Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply.

Where was that if you dont mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, I'm start on a general primary school direct un salaried route on the 1st of September in Warrington. I'm so nervous I have no idea what to expect, haven't spent much time in a primary school, i've been a teaching assistant in a high school for 2 years though.

Have you done much to prepare?

Zoe x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 123zoe123)
    Hiya, I'm start on a general primary school direct un salaried route on the 1st of September in Warrington. I'm so nervous I have no idea what to expect, haven't spent much time in a primary school, i've been a teaching assistant in a high school for 2 years though.

Have you done much to prepare?

Zoe x
    Morning,
    I haven't got much recent experience in the primary school either so I'm a bit nervous! I've just been reading up on ll the new changes/legislation and buying some of the core books that I know I'm going to need. Hoping to get my self a little bit of a head start with all the important stuff!
    I have a course to go on with the other teachers on the 1st September which I'm most nervous about as I won't know anyone! Suppose it's sometimes best to be thrown in at the deep end tho!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I start with SD in 2 weeks (yikes!!!) and I'm swinging between total terror and excitement. I have 3 children and my husband has been very ill for years but is well enough to manage during the day now so, at nearly 50, I am desperate to get a career off the starting blocks and secure a financial future of some sort for us.
    Did anyone have to give a deposit cheque of £100 to be cashed if I drop out before mid-October? The drop out rate has been so high in Hertfordshire that they have had to introduce it.
    Sarah

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting on a salaried place in Rugby (secondary chemistry) on September 1. I'm coming down from Edinburgh - my husband has been working in Coventry since the beginning of the year while I've still been up here, so it'll be great to be together again.

Does anyone know of a good place to look for car share opportunities? I've just failed my driving test, so until I pass I'll have to get a bus to Coventry train station, a train from Coventry to Rugby and then walk from Rugby station - not looking forward to doing that while carrying school supplies!

sarannie, I've never heard of that with the deposit before. How interesting (and scary!)

ReputationRep:
    Hey I start ok the 1st too on the salaried route . Has anyone's salary been confirmed ? As I still don't know how much I'm getting paid ?

ReputationRep:
    Hey I start on the 1st aswell as a primary school direct salaried ! Has anyone's salary been confirmed as I still don't know how much I'm getting paid !? Xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 034Sr)
    Hey I start on the 1st aswell as a primary school direct salaried ! Has anyone's salary been confirmed as I still don't know how much I'm getting paid !? Xx

I'm on a salaried route too and got my contract through quite a while ago which clarified how much I'm being paid. It basically an unqualified teachers salary so it will vary depending on what part of the country you're in I believe.

Check this out:
    http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6000189

ReputationRep:
    Hey there fellow SD peeps,

Just wondering how you're all feeling about starting tomorrow? I'm feeling a mixture of excitement and nerves. Can't believe September is almost here!

Good luck to everyone, I think we might need it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellylaugh)
    Hey there fellow SD peeps,

Just wondering how you're all feeling about starting tomorrow? I'm feeling a mixture of excitement and nerves. Can't believe September is almost here!

Good luck to everyone, I think we might need it!
    I'm a bag of mixed emotions! Excited/ready for the challenge......then OMG how am I going to get through this! Just glad of the opportunity and ready to knuckle down and get get going now!

Have u had any pre course work to do? I've had loads for Uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whatshername24)
    I'm a bag of mixed emotions! Excited/ready for the challenge......then OMG how am I going to get through this! Just glad of the opportunity and ready to knuckle down and get get going now!

Have u had any pre course work to do? I've had loads for Uni
    The only thing I've had to do before Sept was to spend some time in a pre-school environment to see how the children transition to Reception. We've got an assignment and presentation to do also, but they're not due until half-term. I was planning to get them done before tomorrow but haven't got around to it! Oops.

I still can't decide what to wear tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys - haven't introduced myself yet but doing the SD un-salaried route...absolutely terrified for tomorrow! Have worked in a school for a year already but something about being the teacher instead of support is making me really nervous! Good luck to you all for tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    I start on Tuesday and am just repeating my new mantra every few minutes - 'DO NOT RUN AWAY DO NOT RUN AWAY !!!!' I am a mature student of 48 and I have 3 children and a husband who has been very ill so this is my return to the real world after having been parent and carer for years. I'm terrified but also so excited about being a 'someone' if that makes sense.
    Good luck everyone!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarannie)
    I start on Tuesday and am just repeating my new mantra every few minutes - 'DO NOT RUN AWAY DO NOT RUN AWAY !!!!' I am a mature student of 48 and I have 3 children and a husband who has been very ill so this is my return to the real world after having been parent and carer for years. I'm terrified but also so excited about being a 'someone' if that makes sense.
    Good luck everyone!!!!
    I've had so much prep to do I had to finish work 2 weeks early to fit it all in lol! So far I've had to do a 10 slide presentation, write about how my skills coincide with the teaching standards, set up files and choose a story in the news to write about...with references to journals/books etc!

All this and my biggest challenge so far is also finding an outfit for tommoro!

I think it's great that your starting a new career, just proves your never to old to achieve what you want in life

I also have two children, think the juggling the family/study will be a challenge in itself!
    Good luck to everyone starting this week

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone get on today? I have to say, I LOVED my school! Everyone was really lovely and so friendly. Am really excited now! Got my timetable through so now know that I've got two and a half weeks to learn the ropes and then I'm expected to be teaching 8-10 hours a week, rapidly moving up to 12 hours a week. Eek!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you enjoyed it my first day was good also, everyone's really nice and friendly. I've found out I'm In year 3 which is where I wanted to be so even better! Slightly nervous for the first day with the children in, there not back until Wednesday so I have another day to prepare myself lol!
    Two weeks before tour teaching 10hrs?? That's really quick!

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys have a timetable for teaching hours over the coming year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark_otbc)
    Do you guys have a timetable for teaching hours over the coming year?
    Yes I got it from my course provider...although my mentor has told me that those numbers are the MINIMUM they expect from us and that it's likely we'll be teaching a lot more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bellylaugh)
    Yes I got it from my course provider...although my mentor has told me that those numbers are the MINIMUM they expect from us and that it's likely we'll be teaching a lot more!
    What does yours look like? I think ours has us doing something like 12 hours a week by the start of December, which is making me a bit nervous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark_otbc)
    What does yours look like? I think ours has us doing something like 12 hours a week by the start of December, which is making me a bit nervous!

Mine is 8-10 hours a week by w/c 22nd Sept and then 8-10 hours the following week. Am teaching my first lesson next week! Eek! Excited but nervous.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.