Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should parents be fined for taking kids on holiday? Watch

• View Poll Results: : Should Parents be fined?
    Yes
    31.25%
    No
    68.75%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaLDN)
    Yes, a fine is appropriate. Go on holiday another time.

No, only in the case of unforeseeable circumstances such as a funeral/ ill family & age (4/5/6 is not a big deal to miss a few days, once).
    Easy to say in theory but it's tough for parents when they have to fork out considerably more to go on holiday in August rather than June.

Plus, it's tough to have sympathy with schools when teachers are striking and interrupting parents' lives constantly.

ReputationRep:
    Only if teachers are fined for striking.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's fair on parents who simply can't take time off during the school holidays because of their jobs, or can't afford the more expensive travel fares and hotel costs during the breaks. Plus it's not as if the teachers are going to be paid any less because a child is missing from the class. The parents just need to be careful that the time off isn't going to seriously affect their children's performance in approaching exams and make sure that they'll easily be able to catch up on missed lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, parents should be able to take thier kids out of school if they want.

I took a month out of school all in term time in year 9. I used this time to travel down through africa with my dad and we had an awesome time then mother/brother flew out for the final week in the gambia with us then we flew home.

I was a straight A/A* student and it didn't matter. I did miss the entire history section on native americans but other than that i can't remmeber missing anything important. Still got 8/7/7 in SATs, the hgihest you could get in my school(We didn't do the papers for 8 in science/englsih but i got 100% in the science anyway.) Went on to get Mostly A* at GCSE, few As, then A*AAa at a level then a first in a Masters degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie !)
    That's what I would assume too, but evidently the school disagree…

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's horrible there's a difference between going on holiday in school time just because you want a cheaper one and going on holiday because it's the last one with your mum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoriajackson)
    That's horrible there's a difference between going on holiday in school time just because you want a cheaper one and going on holiday because it's the last one with your mum
    I know! It's horrible. It's shocking what schools don't allow these days.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. I missed schooldays quite frequently when I was younger but it never had a detrimental impact because I caught up. Unless your child is thick, missing a few days of school is no big deal.

Besides, I don't think it's really anyone's business other than the people concerned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Of course not. I missed schooldays quite frequently when I was younger but it never had a detrimental impact because I caught up. Unless your child is thick, missing a few days of school is no big deal.

Besides, I don't think it's really anyone's business other than the people concerned.
    lol that was funny but should be everyone views

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Only if teachers get fined for going on strike.
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Teachers should be fined for striking.
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Only if teachers are fined for striking.
    I don't know about how it was/is at your schools but at mine our teachers simply weren't paid on the days that they went on strike on which I suppose kind of counts as being fined?

ReputationRep:
    Lol sure let's get fined for breathing as well while we're at it.

I don't agree with parents taking their kids out during school time (for holidays, anyway) but jheez that's their business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophie !)
    I know! It's horrible. It's shocking what schools don't allow these days.
    It's more the government. They try to phrase it as if it's up to the headteacher but really they have had their discretion taken away.

I think that missing time should be greatly discouraged... missing a week in reception, for example, could mean missing 5 of the 40 odd sounds in English. Yes you can re-cap it and will likely catch up but the pace of work is SO fast at that age you will miss a lot. I have seen children in my class miss time (a week, maybe two) and come back completely confused not even remembering the class routines etc. So it does have an impact!

However I think that heads should be allowed a lot more discretion than currently. For example, some people can only get annual leave at certain times due to the nature of their job (people in the armed forces for example) and I think in these cases allowances should be made. There is an awful lot to gain for a child in terms of wellbeing as well as learning by spending quality time with their family and visiting a new place, and that needs to be recognised.

I will point out I'm not so worried about the money though. Personally I feel that if a holiday is too expensive to afford at the time you can visit, go somewhere cheaper! A holiday (as in travelling far away) is not an entitlement, it's a luxury. Time off to spend quality time together doesn't have to cost the world, and a stay away from home can be just down the road. I recognise that even UK based holidays often hike up their prices and this is a problem, but I don't feel it's fair for people to complain that the price of going to Florida or Spain is too expensive in the holidays, when by it's nature it's an expensive luxury anyway.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Yes they jolly well should. When I take my missus off peak for a fortnight in Majorca in October I do not want to be disturbed by a lot of screaming Brit chav kids who should be at school.

ReputationRep:
    i think the fine should occur after the holiday based on th child. Basically the child should be given a list of what is going to be taught over the time they miss. After the holiday the child is tested on these topics. If they do good no fine. If they do bad, give the parents a fine.

ReputationRep:
    My parents wanted to go on holiday this year (Year 12 for me). We'd usually go around March but because of this rule they decided to book a holiday in the week off school right in the middle of my exams (3 exams the week before, 3 exams the week after). I argued with them but they wouldn't let me stay at home.

Funnily enough, the exams I had when I got back went worse than any I've ever done, and I managed to answer less than half the questions in one of them.

Thanks, Mr Gove!

ReputationRep:
    No. It's not the state's business tbh.

My parents took me back home six months before my GCSEs and my teachers all said I was going to fail. In fact they refused to give me predicted grades. I did just fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Woah, you guys must have gone to good schools, I doubt I'd miss much if I missed a week or two at my school. Maybe a few fights? I'd just say someone died or some **** if they were trying to fine me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

The school should be allowed to use its discretion to authorise (or not) absences. Time off for funerals, weddings and other family events would count as authorised absences (i always thought schools were quite accommodating with this sort of thing, no?

If it's an unauthorised absence then yes they should be fined. If I just don't turn up for work without permission then I wouldn't get paid and face punishment. It should be no different in schools.

How would you feel if a teacher just turned round and said "i won't be in to teach your kids next week cos i'm going to magaluf", I know i get six weeks off at summer but it's cheaper to go now" there'd be outrage.

Taking holidays in term time is not allowed and parents who are outraged by being fined need to get over there sense of self-entitlement.

Finally, on a more personal level, I book a holiday before the holidays hoping to get a bit of piece and quiet before the school holidays and it's full of kids who shouldnt be there.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    double fines if you have ever said anything nice in public about Michael Gove.
    For that it's more serious... Public execution

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJ1012)
    Woah, you guys must have gone to good schools, I doubt I'd miss much if I missed a week or two at my school. Maybe a few fights? I'd just say someone died or some **** if they were trying to fine me.
    To be fair nothing happened at my school either, I could've easy took time off

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If it's your normal family holiday then yeah. It might be more expensive to go when the schools are on holiday but people don't need to go on holiday, it's not a right and plenty of people do without them.
    If it's for a funeral/family wedding then I don't think it's fair to fine them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.