Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it bad to push to accelerator flat to the floor? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    I'm assuming the OP is neither driving an auto, or an engine with a 4 barrel carb :rolleyes: I've never owned a car other than the Range Rover where it was worth pushing the throttle in further than needed.
    Eh? Every car in the world makes more power at WOT than it does at 90%. ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Eh? Every car in the world makes more power at WOT than it does at 90%. ???
    Haha maybe if you've got a torquey V8 under the bonnet, but I can tell you now that if you're in a crappy 1l Yaris and you put your foot to the floor doing 2000rpm in fifth you won't get going any faster than just pushing the throttle until it stops having an affect. Sometimes I put the throttle flat to the floor just to see but it never makes it any faster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Haha maybe if you've got a torquey V8 under the bonnet, but I can tell you now that if you're in a crappy 1l Yaris and you put your foot to the floor doing 2000rpm in fifth you won't get going any faster than just pushing the throttle until it stops having an affect. Sometimes I put the throttle flat to the floor just to see but it never makes it any faster.
    Well it makes a difference in my 40 odd bhp 1 litre morris minor.

It's the difference between slowing down and maintaining speed up hills...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.