Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is a wife entitled to her husband's money? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I never get when people have separate bank accounts - if your married you surely trust each other to share a joint bank account which all of your money goes into. That way it's not either persons money, it's for both of you. It always annoys me when couples have separate bank accounts and spend their own money - the partner is not ENTITLED, it's their money as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Stuff like new shoes and phones I'd pay for myself. Stuff like going out for dinner or holidays (shared things) I'd split (if the earnings discrepancy was large, then split according roughly to who earns what).

I would die before I asked my boyfriend/husband to pay for a new pair of shoes :lolwut:
    I thought you were a guy, I'm so confused..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fnatic NateDestiel)
    I thought you were a guy, I'm so confused..
    You're not the only one to say that.

ReputationRep:
    naw man **** that - the money belongs to the person who makes it.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a thing both use then technically yeah, because you'd expect them to split the cost (unless it's something ridiculously cheap); other than that of course not. Although if one spouse decides to treat the other that's a different ball game altogether.

ReputationRep:
    ITT: People who probably think that joint bank accounts are a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe because you're funny and your posts make sense.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I think there should be a mix of shared and independent resources. I believe it depends on the marriage.
    If I earn significantly more than my partner, I may put some in the shared account but keep the rest.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Viva..

Didn't you tell me you were a man though :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haza2012)
    I never get when people have separate bank accounts - if your married you surely trust each other to share a joint bank account which all of your money goes into. That way it's not either persons money, it's for both of you. It always annoys me when couples have separate bank accounts and spend their own money - the partner is not ENTITLED, it's their money as well.
    Nope, you earn your own money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    Maybe because you're funny and your posts make sense.
    Careful, your fedora is showing
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I don't think either one partner is entitled to spend the money of the other - married people are still individuals with individuals' rights. But if they want their marriage to succeed they need to be willing to share and work as a team. I don't think a marriage would be feasible in which one partner was living with a different quality of life to the other - I expect they would lose the feeling of being equals. Respecting one's partner as an equal is, I think, a requirement for a healthy relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Stuff like new shoes and phones I'd pay for myself. Stuff like going out for dinner or holidays (shared things) I'd split (if the earnings discrepancy was large, then split according roughly to who earns what).

I would die before I asked my boyfriend/husband to pay for a new pair of shoes :lolwut:
    What if you became a stay at home mum and didn't work anymore?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucaf)
    Careful, your fedora is showing
    I've had it custom built. Can your armor handle this?

ReputationRep:
    If you mean legally like in a divorce for example, is one half of the partnership due half of the earnings the other made during the marriage?

Nope. Pre-nup, pre-nup, pre-nup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arkhamz)
    ITT: People who probably think that joint bank accounts are a good idea.
    ITT: People with no experience of marriage making wild assumptions, based on their non-experience of divorce.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to share while in a marriage you have a) serious only-child issues and b) why the hell are you married in the first place?

Saying that, what is shared after a divorce, that is an entirely different matter. Imo if there are no kids involved, if you earn twice as much, you should get twice as much of all assets bought/earned after marrying. The bank account should not be split.

ReputationRep:
    Up to the couple. I was all for sharing equally but my husband treated the money in the house as both ours and since for two years he's earning more, he pays everything except the loan from his parents. I paid that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haza2012)
    We have separate bank accounts as well as a joint one. Sometimes it's easier when setting up direct debit and things. We both have access to all the accounts though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Apparently it's difficult to believe what some of the women are like who are married to some of the high-flying City boys. I can't disclose how I know this, but apparently a lot of them don't even have their own bank account, just a card linked to their husband's.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.