Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

skirt problems, so embarrassed Watch

ReputationRep:
    The past is in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostGear)
    Or wear a modest dress....
    I'm sorry, not all dress materials particularly like the concept of gravity on on a windy day. A leather belt skirt will stay put during a windstorm, whereas a knee length thin summer floral skirt will be up to your neck at the slightest hint of breeze. This is nothing to do with modesty.

OP, my skirt did the same, continously, in front of about 6 male friends for 5 minutes before I noticed. It's one of those things you either laugh off, or never bring up again, but it's certainly nothing to worry over

ReputationRep:
    Life's too short to get het up over these things and more specifically, to wear shorts under your skirt... It is a bit cringey when it happens, but in the nicest way possible, get over it! :P

ReputationRep:
    Who cares? Don't worry about it OP

Happened to me when I was with two of my friends and we were walking past guys I knew from halls - just had to laugh it off and carry on with my evening. It's not something major that's gonna stick in people's minds, especially if they're just random people you walked past!

(Original post by LostGear)
    Or wear a modest dress....
    You could be in a modest dress of the most appropriate length and this could still happen!

It was a white floral thin dress that's about 2 inches above the knee

To those of you who said laugh it off how could you though. I'm still embarrassed. Yeah it doesn't affect my life and stuff but loads of guys just saw my knickers and some might have even got it on camera or something it's just the fact that they now have that sight in their head and shouldn't have

Maybe I take things too seriously seems like it happens to loads of people. Do you not try and hold it down though

It happened in school once but I wore shorts this time I wasn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyAintDead)
    I don't know many who do wear shorts under skirts, actually, I find I get too hot, defeating the point of wearing a skirt anyway?
    I don't exactly wear fancy going out shorts, I wear rider shorts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkydee19)
    I don't exactly wear fancy going out shorts, I wear rider shorts.
    Yeah, I guess, but I still find them quite warm. Then again, I'm hypersensitive to hot and cold haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Nope, it's all the fault of that oppressive wind and its entitlement to the female body

OP nothing to be embarrassed about, shockingly we do all have legs and underwear under our clothes as we go about our daily business.
    I agree that it's not a big deal, but the thought of someone seeing your big Bridget Jones briefs / tighty whities is less ideal than someone seeing your pretty bikini bottoms/trunks, as some people have tried to suggest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It was a white floral thin dress that's about 2 inches above the knee

To those of you who said laugh it off how could you though. I'm still embarrassed. Yeah it doesn't affect my life and stuff but loads of guys just saw my knickers and some might have even got it on camera or something it's just the fact that they now have that sight in their head and shouldn't have

Maybe I take things too seriously seems like it happens to loads of people. Do you not try and hold it down though

It happened in school once but I wore shorts this time I wasn't
    Nobody will have had the time to get their camera or camera phone out, go to the camera app and take a picture, in the small amount of time they took to look at you, see the wind blowing up, then revealing your underwear, then you pulling it down, etc. Nobody has a picture of it.

You really shouldn't care; we all have underwear and bodies. Has it stopped you from living life? No. You'll probably never see them again anyway; you won't be labelled as 'wind girl' or whatever. Nobody actually cares they saw your underwear; it's not like you went parading out in the street deliberately just in your knickers. It was the fault of the wind, which you couldn't have changed, and people understand that.

A few people may have laughed, but I'm sure you've laughed about someone you've seen in public at some point, which again doesn't matter. Just tell yourself the truth, that nobody cares about what happened and it's just not an issue. Worrying about it won't change the fact that it happened, and will only make you feel more embarrassed, when really it wasn't an embarrassing situation at all.

ReputationRep:
    It's happened to me more than once. Skimpy knickers, granny knickers, sexy knickers and more. You name it, mine have been flashed! Laugh it off; you'll not see them again and you probably made their days anyway.

PS wearing shorts would look odd and probably attract more attention than if it was just a quick flash of your knicks.

ReputationRep:
    it happens all the time, don't worry about it too much sweetie

ReputationRep:
    It's a fact of life if you wear skirts and dresses - and I say this as one who wears a skirt or dress nearly all the time! As others have said, all you can do is laugh it off and you probably won't see those who saw again anyway so why worry about it...

Wearing shorts is too hot and uncomfy, but under a dress like that I'd probably wear a short waist slip. And mostly I just wear plain black knickers - not particularly 'sexy' but so what if they do show.

ReputationRep:
    Wear a longer skirt? Or just hold your skirt down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee1985)
    I've always thought this.

Girls are perfectly fine to stand on a beach in front of a thousand random people in a bikini which is essentially knickers and bra but a different material.

But when

1. Your skirt blows up
    2. You can look up your skirt
    3. You are getting undressed
    4. Someone asks to see you in underwear
    5. Your skirt/top was pulled or whatever else

Girls are like OMG EWWW NOOOOO

Hmmmmm

It's amazing how people completely change their personalities according to where they are I.e a beach or a street.
    exactlyy.
    you should either dress properly when youre on the beach and anywhere else to avoid people even thinking this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprocrastinator_)
    exactlyy.
    you should either dress properly when youre on the beach and anywhere else to avoid people even thinking this
    Can't say I agree with you there. I have no issue with being naked on some beaches and if I'm happy with this, it emanates from my choice. I accept that people can see any bits of my body I choose to allow them to see and am happy with this decision. By your logic though, if I'm on a beach wearing a bikini and cover up, and someone tries to pull it up/down or look up my sarong to see my crotch, or ask to see my boobs (or other bits), I shouldn't be offended by what is obviously a pervy action/request?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bex94)
    Can't say I agree with you there. I have no issue with being naked on some beaches and if I'm happy with this, it emanates from my choice. I accept that people can see any bits of my body I choose to allow them to see and am happy with this decision. By your logic though, if I'm on a beach wearing a bikini and cover up, and someone tries to pull it up/down or look up my sarong to see my crotch, or ask to see my boobs (or other bits), I shouldn't be offended by what is obviously a pervy action/request?
    where are you lot getting the idea that someone needs to pull down one of your pieces of clothing? the point is, if you're on the beach and you're half dressed, you shouldn't really have a problem with your skirt flying up since you're body is revealed more when you're happily on a beach and it is your own free will and not the force of nature, or someone pulling your clothing up.
    of course someone should not ask to look up your skirt of whatever but isn't it the same as what you wear on the beach?

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me that there is a world of difference between wearing a skirt anywhere and being on a beach in a bikini. Just because you are comfortable in a bikini or less when on a beach should not mean you are comfortable with your underwear being seen there or anywhere else. I expect the fear of a skirt blowing up and underwear being seen may be a reason for some women to wear jeans, shorts or trousers.

ReputationRep:
    The whole being comfortable on a beach, whether in a full swimming suit, the tiniest of string bikinis or naked (which I have done all three), has no relation whatsoever to having a dress blowing up in public.

When you are on a beach it is not only acceptable, but almost expected to see people wearing far less and more revealing clothing.

The same does not apply when walking down the street. As people are not expecting to see someone in such a revealing state.

As someone that doesn't embarrass easily and something of an exhibitionist, I don't really think twice about my outfits, as I love nothing better than wearing a nice summer dress and I wear whatever underwear I feel suits the outfit and my mood/time of the month.

Whilst I would never go out of the way to let my dress or skirt blow up, I don't stress about it if it should happen, but do appreciate it can come as a shock and get why others are troubled by it, but really just try not to worry.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 3, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.