Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jobcentre making me go on Daily Signing. Can I do anything to prevent it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Don't fall into the same trap of petty elitism: your advisor is almost certainly being exploited on a zero-hour contract and depressed about having to dock the incomes of the most desperate people in the local area to meet his sanction targets every fortnight. If he wasn't a vindictive person before he started this job you can understand why he might be now.
    DWP use zero hour contracts? Since when? I'd have thought PCS would have a feild day over that...

Approx hw many of JCPs 30,000 workers are on zero hour contracts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonn123)
    That's what I was thinking to be honest.

My advisor seems totally depressed and probably envious of the fact I'm going to have an incredible 4 years at University leading to a nice job while he's stuck at the Jobcentre. I just should've never mentioned it. It's far too coincidental to not be the case.
    (Original post by jam278)
    My mother told me a lot about these things.

They know that a lot of university students try to use that big of the system, they're undermined that they're helping ambitious people get free money, while they do their job as they know you'll be in a better position than them.
    Unfortunately this is why you keep your mouth shut. Don't tell unimportant people / casual acquaintances your business unless it is essential. I have finished university and have a nice offer for a graduate scheme. I have been/am unemployed from June, when I finished university, until I start my job in september. I had a conversation with an advisor (I didnt have an appointment and he didnt know my details), I told him the truth about starting a job in a few months. He said sign on and dont tell anyone about it. If I had I imagine i'd be stuck on this horrible daily signing business like you are. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    DWP use zero hour contracts? Since when? I'd have thought PCS would have a feild day over that...

Approx hw many of JCPs 30,000 workers are on zero hour contracts?
    Maybe not if you say so, I'll look it up, but they are certainly not secure jobs that pay enough to live on.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    You can't do anything about being made to sign daily but any public transport travel costs for all signings other than your normal fortnightly signing can be reclaimed from the JCP. Keep all your tickets and ask them about it when you're next in.

ReputationRep:
    Let this be a lesson to always keep your cards close to your chest when dealing with the people who give you your income. It's good careers advice too.

He has put you on daily signing to incentivise you off the dole so he can hit his targets without having to sanction someone in proper hardship.

Equality law doesn't cover things like this and in any case the DWP is pretty much lawless nowadays with things mostly depending on the discretion of poorly trained, badly paid zero-hours/part-time workers who are in an environment where they are not just encouraged but incentivised to make life as torturous for claimants as possible, and who are petrified of losing their jobs as they understand better than anyone what that will mean. I expect you can request a reason for why he put you on daily signing and if he can't think of anything to cover himself he may quietly put you back on to fortnightly signing.

Job centre staff are often vindictive bullies on a power trip - you basically have to be to succeed in the job - and he may be targeting you out of jealousy for going to university. He probably thinks you are an entitled middle-class kid with loads of creature comforts. That's as may be, but you are still entitled under the law to jobseeker's allowance.
    This

I used to B.S the job centre all the time.. even cried once they lapped it up, I walked out laughing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    It's called Job Seekers' Allowance.

You've indicated you're not seeking jobs.

You shouldn't be getting any money at all, frankly.
    Yep.

Poor OP is having to get two buses each day to get the money which is designed to tide him over until he gets the job which he has no intention of getting. It really is cruel.

The names of benefits are just a justification for giving them out so people like you don't whine. Benefits exist because they are what people need to survive rather than be out on the streets gouging out their own eyes for extra begging money. With the cost of living and the state of student loans being what it is, saving money up for university is a fine reason for collecting the dole.

I guess you would rather this person (whose parents might not be helping him) dropped out of his course halfway due to inability to get by financially and ended up on the dole again, with no end in sight this time.
    Fine, if he were actually looking for a job to make money for university, but he explicitly said in OP that he had other intended uses for that time.

