Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Steven Gerrard retires from England duty Watch

ReputationRep:
    people saying he hasn't performed in an England shirt are talking bs. He was England's best player at Euro 2012 and the 2006 & 2010 WC's. It was other players who didn't step up to the mark in those tournaments. It's like saying he hasn't performed for Liverpool because they haven't won the league under him.

Obviously this is the right time to step down... he has some serious limitations on how he can play now, and Hodgson simply doesn't know how to use him, so there's no point bothering.

There's a lack of real candidates for captain now. It has to be a definite starter which for me basically leaves Hart, Cahill and Henderson. Cahill isn't really captain material, he relies a lot on Terry's leadership at club level. Hart is a GK, which isn't my cup of tea, but might be the most suitable option.

I'd personally go for Henderson but I know that literally nobody will agree with me. He was captain for the U21's and given a lot of credit for how he handled that, it seems like a natural progression to me. However I have doubts Hodgson will know how to get the best out of him, so his performances for England will continue to be average and people will call for him to be dropped.

So it comes down to this. If Hodgson continues to be clueless on how to set up an effective midfield and attack, then Hart should be captain. If however Hodgson miraculously becomes a good manager overnight and gets us playing decent football, then it should be Henderson.

Just please not Rooney. Sturridge and Rooney are not compatible, so it should be one or the other starting, based on form and how they fit into the style of play and any specific tactics for the particular game. So basically neither should be a definite starter and therefore neither should be a candidate for captain (not that Sturridge would be a candidate anyway). Also a captain should be someone intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Realistically, who else is there? The only other alternatives I can see are Hart and Cahill, neither of whom are particularly inspiring options. I don't disagree with you but I think Rooney is the best of a bad bunch.
    I completely agree, there is not an obvious choice and that worries me. Maybe in a few years Henderson or one of the new centre backs could step up? Personally I would probably not announce it yet, I would wait until the build up to the games in September. I would probably pick Rooney on the basis that it will be changed after Euro 2016 and tell him that. 2 years from now Rooney might not be a guaranteed starter for England (he already might not be for United) and hopefully by then someone will step up.
    My complaint was not really that Rooney was the wrong choice, it was that there isn't really a good choice.

ReputationRep:
    We always knew this would happen, I don't know why people are so shocked.

Please to god don't make Rooney captain. I'd rather have Joe Hart.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Most complete footballer England have produced in decades.

Joe Hart for captain for me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Doran)
    My complaint was not really that Rooney was the wrong choice, it was that there isn't really a good choice.
    It's quite sad, really. 10 years ago you could have your pick from Neville, Terry, Campbell, Rio, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    It's quite sad, really. 10 years ago you could have your pick from Neville, Terry, Campbell, Rio, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard.
    Worrying thing is I can't really see anyone stepping up to his level any time soon as a captain. Henderson, stones, maybe Jones. it is hard enough to predict a team in 2 years, never mind a good captain.

ReputationRep:
    Good time to bow out. England have a tough task finding a replacement captain. That pool to pick from is pretty terrible :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Some harsh posts in here. Gerrard has been one of England's most consistent players over the years. That maybe not saying much, because the majority hasn't done that well for England. He has still been a positive influence on the team.

It was the right time for him to retire. We have to move on.

ReputationRep:
    Shame he didn't retire before the World Cup otherwise we might've got out of the Group Stage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Probably why the Italian NT hand over the captain to one with the most caps instead of making it something overly special, like the FA want it to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllieDS)
    Shame he didn't retire before the World Cup otherwise we might've got out of the Group Stage.
    Yeah, because it was clearly Gerrard who caused England to exit at the Group Stage...

(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Probably why the Italian NT hand over the captain to one with the most caps instead of making it something overly special, like the FA want it to be.
    Would you really want Glen Johnson to be in contention, though?

My personal choice would be Cahill, closely followed by Hart and Rooney. As people have said, hopefully someone steps up in a few years, such as Henderson, Wilshere, Jones, Barkley or Stones, but there is currently little choice. However, I wouldn't say there is a lack of young talent, so it's likely one of the players I've listed will become England captain one day (my bet is on Wilshere).

This could be England's team in five years time in all goes well:
    Hart
    Stones - Cahill - Jones - Shaw
    Henderson - Wilshere
    Sterling - Barkley - Lallana
    Sturridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procrastin8R)
    Yeah, because it was clearly Gerrard who caused England to exit at the Group Stage...

My personal choice would be Cahill, closely followed by Hart and Rooney. As people have said, hopefully someone steps up in a few years, such as Henderson, Wilshere, Jones, Barkley or Stones, but there is currently little choice. However, I wouldn't say there is a lack of young talent, so it's likely one of the players I've listed will become England captain one day (my bet is on Wilshere).

