Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fnatic NateDestiel)
    I disagree with this completely. If someone gets a C at AS, and the predicted grade is an A*/A then obviously the uni will realise it is inflated. Also teacher's will give favoured results to those that they like and universities know this. Also candidates aiming for AAA universities shouldn't be getting an E at any AS.
    Not entirely true. I got a C in English Lit at AS and I am now predicted by my teachers an A not because they favourite me but because they know how hard I work and because the first thing I told them in September was that I was repeating because I'm not happy with the C. Also, I'm holding offers of AAB and ABB so universities obviously didn't see it as inflated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarao)
    Not entirely true. I got a C in English Lit at AS and I am now predicted by my teachers an A not because they favourite me but because they know how hard I work and because the first thing I told them in September was that I was repeating because I'm not happy with the C. Also, I'm holding offers of AAB and ABB so universities obviously didn't see it as inflated.
    Honestly if there wasn't extenuating circumstances at the time and this is my opinion only so take it with a pinch of salt, it is extremely unlikely to improve that high.

Possible but improbable.

Retaking requires the same work and effort again and in doing so reduces the time taken to revise for A2's.

So your C being the offer of an A.

I was also talking about top 5 uni's where the offer ranges from A* A* A - A* A A

ReputationRep:
    Honestly if there wasn't extenuating circumstances at the time and this is my opinion only so take it with a pinch of salt, it is extremely unlikely to improve that high.

Possible but improbable.

Retaking requires the same work and effort again and in doing so reduces the time taken to revise for A2's.

So your C being the offer of an A.

I was also talking about top 5 uni's where the offer ranges from A* A* A - A* A A
    Doesn't matter whether its top five uni or not. Its still a RG and also my AAB offer is ranked 4th for my course in the UK.
    There was no extenuating circumstances, it was just a blip. A bad paper and a bad day and also the fact that I'd never even had a mock for AS English Lit, so the exam day was the first day I'd ever sat a full paper, and I panicked. also AQA are famous for harsh marking on LitB so that also played a factor.
    It didn't take any time away from my A2's as I treated it just as anyone who would have two exams for the same subject at the end of A2 would, I went to all the classes and made my revision timetable with it in it.
    It's not improbable, I know many who have went from a C at AS to an A at A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarao)
    Doesn't matter whether its top five uni or not. Its still a RG and also my AAB offer is ranked 4th for my course in the UK.
    There was no extenuating circumstances, it was just a blip. A bad paper and a bad day and also the fact that I'd never even had a mock for AS English Lit, so the exam day was the first day I'd ever sat a full paper, and I panicked. also AQA are famous for harsh marking on LitB so that also played a factor.
    It didn't take any time away from my A2's as I treated it just as anyone who would have two exams for the same subject at the end of A2 would, I went to all the classes and made my revision timetable with it in it.
    It's not improbable, I know many who have went from a C at AS to an A at A2.
    yep

ReputationRep:
    yep
    What because it's not a top five uni, it suddenly doesn't matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarao)
    What because it's not a top five uni, it suddenly doesn't matter?
    :yep:

I think top 5 only matter + Ivies + Stanford & MIT, ISA only thinks that only Oxbridge is worth it haha.

ReputationRep:

I think top 5 only matter + Ivies + Stanford & MIT, ISA only thinks that only Oxbridge is worth it haha.
    But I live in Northern Ireland, and can't go too far for uni because of my mum being ill, so Queen's University (a RG and brilliant uni) is my choice. Plus this uni for my course is ranked 4th in the UK, which is better than me going to a top 5 uni and the course being ranked lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarao)
    But I live in Northern Ireland, and can't go too far for uni because of my mum being ill, so Queen's University (a RG and brilliant uni) is my choice. Plus this uni for my course is ranked 4th in the UK, which is better than me going to a top 5 uni and the course being ranked lower.
    I'm sorry about your mum, I hope she gets better.

Good luck at uni.

ReputationRep:

And, I wouldn't be able to do my course in the top five anyway as I don't think they offer undergrad initial teacher training courses

ReputationRep:
    If you're resitting AS you can put your exam grades for these subjects as pending, some of my friends did this that way they'll know your AS grades aren't final. Only problem is that if the entry requirements are high they may want some sort of evidence from AS that you'll achieve the grades

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I only got an E because I messed up on the last question which was 18 marks, I misread it so wrote the wrong essay, I was predicted an A and was getting A in my mocks too so yeah that's why, I find it really easy but I was just unlucky I guess and the reason for a B is cause I have to self study it because the college I go to doesn't do economics but I can get it to an A too I was just guessing. I hope it doesn't affect me that bad as they requirement maths and I'm predicted an A in that

I didn't know you had to put everything but I'll add it now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hmm you know, I'm not actually convinced that you need to say anything tbh, but hey ho, I think its best to listen to people with more experience than me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebe Buffay)
    Hmm you know, I'm not actually convinced that you need to say anything tbh, but hey ho, I think its best to listen to people with more experience than me
    You are right. He shouldn't say anything about it. It's not relevant, it's stupid to draw attention to negatives when they are unlikely to be taken much notice of, it's not about the course he's applying to study and the ps is not the right place for it because, not to put too fine a point on it, it sounds like whining.

ReputationRep:
    So I'm guessing I don't include it in my personal statement, thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.