You're already given a good deal of money for uni, in the form of extremely favourable loans and, for many people, grants. He isn't entitled to a summer of doing nothing, whilst collecting benefits to add to the money he's already been given by the state.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe not if you say so, I'll look it up, but they are certainly not secure jobs that pay enough to live on.
    Really? An adviser starts on over 19k and the band goes to 23k (excluding london allowance) which aint too bad in most places.

Since DWP has had no compulory redudences I fail to see how its not secure...

(Original post by Drewski)
      It's called Job Seekers' Allowance.

You've indicated you're not seeking jobs.

You shouldn't be getting any money at all, frankly.
      Dont be such a bigot. I would rather my tax money go to people who want to stay on the dole, than lose out on a job to someone who didnt even want one to begin with. Jobcentre, DVLA, Council and other tax money funded organisations actually hire baboons. The reason being is that they get their money regardless of performance (tax isn't optional). A privately run company needs to do well in order to keep their customers and gain new ones.

Let this be a lesson to always keep your cards close to your chest when dealing with the people who give you your income. It's good careers advice too.

He has put you on daily signing to incentivise you off the dole so he can hit his targets without having to sanction someone in proper hardship.

Equality law doesn't cover things like this and in any case the DWP is pretty much lawless nowadays with things mostly depending on the discretion of poorly trained, badly paid zero-hours/part-time workers who are in an environment where they are not just encouraged but incentivised to make life as torturous for claimants as possible, and who are petrified of losing their jobs as they understand better than anyone what that will mean. I expect you can request a reason for why he put you on daily signing and if he can't think of anything to cover himself he may quietly put you back on to fortnightly signing.

Job centre staff are often vindictive bullies on a power trip - you basically have to be to succeed in the job - and he may be targeting you out of jealousy for going to university. He probably thinks you are an entitled middle-class kid with loads of creature comforts. That's as may be, but you are still entitled under the law to jobseeker's allowance.
      All the more reason to cut the doleys some slack then.
      I actually tried signing off the dole today coz I got a job. I visited the JC but was told to phone some number. I tried phoning the number but all I got was that automated voice droning on forever. I hung up and just left. I will simply just stop signing on. It seems even signing off is such a friggin farce.

ReputationRep:
      Big HINT it's called JobSEEKER's Allowance not subsidise me while i loaf off before starting uni allowance .

a great many people who will starting university this September will not be entitled to JSA because of the rules, if they want income they will be working in casual jobs ...

(Original post by zippyRN)
        Big HINT it's called JobSEEKER's Allowance not subsidise me while i loaf off before starting uni allowance .

a great many people who will starting university this September will not be entitled to JSA because of the rules, if they want income they will be working in casual jobs ...
        And what is the usual reason for even going to university in the first place?
        I reckon if you can prove beyond reasonable doubt that the education your doing will give you a skilled trade, or significantly boost your chances of gaining employment then isnt that itself a "job seeking activity". Therefore they should be allowed to claim JSA. Such claimants would still be required to find suitable part time employment in the meantime.
        If I could claim JSA while in college I probably would have some decent qualifications by now and possibly a proper job.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Ana81)
        This

I used to B.S the job centre all the time.. even cried once they lapped it up, I walked out laughing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
        People like you disgust me :/
        • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
        Its weird that you have to sign on daily, I have never heard of that :eek: I used to go on JSA over the summer holidays when college or uni had finished and I told them from the day I applied that it would only be on the benefit for the summer and I had a course I was definitely starting or going back to once summer had ended and they never batted an eye lid. I just had to do the regular job searches and come in once a fortnight to sign on.

OP you can claim travel expenses for every time you go to the job centre. I think its if you live 2 or more miles from it, you should qualify. You just have to show them your bus or train ticket when you go each time. I never got it because I stay a 10 min walk from my local centre but you should most likely definitely be entitled to it. At least make enquiries next time you are in.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Laomedeia)
        Dont be such a bigot. I would rather my tax money go to people who want to stay on the dole, than lose out on a job to someone who didnt even want one to begin with. Jobcentre, DVLA, Council and other tax money funded organisations actually hire baboons. The reason being is that they get their money regardless of performance (tax isn't optional). A privately run company needs to do well in order to keep their customers and gain new ones.