Hart
    Henderson - Wilshere
    Sturridge
    I'd probably go with Cahill just because I like the idea of a CB being the captain and then may be have Wilshere as his successor. Didn't realise how many caps Johnson has.

ReputationRep:
    Everything to do with international football is so boring. Even debating it.

ReputationRep:
    one or 2 good games in 14 years

never past the quarter finals

good bye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cBay)
    people saying he hasn't performed in an England shirt are talking bs. He was England's best player at Euro 2012 and the 2006 & 2010 WC's. It was other players who didn't step up to the mark in those tournaments. It's like saying he hasn't performed for Liverpool because they haven't won the league under him.

Obviously this is the right time to step down... he has some serious limitations on how he can play now, and Hodgson simply doesn't know how to use him, so there's no point bothering.

There's a lack of real candidates for captain now. It has to be a definite starter which for me basically leaves Hart, Cahill and Henderson. Cahill isn't really captain material, he relies a lot on Terry's leadership at club level. Hart is a GK, which isn't my cup of tea, but might be the most suitable option.

I'd personally go for Henderson but I know that literally nobody will agree with me. He was captain for the U21's and given a lot of credit for how he handled that, it seems like a natural progression to me. However I have doubts Hodgson will know how to get the best out of him, so his performances for England will continue to be average and people will call for him to be dropped.

So it comes down to this. If Hodgson continues to be clueless on how to set up an effective midfield and attack, then Hart should be captain. If however Hodgson miraculously becomes a good manager overnight and gets us playing decent football, then it should be Henderson.

Just please not Rooney. Sturridge and Rooney are not compatible, so it should be one or the other starting, based on form and how they fit into the style of play and any specific tactics for the particular game. So basically neither should be a definite starter and therefore neither should be a candidate for captain (not that Sturridge would be a candidate anyway). Also a captain should be someone intelligent.
    Trouble is, when ever he has been arguably England's best player, he's rarely had much competition for that title. His best performances for England have never quite been on par with the worlds best in his position across any of the midfield roles he's filled. At no tournament he's participated in wearing an England jersey could you compare him to other great CMs and say he was the best. He's definitely been up there with the worlds best for his position at times with Liverpool but very rarely for England.

My choice for capitain would be Joe Hart given his maturity in handling his first team absence for City for a period of time, his usually conspicuous passion for winning and regular displays of sportsmanship and respect for the opposition (I'm a Utd fan so I'm not just brown nosing). Being between the sticks makes outfield management difficult but how often do you ever really see a captain getting stuck in and shouting directions these days (other than *****ing at the referee about set pieces), sometimes but not very often. A captains role in the dressing room, before the game, half time and after can be the most important at times.

You won't be surprised to know I disagree about Henderson. Captaining a bunch of teenagers, even at youth tournaments, is pretty different to captaining people like Wayne Rooney, Joe Hart, Theo Walcott (and the mighty Tom Cleverley!) etc at tournaments watched by up to billions of people. I don't watch him play every game but I only ever remember seeing him put in 1 outstanding performance (for Liverpool) and I do remember seeing him flounder under pressure on a number of ocasions.

I agree Rooney and Sturridge do not play well, Sturridge is best suited to a selfless, intelligent player exactly like Suarez who was just so damn determined to win he didn't mind putting a goal on a plate for Danny rather than take a 50/50 punt from a lesser position. Wayne Rooney isn't really about that, he's more about, well not an awful lot these days really. Spraying the ball from one side of the pitch to another to ineffective wingers from central midfield seems to be what he's best at these days. The man is also a mercenary with little respect for club, country, fans or anything that's not his immediate family really.

(my bet is on Wilshere).
    I think Wilshere would be a really poor choice to be honest. Seems to get very easily demotivated on the pitch and has had plenty of issues with discipline in the past, most recently the second incident of him being caught smoking, after having been already been warned about it by Wenger previously.

ReputationRep:
    Gerrard is a legend... For Liverpool.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This changes nothing for England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostGear)
    Couldn't agree more

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Hart
    Henderson - Wilshere
    Sturridge
    Replace Lallana with the Ox, him and Sterling on either wing would be frightening. Also, I'm not convinced by Jones at centre back at all. No idea who would go there, but I think we will see someone else emerge, rather than Jones. Not convinced by Henderson/Wilshire in the middle either, both are still young of course, but they don't compare to any of the other class midfielders we have had in the past.

Everyone seems to have forgot about Townsend too. He was brilliant earlier on this year until his injury - before christmas he would have been in everyones future squad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostGear)
    Other than captain and Roy's favoured formation at this point in time (no other England player can play the deep role, assuming Carrick isn't fit any time soon and Roy doesn't pick him or Barry).

:rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 25, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.