Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people say life is short? Watch

ReputationRep:
    People say a lot of things without thinking about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xylas)
    It sounds great what you're saying it really does but what would motivate someone to 'think positively'. Surely it's all to do with the environment around you; I just can't see for a second how one would spontaneously change, creating happiness from nothing...
    As an example; a cocaine addict will take cocaine to feel a rush. This same amount of cocaine never produces the same high after that and s/he will take more and more of it, or take more extreme drugs, to find the rush again. This situation is like a dog chasing its own tail; it never ends and never produces a result.

Happiness is the name we give to a neural experience based in the brain; an emotion. It's triggered by experiences we find pleasing, but it's also triggered by the way we think. This isn't some philosophical statement; I mean this literally. A positive or negative emotion is a series of neurons firing and if you as a person tend to think negatively, it's because the neurons in your brain responsible for that negaitive mindset are very strong as a result of being used (fired) again and again. The moment you decide to think in a positive mindset (even if it's against all of your common sense at the time), a new neural network fires. At first it'll be extremely weak which is why, at first, it seems silly. Continuing to think in a positive mindset strengthens the neurons until the 'negative' neural network is erased or replaced. Your brain is now wired to think positively and you no longer have to force it.

This is what's meant by 'happiness comes from within' and whatnot. It's all about the way you choose to react, interpret or process an event. A nice quote by Charles Swindoll: "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it."

Forgive my rambling, it's 2am and I love neuropsychology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    I think when people say life is short, they mean relative to the amount of things we can spend our life doing.
    You say a lot of good things

Can I ask what you study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostGear)
    You say a lot of good things

Can I ask what you study?
    I was studying Education with Physical Sciences, but next year I'm switching to Natural Sciences (Chemistry mainly).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It's a hindsight thing. I'm only 19 and even though I have no regrets now, when I live to be (hopefully) 90 (without all the pain and etc) I want to look back on my life and not think "i wish i had done that" and etc.

Personally, right now waiting for my A2 results is the LONGEST thing on earth!!! I just can't bare it, without NO exaggeration! However, I am making the most of it!

Funnily enough, I was speaking to some HIV+ men about raising awareness and pretty much all of them did say they never realised how your life can be compromised in a few seconds of a moment. I was speaking to a 19 year old man, 19 year old... Who has got it, he said when he found out he had HIV, he said it made him more determined to find that one partner to settle down with which he has. He said it puts life into perspective when something like that happens to you.

However, I know no one would want such a thing like that happen to them to then turn around and say "life is precious" or "life is too short" because life is exactly what it is. Obviously, I'm not going to make every second count (as I sit here writing this) but I shall make sure I live my life to the best I can and be happy with what I do and where it takes me. We only have one life, so enjoy it, but don't compromise it but doing drugs, unprotected sex, reckless driving, peer pressure, etc. Your life is your own, do not let someone take that away from you.

Your PSHE lesson is now over, GOODNIGHT EVERYBODY! :P

ReputationRep:
    You spend up to the age of 21 years in Full time education
    You then work 9-5 or 8-6 including travel. So essentially you only have the weekends and 6-10 to meet your life goals and objectives.

Life is short

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.