All the more reason to cut the doleys some slack then.
        I actually tried signing off the dole today coz I got a job. I visited the JC but was told to phone some number. I tried phoning the number but all I got was that automated voice droning on forever. I hung up and just left. I will simply just stop signing on. It seems even signing off is such a friggin farce.
        They'd "cut the doleys some slack" if they weren't incentivised to hit targets for off-flow, escalation of conditionality, sanctions. The incentives come directly from the DWP. The worst JCP staff do it because they enjoy the petty power trip; the best ones because they need to protect the most vulnerable from the cuts; everyone else does it out of abject fear of being sacked.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Yasmin25)
        Its weird that you have to sign on daily, I have never heard of that :eek: I used to go on JSA over the summer holidays when college or uni had finished and I told them from the day I applied that it would only be on the benefit for the summer and I had a course I was definitely starting or going back to once summer had ended and they never batted an eye lid. I just had to do the regular job searches and come in once a fortnight to sign on.

OP you can claim travel expenses for every time you go to the job centre. I think its if you live 2 or more miles from it, you should qualify. You just have to show them your bus or train ticket when you go each time. I never got it because I stay a 10 min walk from my local centre but you should most likely definitely be entitled to it. At least make enquiries next time you are in.
        What?! You do realise you are categorically not allowed to claim JSA if you're a continuing university student? Unless you're like 50, back then they were allowed to (plus grants coming out of their ears etc)
        • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
        What?! You do realise you are categorically not allowed to claim JSA if you're a continuing university student? Unless you're like 50, back then they were allowed to (plus grants coming out of their ears etc)
        I'm part time at uni so I can stay on ESA/JSA even while studying at uni but while studying I don't as me and my partner live off his bursary and loan during the time. When I was at college obviously the courses finished by the time I was applying for JSA so I wasn't classed as a student any more.

I should have stated I was a part time student in my first post as there are different entitlements/regulations for part and full time students.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Yasmin25)
        I'm part time at uni so I can stay on ESA/JSA even while studying at uni but while studying I don't as me and my partner live off his bursary and loan during the time. When I was at college obviously the courses finished by the time I was applying for JSA so I wasn't classed as a student any more.

I should have stated I was a part time student in my first post as there are different entitlements/regulations for part and full time students.
        Ahh I see, didn't know that. Excellent hustling!! I can't say I understand the reasoning behind that, I'd have thought if anything a part-time student would get less help as they have more scope to get a job...

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Anonn123)
        That's what I was thinking to be honest.

My advisor seems totally depressed and probably envious of the fact I'm going to have an incredible 4 years at University leading to a nice job while he's stuck at the Jobcentre. I just should've never mentioned it. It's far too coincidental to not be the case.
        There is no guarantee that once you graduate, you'll have a nice job. You might even come back on JSA

ReputationRep:
        :facepalm: Read it as daily singing...was wondering why you were being made to sing everyday

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by xloisx)
        People like you disgust me :/
        why? I've paid tax since I was 16, I signed on for under three months yet they treated myself and others like we were scum.. its like they are unaware of there being considerably less jobs than there are people, but then again you get stuckup mummies boys like you who look down on people if they dont have a job so infact its people like you who disgust me.

R.I.P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        I was on JSA for almost the entire duration of my gap year (I held an unconditional offer at the time), which my personal advisor and all the various people who did my signing knew about. It was never an issue. That was 2011~2012, though, and I think things have changed a lot, and apparently it varies by area. The daily signings do seem ridiculous to me though, especially because I was always given travel expenses if I had to come in on a day other than my signing day. I did eventually sign off in July because I started getting more hours at work, but I don't think it would have been a problem to sign on right up until I moved away for uni.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources
      Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.