Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you: save the last female lion in the world or a loved one? Watch

• View Poll Results: Which would you save?
    Loved one
    92.65%
    Last female lion on earth
    5.88%
    Neither
    1.47%

• Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Loved one. Lions and other wild animals have pretty terrible lives (injuries, disease,etc.), and in the case of carnivores they actively inflict injury on other animals. I'm not particularly of the opinion that animals are worth saving in the current circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Has there actually been a programme that's successfully cloned extinct animals?

ReputationRep:
    Has there actually been a programme that's successfully cloned extinct animals?
    Yes, Jurassic Park.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lamyers1)
    Yes, Jurassic Park.
    *face palm* of course!

ReputationRep:
    If it's the last remaining lion then isn't it impossible for them to reproduce anyway?

Edit: ignore my stupidity, didn't read the OP properly
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you were hanging over a cliff, and in one hand you were holding onto a member of your close family (sister or brother) and in the other hand you were holding the last female lion in the world and thus the species' only chance for survival - which one would you save?

Pretend that if you let the other go, you could definitely lift the other to safety because the lion is a cub and that the lion is sedated so it wouldn't kill / maul you.

Does male lion sperm exist to inseminate her with...?

Even if there was, I wonder if you could repopulate lions from a single 'eve' without them all dying from inbreeding-related health issues. :/

I'd drop the lion.

ReputationRep:
    If you were hanging over a cliff, and in one hand you were holding onto a member of your close family (sister or brother) and in the other hand you were holding the last female lion in the world and thus the species' only chance for survival - which one would you save?

Pretend that if you let the other go, you could definitely lift the other to safety because the lion is a cub and that the lion is sedated so it wouldn't kill / maul you.

Loved one every time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dumb question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Loved one. Lions and other wild animals have pretty terrible lives (injuries, disease,etc.), and in the case of carnivores they actively inflict injury on other animals. I'm not particularly of the opinion that animals are worth saving in the current circumstances.
    That is not an opinion that I expected someone from the Green Party to ever say. Not the saving a loved one, the animals are not worth saving.

ReputationRep:
    There's quite a lot at stake... Being known forever more as the person who wiped out the lion species. Granted, if you went the other way you'd go down as killing your own brother or something :lol:
    But if it's the last female lion then the lion is doomed for extinction anyway. Sure she may have a few litter but the likelihood of the species surviving is minuscule.

I'd pick my loved one any time.

ReputationRep:
    Loved one. A no-brainer.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    That is not an opinion that I expected someone from the Green Party to ever say. Not the saving a loved one, the animals are not worth saving.
    I'm not exactly conventional.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you rather save a being that would happily kill you over a loved one? dumb thread really...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I think the problem with this scenario is that you wouldn't have an emotional attachement to the lion. As such whilst it would be bad most people would take the option of saving a loved one.

The question would be more interesting if you propose this. You are at a cliff. You can only save one person. 1 is a new born who has the potential to contribute great things to society and the world. The other is a distance family member who may as well be a stranger who has contributed to the world but nothing life changing (and approaching retirement). Who do you save?

ReputationRep:
    I watched a documentary called Jurassic Park where they extracted DNA from an extinct dinosaur and cloned them. I would save a loved one as you could clone and bring back extinct lions.

ReputationRep:
    loved one without a shadow of a doubt. Who would actually sacrifice their brother/sister for an animal? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    If it's the last female lion, the species is already extinct.

One breeding mother is not enough to sustain or grow a population of lions.

ReputationRep:
    Loved one, obviously.

If there was only 1 female lion left, the species would be doomed anyway. Genetic diversity and all that. Even disregarding the problem of genetic diversity, something killed all the other lions - there's no reason to think the female lion and/or any cubs she produces won't ultimately meet the same fate, whether I save them now or not. Realistically there is very little to gain from saving the lion.

Regardless, even if the scenario is simply "loved one" vs "successfully rescue the lion species for all time" I would probably still choose loved one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeanofJelly)
    Loved one, obviously.

If there was only 1 female lion left, the species would be doomed anyway. Genetic diversity and all that. Even disregarding the problem of genetic diversity, something killed all the other lions - there's no reason to think the female lion and/or any cubs she produces won't ultimately meet the same fate, whether I save them now or not. Realistically there is very little to gain from saving the lion.

Regardless, even if the scenario is simply "loved one" vs "successfully rescue the lion species for all time" I would probably still choose loved one.

I came to give this answer and it was already given.

ReputationRep:
    When I first read the thread title I thought this was an anti-feminism thread.

:lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.