The Student Room Group

Anyone else on JSA

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Jarred
As much as they wrongly treat JSA applicants like scum, they won't sanction you so long as you meet your claimant commitment, you can easily get away with just applying to 5 jobs a week.

Not that I'm advocating that, I'm on it right now and put in more effort than that because I quite desperately want a job at this stage. It's not even about the money, I just can't stand having to deal with such rude and horrible people. One of my advisors is absolutely lovely, but the others can be really horrible and there's just no need for it.

5 jobs, dream on, I am on JSA after dropping out of uni, I have to spend 39 hours a week searching for jobs and apply to at least 21 a week, I also have to go to the job centre every Monday, Wednesday and Friday because i was told that because I was young and dropped out of uni, therefore was 'high risk'. and they 'had to keep a close eye on me'. Now the silly cow has told me to keep a 'timesheet' of when i do my job related activity for every day and when I asked why, I was told ' because the job center want me to and if I don't do it will have very bad consequences for me' god knows what that meant but sounded like she would expel me to a ghetto or summat.
Reply 21
Original post by ElChapo
How and why are they horrible, they're supposed to help you out man

Posted from TSR Mobile

They hardly do though :frown: With the exception of the nice one, they are really hostile and just spend the whole time talking down to you and treat you as way below them like a piece of rubbish. The whole system seems to be designed to intimidate and denigrate people to be honest, and as much as I believe in tough welfare, I don't think this sort of environment works at all. I certainly don't want an easy ride, I'm not there to be cuddled, but I would at least like to be treated with basic manners. The attitude on one of them was unreal, she was a post-menopausal woman acting like an angsty teenager.

Original post by zazalla.
5 jobs, dream on, I am on JSA after dropping out of uni, I have to spend 39 hours a week searching for jobs and apply to at least 21 a week, I also have to go to the job centre every Monday, Wednesday and Friday because i was told that because I was young and dropped out of uni, therefore was 'high risk'. and they 'had to keep a close eye on me'. Now the silly cow has told me to keep a 'timesheet' of when i do my job related activity for every day and when I asked why, I was told ' because the job center want me to and if I don't do it will have very bad consequences for me' god knows what that meant but sounded like she would expel me to a ghetto or summat.

That sounds a lot harsher than what I have. I'm in a similar situation in some ways I suppose: I'm a drop-out as well though I will be starting a new course in the future. They've told me I need to apply to a minimum of 5 a week but I apply to many more than that because right now I just want anything I can get. I have to sign on once a week, and have to make sure I send in screenshots of all the jobs I apply for including dates, but other than that there's not much I'm told to do. I was forced to go on a course a few days ago which was run by a training company, but that was actually really good and has helped me a lot.
Original post by SmashingChap
Nice try, you two only work because you have too, and you pay taxes because it benefits the society you are a part of. Don't act like you're doing something noble. You pay taxes because when someone robs your house you want the police to come round, you want roads to drive your car along and street lamps to walk under when you stumble home from the pub.

Nice try, you two only work because you have too, and you pay taxes because it benefits the society you are a part of. Don't act like you're doing something noble. You pay taxes because when someone robs your house you want the police to come round, you want roads to drive your car along and street lamps to walk under when you stumble home from the pub.

That was a mild form of satire luv :biggrin:
Original post by Jarred
They hardly do though :frown: With the exception of the nice one, they are really hostile and just spend the whole time talking down to you and treat you as way below them like a piece of rubbish. The whole system seems to be designed to intimidate and denigrate people to be honest, and as much as I believe in tough welfare, I don't think this sort of environment works at all. I certainly don't want an easy ride, I'm not there to be cuddled, but I would at least like to be treated with basic manners. The attitude on one of them was unreal, she was a post-menopausal woman acting like an angsty teenager.

That sounds a lot harsher than what I have. I'm in a similar situation in some ways I suppose: I'm a drop-out as well though I will be starting a new course in the future. They've told me I need to apply to a minimum of 5 a week but I apply to many more than that because right now I just want anything I can get. I have to sign on once a week, and have to make sure I send in screenshots of all the jobs I apply for including dates, but other than that there's not much I'm told to do. I was forced to go on a course a few days ago which was run by a training company, but that was actually really good and has helped me a lot.

I am it's not stressful at all(at leas the being on JSA aspect)

If anything I am exceptionally thankful that myself my wife and my daughter aren't starving or homeless, and that all I have to do to continue to not starve is to search for jobs two hours a day(Something I would do anyway).

Is my wallet tight? Absolutely
But I don't have a job of course money is going to be tight, in most places on earth that would mean starvation and extreme poverty in the UK it doesn't.

Do what they ask you to do, and enjoy still living a prosperous and affluent life by any sensible standard.
JSA is easy. I was on it before I went to Uni and spent 6 months on it. I would spend my weekdays looking for jobs and the weekends (bleeding into the weekdays) going to raves and house parties, only paid for by free money.

2 hours a day is nothing, I would normally search at least 7 hours a day.
Original post by ForgetMe
If you want money, you have to earn them by doing something productive. Why should people who work hard pay for someone like you who isn't bothered to look for jobs just for 2 hours a day?

Cos most people my age are supported by parents, so don't have to do it.
Original post by Jarred
As much as they wrongly treat JSA applicants like scum, they won't sanction you so long as you meet your claimant commitment, you can easily get away with just applying to 5 jobs a week.

Not that I'm advocating that, I'm on it right now and put in more effort than that because I quite desperately want a job at this stage. It's not even about the money, I just can't stand having to deal with such rude and horrible people. One of my advisors is absolutely lovely, but the others can be really horrible and there's just no need for it.

Do you have to go every week? I thought it was only every 2 weeks, but I have to go every week.
Original post by DiddyDec
JSA is easy. I was on it before I went to Uni and spent 6 months on it. I would spend my weekdays looking for jobs and the weekends (bleeding into the weekdays) going to raves and house parties, only paid for by free money.

2 hours a day is nothing, I would normally search at least 7 hours a day.

Were you living at home though?
I was on it for about 5 months back in 2012 after I was made redundant. It was probably the worst, most depressing time of my life. Not only were the people in the jobcentre rude and condescending but most of the time I was bored out of my mind. The stressful part for me wasn't having to look for jobs for two hours a day, it was being interrogated by the staff at the jobcentre and having to fill out a stupid "diary".

Thankfully I was only using it for a while until I started college but I just hope I never have to go on it again.
Reply 30
You complete wasteman.

Get up off your fat ass and look for a job then? Be a man about it, you've got arms, legs, a brain & you live in a place where it's really not hard to get a job. If it comes down to it do night shifts, or work at Pizza Hut as a driver.. They're always hiring.

Don't sit there on JSA and cry about it.

Pull yourself together & stop begging for sympathy
Original post by cheeriosarenice
Were you living at home though?

Yeah. But I could have easily survived away from home. You get plenty of money.
Yeah. But I could have easily survived away from home. You get plenty of money.

you only get 56 a week. bills and rent only leave me with 35
Original post by SHOO
You complete wasteman.

Get up off your fat ass and look for a job then? Be a man about it, you've got arms, legs, a brain & you live in a place where it's really not hard to get a job. If it comes down to it do night shifts, or work at Pizza Hut as a driver.. They're always hiring.

Don't sit there on JSA and cry about it.

Pull yourself together & stop begging for sympathy

Your opinion is completely invalid as you live at home with your parents
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
I was on it for about 5 months back in 2012 after I was made redundant. It was probably the worst, most depressing time of my life. Not only were the people in the jobcentre rude and condescending but most of the time I was bored out of my mind. The stressful part for me wasn't having to look for jobs for two hours a day, it was being interrogated by the staff at the jobcentre and having to fill out a stupid "diary".

Thankfully I was only using it for a while until I started college but I just hope I never have to go on it again.

How did you go to college fulltime whilst on benefits?
you only get 56 a week. bills and rent only leave me with 35

35 for food and travel can't be that bad.
I just started to keep me going until I find something. The girl was really nice and kept saying to me that she doubted I'd be with them long. I only need to go every two weeks and I can just write down what I've applied to. Seems fair.
How did you go to college fulltime whilst on benefits?

I didn't. I said on my post "I was just using it until I started college".
35 for food and travel can't be that bad.

Have you ever lived by yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blue_Mason

You can't manage the quote function for love nor money can you?

Quick Reply

Latest