Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I have a chance at getting into Medicine? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma1212)
    Pharmacy. But I am unsure. It's slightly unsettling, the thought of not enjoying my chosen subject having continuous doubt. Anyone feel like this.
    Why on earth would you want to be a pharmacist, optometry is a much better back up to medicine.
    If you dont like that either, a lot of medical/dental wannabes go into biomed for graduate entry.

ReputationRep:
    Only what is mentioned. But I want to do voluntary work where possible.
    Wanting to and having done it are two very different things. For a medicine application, you need to prove long term commitment to others, as well as whatever medical experience you may be able to find. If you get AAA in this summer's exams, then spend a gap year getting the relevant experience. If you don't, then it really isn't worth your while bothering to put in an application, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelzzz)
    Why on earth would you want to be a pharmacist, optometry is a much better back up to medicine.
    If you dont like that either, a lot of medical/dental wannabes go into biomed for graduate entry.

Medicine is a thought, a dream but a thought. I lack in self-esteem, so going anywhere near medicine is challenging for me. Is it possible to get into optometry via clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carnationlilyrose)
    Wanting to and having done it are two very different things. For a medicine application, you need to prove long term commitment to others, as well as whatever medical experience you may be able to find. If you get AAA in this summer's exams, then spend a gap year getting the relevant experience. If you don't, then it really isn't worth your while bothering to put in an application, I'm afraid.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is a thought, a dream but a thought. I lack in self-esteem, so going anywhere near medicine is challenging for me. Is it possible to get into optometry via clearing.
    Yeah, you can get into optom through clearing.
    Medicine/dentistry/vet med are the most competitive degrees in the country and the most prestigious, its going to be challenging for anybody

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I obtained:

5As (Chemistry, Physics and Maths)
    4Bs (Biology and English)
    1C

Do you think my chances for getting into Medicine is even likely? I am awaiting my A level results, I did resit a few AS exams. I did work experience at a community Pharmacy last year.

I was considering to go for Pharmacy but through clearing as I initially wanted to take a gap year but have suddenly changed my mind. But my chances for that a quite minuscule. Any ideas on what to do. Medicine has always fascinated me and I have wanted to study it for quite a while. Should I try applying next year, changed the course, anyone know people who had similar scenarios that got into medicine, and is it really hard as people say (that's what is discouraging me from applying).

Much Appreciated
    Well good luck illustrating this to the admission tutors...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.