Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need opinions on mental health problems for my project :) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InsertWittyName)
    Honestly I've never really noticed any stigma around mental health issues personally. I spent ~5 months in a psych unit with severe depressive disorder (+ I was diagnosed w/ aspergers there & some other things) after trying to off myself and missed a fair few months of sixth form. Most of my friends (and a fair amount of people I weren't friends with) knew, + pretty much all of my extended family, some teaching staff, etc and no one seemed to treat me that much differently.

I think how people are treated is in some part down to how they project themselves and their problems- to me being suicidal & depressed w/e was just 'one of those things'; I didn't treat it as a big deal so for the most part I don't think the people I came into contact did either. If someone noticed all the scars on my arms for example I'd just make a stupid joke about it or shrug it off, and they wouldn't seem to think much of it.

I think there does need to be more of a balance between people accepting MH as medical problems as well as people taking responsibility for themselves rather than blaming everything on their condition (a few people I know, including me sometimes, have the tendency to do this- it doesn't do them any favours and it makes people see mental health conditions in a more negative light when people don't try hard enough to get on with their lives)

I think there is kind of a cycle where people fear the stigma surrounding MH problems so get very defensive/ emotional about it which means more people pay attention to it/think you're nuts so they're more likely to face a stigma, making people fear the stigma worse and starting the cycle over again.

Anyway, this post is actually quite a bit longer than I intended it to be so yeah, just my opinion.
    thanks for sharing this i think that there definitely is a cycle with the stigma of mental health problems, and you did very well to avoid this, i guess people could see that you were obviously ill because you had spent so long getting professional help, but i think that sometimes with mental illness, people write them off because there are no visible symptoms, and they cant see the way that people think differently. i also think that by shrugging off comments then people knew you werent trying to get attention and i think that one of the most common reasons for the stigma is that people can see mental illness as attention seeking. if we can break the cycle then no one will have to face the stigma and you can feel very proud of yourself that you manage to stop the cycle from even starting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    Dunno why people are mentioning Aspergers. It's not a mental health condition.
    no, but it is a neurological/psychological disorder and until recently was classified as a mental disorder. it isn't a physical illness so loosely i dont mind including it in my project as it is far towards the mental illness side

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 26, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.