Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you were to run TSR as a business, how would you make a profit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Go make a thread titled that in the politics section. I dare you.

Which side are you on? Israel or Gaza?

Made one already.

ReputationRep:
    TSR already is run as a business - it's certainly not a charity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    Seen this before. Haven't you used this before...? Or was it someone else :holmes:
    I care about the planet, so I recycle everything. Including jokes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    TSR already is run as a business - it's certainly not a charity.
    How do you make money? I doubt that many of the site's users click on ads (could be wrong though)

ReputationRep:
    Personally i'd make the site giant, make signing up nice and easy to encourage hundreds of thousands, maybe over a million, students to sign up. And many more to browse their sections.

Keep lots of relevent info around the site so people come to find the info and then stick around for the cool stuff happening in the forums.

I'd then sell advertisements to the universities and other giant companies that can afford to pay giant amounts to target specific students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    I would use the sexual frustration to power a turbine and provide electricity to all of northern Europe.
    it is worth every penny to read your posts !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilsoncw1997)
    For me, i think I would make people pay for rep boost pack, and no 30 second delay for posting
    e.g. 1 bar of rep for 1 pound, and 2 pounds a month for no delay posting.

So what features would you make users to pay for if you run TSR?
    The only logical way which doesn't annoy the hell out of everyone...

Advertising.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Personally i'd make the site giant, make signing up nice and easy to encourage hundreds of thousands, maybe over a million, students to sign up. And many more to browse their sections.

Keep lots of relevent info around the site so people come to find the info and then stick around for the cool stuff happening in the forums.

I'd then sell advertisements to the universities and other giant companies that can afford to pay giant amounts to target specific students.

The welcome squad wouldn't be a squad. It would be an army.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagning)
    How do you make money? I doubt that many of the site's users click on ads (could be wrong though)

http://www.smartinsights.com/interne...through-rates/

That says the average over the entire internet is around 0.1% Click Through rate.

This is higher is the ads are well targetted though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    The welcome squad wouldn't be a squad. It would be an army.

Maybe it already is? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kumon)
    Build a profile of users cringey and rude posts over many years by offering a "free forum" and then after a few years threaten to link it to them in real life via ip tracking and their email address and other things they have said in pm's and charge ransom money for continued anonymity, or else face a ruined public image.
    Who on tsr even has or will have a public image?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just add a fee on anti Islam threads, PPV you'll be rich in no time
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Establish a TSR online dating service and charge for it. What could possibly go wrong?

ReputationRep:
    TSR needs to think outside the envelope with an open kimono:

Merchandise.... garments in different ranges:

i) Nerd garms.... leather-look sandals with white socks... Duffel coats with a special Walkman pocket.... comfy cardies with TSR buttons

ii) Kewl garms.... gnarly TSR trousers with the crotch 5 cm above the ground.... TSR keffiyeh for that edgy vibe

ironic 1950s ladywear , but not just for the ladies !!

Beverages.... TSR lager... four tins of this and you think you have 9 greens !!

TSR energy drinks.... crucial all-nighter fuel... contains real ayahuasca to let you access the 85% of your brain which is not normally used.

Food.... TSR noodles with added fish oil to boost your brainpower

Playing Cards... available in soothing Blue or mellow Yellow

So bend this over the desk going forward

ReputationRep:
    £5 if u hate islam.... oh the millions that'd make TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miscounted_time)
    Who on tsr even has or will have a public image?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    "post a picture of yourself thread"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagning)
    This isn't my area - I'm simply not involved in sales / accounting - but there are lots of different income streams including advertising (which is, I presume, pay per view rather than pay per click), subscriptions, official reps and reports http://tsrmatters.com/

ReputationRep:
    Plaster any **** threads (most of which seem really popular) with a ****load of ads, making sure to enable an ad-block blocker so no one can avoid the adverts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.