Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reddish)
    My offer was A* in Maths and Physics, A in chemistry and FM AS.

I have only done upto FP1, would you recommend me looking into FP2 and 3 before uni? If so, are there any particular topics that I should focus on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you have the time, then definitely do FP2 and 3, but obviously don't waste your summer holidays :P . It will be a really big help for the maths module in 1st year, but then again its nothing too complicated and you can probably pick everything up quite easily. There's a linear algebra section, and complex numbers - they're probably the most important parts. Oh and brush up on ODEs and PDEs (if they teach them, I can't remember...) - they'll come up a lot during the degree and I keep finding myself having to go back and learn them again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    If you have the time, then definitely do FP2 and 3, but obviously don't waste your summer holidays :P . It will be a really big help for the maths module in 1st year, but then again its nothing too complicated and you can probably pick everything up quite easily. There's a linear algebra section, and complex numbers - they're probably the most important parts. Oh and brush up on ODEs and PDEs (if they teach them, I can't remember...) - they'll come up a lot during the degree and I keep finding myself having to go back and learn them again.
    Oh I'm sure I can find the time - it would take me just a few days and it means I won't have to work as hard at uni. I have no idea what ODEs and PDEs are lol :P

Thanks a lot for your answers. You are super helpful x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't take Physics at AS level because I felt I wouldn't enjoy it but began to regret it. I asked my college if I could take up physics at A2 but they've said no as it would distract me from my other subjects.

So, would my M1 and M2 knowledge (from my FM) be enough to do aeronautical engineering? Most unis have stated that it's enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jubz1)
    I didn't take Physics at AS level because I felt I wouldn't enjoy it but began to regret it. I asked my college if I could take up physics at A2 but they've said no as it would distract me from my other subjects.

So, would my M1 and M2 knowledge (from my FM) be enough to do aeronautical engineering? Most unis have stated that it's enough
    No. Physics is a requirement at most good unis. Just self teach and try and sit the isa with your school. It's gonna be a lot of work but you can do it - I managed to self teach the FM AS and some additional modules so you'll be fine . You might need to take a gap year though, but think of that as a good thing - you can get loads of experience, save money and go travelling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh I'm sure I can find the time - it would take me just a few days and it means I won't have to work as hard at uni. I have no idea what ODEs and PDEs are lol :P

Thanks a lot for your answers. You are super helpful x

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem . ODEs = Ordinary differential equations. You definitely do these in FP2 at least. PDEs = Partial differential equations, but I can't remember if you study these or not. If they're not in the FP2 or 3 book, don't bother with them :P .

(Original post by Jubz1)

At Imperial you'll need Physics at A Level to an A* for aero. I assume most other universities will want you to have taken it as well. If your school won't allow you to take it, and you want to study aero, I seriously suggest you taking it outside of your school (but you'll then have to learn the content yourself). To be honest, I can't see any university accepting an application for any engineering course without physics, so if you have the time, take it, if you don't have the time then maybe consider taking an extra year to study it?

ReputationRep:
    If you have any questions about the course, or really anything about Imperial in general, please do ask.
    I'm considering to take Aeronautical Engineering however I have a few Questions.

1) Is the maths really hard notably in the first year & how hard would the maths say be
    in respect to Physics? [I'm contemplating Physics/Aeronautical Engineering]

2) Do you plan on doing an post-graduate programme I.E Masters/PHD once you finish
    your bachelors degree?

3) Where do you plan on working i.e career prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    I'm considering to take Aeronautical Engineering however I have a few Questions.

1) Is the maths really hard notably in the first year & how hard would the maths say be

2) Do you plan on doing an post-graduate programme I.E Masters/PHD once you finish
    your bachelors degree?

In answer to 2) the degree is a masters.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)

Difficulty is subjective :P . I find the maths modules the ones that bring my grades up, but that's me. First year is basically a recap on further maths at A Level and then some extra things. I can't comment on Physics, but after a year or two both degrees will more or less require you to solve PDEs and nothing else, which will be done computationally as opposed to on paper. But saying that, you'll need a very good grasp of mathematics with either degree .

your bachelors degree?

I'm unsure at the moment. The degree is an MEng, so if I did anything it would be a PhD.

I'm either going to stick with aero and go into something control based (such as aerial robotics/ control systems) or go into computer science - Microsoft etc.
    ^^

ReputationRep:
    From your experience, how often do students go to reputable grad schools from Imperial and what tend to be the requirements except for a first/2:1? I know that people who go into work tend to make good money, but I'm really interested in research so I think I might do a Ph.D. (plus, you get to pick "Dr." instead of Mr./Mrs. when you're booking a flight online!)

On a side note, how much work is involved in getting a first and what proportion of students get it? Do I have to be a shut in to get a first or would I be allowed some chance to see the outside?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I'm here to champion my friend Hannah and her Summer of STEM campaign about her dream to become an aeronautical engineer. Please check it out because she'd really like some advice from someone with experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fellshock)
    From your experience, how often do students go to reputable grad schools from Imperial and what tend to be the requirements except for a first/2:1? I know that people who go into work tend to make good money, but I'm really interested in research so I think I might do a Ph.D. (plus, you get to pick "Dr." instead of Mr./Mrs. when you're booking a flight online!)

On a side note, how much work is involved in getting a first and what proportion of students get it? Do I have to be a shut in to get a first or would I be allowed some chance to see the outside?
    http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/aeronautics/careers should give you an idea of what people do/ go into after completing the MEng.

It depends on the student, some are naturally very gifted and can do well without doing much work, others could put in a lot of work and come out short. But if its any consolation, everyone I know is either on a 1st or a 2:1, but that could just be a coincidence :P .

ReputationRep:
    Aww I do hope I get in!!! Reading these threads are making me super excited (and slightly apprehensive about the massive workload)

Do you know if anyone you know has managed to get a private tutoring job while studying at imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aww I do hope I get in!!! Reading these threads are making me super excited (and slightly apprehensive about the massive workload)

Do you know if anyone you know has managed to get a private tutoring job while studying at imperial?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've signed up to a couple of sites to do some on the side, but haven't had any luck yet - but I've not tried that hard and I can't be bothered to get a CRB check so that doesn't help haha. But yeah, I know a few people who do it alongside studies .

ReputationRep:
    Are you an international student?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roflwaffles)
    Are you an international student?
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Well for international students the fee is really too much! 25000 pounds!! Are there any students with you paying this much amount of money?

ReputationRep:
    Well for international students the fee is really too much! 25000 pounds!! Are there any students with you paying this much amount of money?
    Most people I know are international students, but a lot of them qualify for scholarships from their respective government to aid them financially.

ReputationRep:
    Most people I know are international students, but a lot of them qualify for scholarships from their respective government to aid them financially.
    Great! Anyone from pakistan?

ReputationRep:
    Great! Anyone from pakistan?
    No one that I know specifically.

ReputationRep:
    No one that I know specifically.
    Its alright

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.