The Student Room Group

GSCE A*s

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlphaNick
(your IQ x predicted A*s number) / square root of your parents' salary (annually)

Brilliant!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Robowarrior
So even if I get 4 A*s 7As in GCSE but 4A*s at A-level I can't get in?

Seriously, whoever told you that is wrong. Unless you want to do medicine in which case I think there might be requirements (don't quote me on that though!) The people at cambridge and oxford really care about whether you're passionate about your subject, and they realise that, for the most part, A*s at GCSE don't show passion; they show the ability to work hard and learn information. Obviously a lot of A*s shows committment and a good work ethic but it's not the be all and end all.

I know people who've got rejected from Oxbridge with 9+ A* grades, and I know a girl who has just been accepted into Christ Church with only 2 A* grades.

So don't worry too much. Obviously it's good to have a few, but they take other factors into account. So for me, my GCSEs looked much better than someone else with the same grades, because I went to a state school with 1500 students where results tended to be quite bad; I'm from a low income family and I was out of education for three years and therefore, when they contextualise my results, they will probably seem better than someone who's rich, at a private school with no contextual factors.

But generally I think that as long as you can show passion for your subject and are willing to work damn hard and think for yourself then you should be fine.

What subject are you applying for??

Good luck! :smile:
Don't want to burst your bubbles, but even Oxbridge doesn't focus that much on GCSE grades... a teacher at my school used to be on the admissions office and she told us that it's a myth and they focus on what they tell you that they do, if you read the website. They want people to apply to their uni, it gets them better hype anyway, so if you get 4 A* grades don't think it's impossible. You just need to main English and Maths C and above, and then read into what course you might study and see if they have any other requirements.

Also, say you want to do Medicine, focus on the Sciences and Maths (obviously). If you want to do Law, focus on essay and thinking subjects such as History, Religious Studies, English. Maths can also help with this, in the sense of being analytical.

Don't put all your focus into academics either, take the chance to do some work experience, build up hobbies and do clubs. This will all help when it comes to writing your personal statement later.

I'm in year 10, yes, but I have researched things like this a lot and my brother is off to uni in September so yeah.

Good luck to everyone :smile:
What's GSCE? :rolleyes:
Original post by marc1350
How many A*'s do you need to get in a good University such as Cambridge or Oxford?

This table pretty much answers you question btw, with the caveat that, as said previously, correlation doesn't necessarily imply causation.

Oxford success by GCSE.JPG
Original post by TheEpiphany
cambridge minimum 6. oxford minimum 8.

Absolute horse ****. Oxford is a bit more touchy about GCSEs (somewhat irrationally) than Cambridge but they don't have any actual requirement. As for Cambridge, you don't need any. They don't care much about GCSEs because AS UMS is a better predictor of degree success. I can personally tell you what you've said is bull**** because I achieved a mere 3A*s at GCSE and now study at Cambridge (I did, however, have 4A*s at A level - although these grades are typical predictions, which is all they were when I applied). It is worth noting that this was also in economics, arguably the most competitive subject at Cambridge. Someone from the same school as me also got in with 3A*s at GCSE and got in as well. It is also worth noting that the school is a pretty good comprehensive, with up to 10 people getting 10A*s + in a given year at GCSE.
Original post by TheEpiphany
Perhaps you must notice that Oxford only took in around 5-10 people with 8 A*s. Does that not ring a bell in your head saying that your chances are extremely slim?

Slim or not, you can't say that because that happened one year that it means the minimum number of A*'s at GCSE is obviously 8 and that they'd have no chance. They can be one of them 10. You did not say that they had a chance, you implied they had no chance.
Original post by Its_Tito

Don't put all your focus into academics either, take the chance to do some work experience, build up hobbies and do clubs. This will all help when it comes to writing your personal statement later.

I'm in year 10, yes, but I have researched things like this a lot and my brother is off to uni in September so yeah.

You have clearly not researched that well else you would not be giving advice that contradicts what Cambridge themselves say!

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/info/faq.html

"Our admissions decisions are based on academic criteria (ability and potential) and so we expect to see evidence you your ‘super-curricular’ activities your wider engagements with the area(s) of academic interest, such as reading and other explorations relevant to the course you’ve applied for.

Your participation (or not) in specific extra-curricular activities that aren’t relevant to the course applied for are not taken into account and don’t affect your chances of being made an offer of a place at Cambridge."

Quick Reply

Latest