The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Just graduated from Leicester! Studied Law - willing to answer anything!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellkins
I'm not going into a career in law, but TCs and Vac schemes are certainly things to be thinking about now. Definitely apply now if you want one for next summer, I think lots have deadlines around Christmas time. Then apply for training contracts this time next year I guess. But each firm will be different, some recruit 2 years in advance whereas smaller ones will recruit a lot nearer to the actual start date.

Edit - 2nd year is definitely a step up from 1st year, I think a lot of extra detail is needed and doing the reading is no longer optional!

What options are you considering then?
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 21
Original post by BesideThePoint
What options are you considering then?

Just non-law graduate jobs, it's still a valued degree no matter what you choose to do.
How many course textbooks did you have for each class? And when reading articles did they provide the links to the articles for you or did you have to find them yourself?
how difficult was it to memorize the needed information during exams or for essays?
how difficult was it to grasp legal writing and how long does it take to adapt to it when you start first year and have never had any experience with it?
What's the night life like?
What's the best thing about going there?
What's the careers advice like?
Do you know anyone who got a TC? /pursued law?
Reply 26
Original post by Coolsbreeze
How many course textbooks did you have for each class? And when reading articles did they provide the links to the articles for you or did you have to find them yourself?

One for each, some also needed a statute book and some gave you the option of a few different books but you only need one.
They'll give you the article title so it'll be easy to find on a database like Westlaw which they'll teach you how to navigate.
Reply 27
how difficult was it to memorize the needed information during exams or for essays?

It's fine for essays but for exams it was very difficult, there's a lot to remember! From Easter to my final exams was hell :P
Reply 28
how difficult was it to grasp legal writing and how long does it take to adapt to it when you start first year and have never had any experience with it?

It doesn't really take too long, you'll have lots of practice essays and you can use tutorial questions to try and develop your writing style too.
Reply 29
Original post by anonymouspie227
What's the night life like?
What's the best thing about going there?
What's the careers advice like?
Do you know anyone who got a TC? /pursued law?

Nightlife is pretty good, at the union and in the city centre too. Lots of places to choose and a good variety.
Best thing about going there - tough question! Probably the amount of extra things you can get involved in, sports, societies and events, there's so much to do and whatever your interests you'll find something to fit.
There's a career's advice service in the SU which is fairly good if you make an appointment. There's also the festival of careers in November time which can be quite insightful.
I think I know of one person who got a TC, and some others doing the LPC without one.
Would you say professors mainly focus on the lectures and tutorials rather than the book? How much emphasis should be placed on the textbook readings? Would casual reading of it suffice and referring to the book and using the lectures as a guide be a good strategy? And how much passion do you need for law to actually do well in it?
Original post by ellkins
Nightlife is pretty good, at the union and in the city centre too. Lots of places to choose and a good variety.
Best thing about going there - tough question! Probably the amount of extra things you can get involved in, sports, societies and events, there's so much to do and whatever your interests you'll find something to fit.
There's a career's advice service in the SU
which is fairly good if you make an appointment. There's also the festival of careers in November time which can be quite insightful.
I think I know of one person who got a TC, and some others doing the LPC without one.

Did people fail to secure a tc or did only one person you know apply?
Reply 32
Would you say professors mainly focus on the lectures and tutorials rather than the book? How much emphasis should be placed on the textbook readings? Would casual reading of it suffice and referring to the book and using the lectures as a guide be a good strategy? And how much passion do you need for law to actually do well in it?

The textbook is very important, you have to do the reading otherwise you have no chance. Lecture notes are a good starting point but you need to expand on them with the book. You need to be interested enough to want to read the book, I guess a little passion is needed!
Reply 33
Did people fail to secure a tc or did only one person you know apply?

Only one person I know applied, so I can't really say how many people failed to secure one. I do know it's incredibly difficult though!
Original post by ellkins
Only one person I know applied, so I can't really say how many people failed to secure one. I do know it's incredibly difficult though!

Ah that makes sense! Thank you very much for your replies!
Also any advice on how to make the most of 1st year?
Reply 35
Ah that makes sense! Thank you very much for your replies!
Also any advice on how to make the most of 1st year?

You're welcome! I'd say to join as many things as possible, go to the freshers' fair and see all the different clubs and societies, put your name down and go to their introductory events - you don't have to commit to anything, just go and see what it's all like. I made so many friends through societies and it's great to have regular things to go to. Obviously 1st year doesn't count so you have more time to try things out (but still try and do well as some things you may apply for will look at first year results!)
Would you mind telling us a few of the course textbooks that you used for your program?
Reply 37
Would you mind telling us a few of the course textbooks that you used for your program?

Sure, I can't promise they'll be the same for your year though! But in 1st year I used:

Legal Skills - Finch and Fafinski
Tort - Gilliker and Beckwith
Public Law - Elliott and Thomas
Cases and Materials on Constitutional and Administrative - Allen and Thompson
English legal system - Elliott and Quinn

Hope that helps. Like I said this is what I used in 1st year but the reading list may well have changed as that was 3years ago and I expect there are new ones now.
Can't remember what the contract book was called but I know they don't use the same one anymore anyway.
I'm guessing you pretty much had to read the entire book for each one of the courses?
Reply 39
I'm guessing you pretty much had to read the entire book for each one of the courses?

Pretty much, minus odd sections which weren't covered

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending