Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhibla)
    I really don't want to start an argument which uses stereotypes and racism to justify an argument, so ok.
    How is that racist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    How is that racist?
    Suggesting that there is something inherent in Islamic culture that causes a people to be violent and criminal is racist.

ReputationRep:
    Suggesting that there is something inherent in Islamic culture that causes a people to be violent and criminal is racist.
    But where does this relate to anything genetic, i.e. a race, as opposed to people who are only different because of what they believe?

ReputationRep:
    But where does this relate to anything genetic, i.e. a race, as opposed to people who are only different because of what they believe?
    Islamophobia is a form of racism. The usual objection to defining it in that way is that muslims are not a race. But since all racists are socially and politically constructed rather than reliant on the reality of any biological race, it is perfectly possible for cultural markers associated with muslimness (forms of dress, rituals, languages ect) to be turned into racial signifiers. -Adun kundnani

ReputationRep:
    Islamophobia is a form of racism. The usual objection to defining it in that way is that muslims are not a race. But since all racists are socially and politically constructed rather than reliant on the reality of any biological race, it is perfectly possible for cultural markers associated with muslimness (forms of dress, rituals, languages ect) to be turned into racial signifiers. -Adun kundnani
    Islam is not a race. Therefore it is impossible to be racist to someone by focusing only on their race. Cultural signifiers, such as my western T shirt and shorts, do not make me racially western and speaking English is not why I am racially English.

People apply 'racism' to any kind of criticism or prejudice or anything else in order to get more attention from it. It makes no sense at all when used outside of genetics.

ReputationRep:
    Islam is not a race. Therefore it is impossible to be racist to someone by focusing only on their race. Cultural signifiers, such as my western T shirt and shorts, do not make me racially western and speaking English is not why I am racially English.

People apply 'racism' to any kind of criticism or prejudice or anything else in order to get more attention from it. It makes no sense at all when used outside of genetics.
    Didn't you just read what I wrote? It is racism.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you just read what I wrote? It is racism.
    You can't call something racist because you want to feel important.

ReputationRep:
    You can't call something racist because you want to feel important.
    I justified in a paragraph why. Don't blame me because you chose to ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    Their point was that islam was the problem. Mine is that the vandalism and criminal damage has little to do with islam. If you disagree that islam isn't the problem, what is the point? I'm confused.
    Do you condemn attacks on Jewish businesses?

Why do you think that people protesting ostensibly against Israel would attack Jewish targets like synagogues and Jewish shops?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniOfLife)
    Do you condemn attacks on Jewish businesses?

Why do you think that people protesting ostensibly against Israel would attack Jewish targets like synagogues and Jewish shops?

Hello again! I disagree with any innocents being attacked! I disagree with anti-semetism and racism full stop. I don't care of their jewish or buddist. So yes. I do condemn them. Also they're anti-semetic, I'm not denying that.

ReputationRep:
    I justified in a paragraph why. Don't blame me because you chose to ignore it.
    What, wearing clothes and speaking is a racial? Yeah what an appropriate comparison.

ReputationRep:
    This has also been happening in Germany, a country where chanting slogans such as 'gas the Jews' would usually be considered a serious hate crime. Funnily enough though, when Muslims do it, none of them get arrested.

I'm seriously sick of Muslims getting special treatment.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.