    An access course.

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    Just when looking at career options; graduate employers often ask for such and such UCAS points (often around 280).
    I'm assuming with Access, you will be omitted from their applications? (due to not fulfilling that requirement).

ReputationRep:
    An access course.
    possible to get access course at young age? im 19 n girlfriends 18

ReputationRep:
    dont u hav to be 21+
    Yes, sorry, I missed your age earlier on. Doing too many threads at once.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, sorry, I missed your age earlier on. Doing too many threads at once.
    do you?

ReputationRep:
    possible to get access course at young age? im 19 n girlfriends 18
    Some offer the course at 19 years of age, though many are 21... I think.

Is your first language English?
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Reporter Team
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    what are my options? I come from manchester lot of friends etc have got full a levels unfortunately I had a health problem which lead me to not studying. I do have GCSES. What are my future options? I was thinking to go back to USA and study there. What are foundation degrees? Do ALL foundation degrees lead to honours degree? Will foundation degree garentee me a honours?
    Someone might have suggested this already, but what about open university?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.