The Student Room Group

Completely humiliated and defeated after telesales 'interview'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Costalo
I want a career in the civil service (not grad position) but it's incredibly hard to get into to. I lack experience. And I'm in a catch 22.

Why would you not want a grad position? :s-smilie:
Original post by Quady

Seeing as he said a non-grad position is incredibly difficult to get into, it's likely a grad position is going to be almost impossible for him.
Reply 22
Original post by Quady

It's hard getting an entry level position due to my lack of experience let alone grad entry lol.
Reply 23
Original post by crazybored
Really sorry to hear about your experience. My boyfriend worked in sales (investment broking rather than telesales but still), and it really is dog-eat-dog. The managers want people who will make them money, end-off - supporting professional progression or ensuring a positive, non-stressful work environment just doesn't come into it, so I reckon you've probably had a lucky escape (though I appreciate this doesn't make the experience any less unpleasant).

One thing I would say, and I say this a lot on here, is that if you're applying for 30 jobs a day, you're doing it wrong. Every job application should be tailored to the job you're applying for - it's just not possible to do 30 good, tailored applications a day. Go for quality over quantity - research the companies you're applying for and find some way to subtly demonstrate that you've done so in your application. Look at the person spec carefully and make sure your application clearly demonstrates how you meet each point with specific examples from your previous experience: saying e.g. 'I work well in teams' is meaningless in and of itself - you need to include a specific example.

I receive CVs and cover letters, and conduct interviews, as part of my job and can honestly tell you that if I had to choose between someone with a strong CV/great experience but a clearly generic cover letter/personal statement and someone with a slight weaker CV/less relevant experience but a great cover letter/personal statement that demonstrated a genuine interest for the role, and clearly explained how the skills gain in their previous experience could transfer, I would always go for the latter.

Hope that helps and best of luck.

Thanks for that. It made me feel a lot better :smile:

I'm going to start spending more time applying for the jobs I want and making sure my application, CV and cover letter is as good as I can make it.
Reply 24
Original post by Three Mile Sprint
Telesales is horrific, trust me Ive done it long enough , it sucks getting rejected but don't feel bad you didn't get that job.

Finding a job in this market can be immensely difficult trust me I have two degrees (1st and 2:1) a varied job history and production qualifications and I can't find a job at the moment either and I know it get's worse the longer your out of work, seems like you are unemployable and you get paranoid about what you are doing wrong.

I have just landed two months unpaid work experience in the Civil Service because I approached my Advisor and specifically asked if there were any oppertuniites in government agencies and asked to be alerted directly as soon as anything came up.
It shows motivation and it gets you first pickings of oppertunities if you approach them with ideas as opposed to your advisor picking out courses you don't really want to do or don't need, if you want to work for the Civil Service you could maybe try doing the same thing?

Bite the bullet for a few months and work for free, but gain viable experience and recommendations for future applications or positions?

They did offer me work experience working for DWP. But I declined it because I had only been looking for work for a week and I was getting interviews and thought I'd get work quite quickly. But it's looking more and more like that is what I'll need to do, and I would quite like it. It's just frustrating having to work for so little. But it's a lot better than working for free in bloody Tesco!.
Reply 25
Original post by Costalo
It's hard getting an entry level position due to my lack of experience let alone grad entry lol.

Since the interview is only one of about six parts of the assessment centre I dont know why experience is putting you off. The whole point of a grad scheme is that participants have potential not experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending