Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Just be yourself" - why is this bad advice? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    I note that this is probably the most mentioned 'worst advice you've ever received', so I wonder why many people think this.

What are the reasons that made you change your personality/looks/body to achieve the desired effect, whatever that may be?

And do you think that desired effect was worth the trade-off of staying true to yourself?

Please add in the thread what 'yourself' was, what the desired effect was, and how you changed yourself to achieve the desired effect.
    Two words

fat people

ReputationRep:
    It's nonsense because it's a throwaway, pointless, meaningless remark that a lot of people say because it's the kind of thing they like the sound of.

ReputationRep:
    I think someone said this earlier, but we are always changing. the person you are now isnt the same as the person you were 5 mins ago. we are an ever changing array of emotions and experiences. that being said, I believe its best to be yourself no matter what situation you are in. If some people dont like you, tough ****. Being liked by everyone means you dont have enough people around you that are gonna keep it 100% with you. Just my 2 cents man :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Its not bad advice. Its the BEST. Seriously i wish someone told me to be myself when i started secondary school. I'm a bit of a nutter who busts out dry jokes :lol: So i tried to be less me. However after a few months of being in year 7 the inner true me came out and everyone loved me Found so many friends.

I gave this advice to my cousin when she started year 7. The idiot ignored it and now shes rolling around with a Pauls boutique hand bag and complains about her friends all the time -.-

ReputationRep:
    I don't know who I am.

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority of people are average and by that I mean, they do the minimum needed to get by, or they follow the crowd like sheep and then wonder why they aren't doing particularly well, this is especially true with respect to finances. So by being themselves they stay average and then never really progress to where they ultimately want to be, and then blame it on everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Because it makes no sense

I can't think of any time I have consciously changed who I am to fit in, but do I act the same way around every single person? Of course not, the way I act around my parents, is different to how I act around my friends, to their parents, to the lady in Tesco's, to someone I have just met etc and even compared with how I acted one year ago.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's bad advice because you're not at peace with yourself if you are trying to match and live to other people's demands or expectations, but not your own. If you're not acting naturally then it's not a true reflection of yourself

Some people may change because they think it will make them happy, this is fine, I just have a problem when people advise others to change to appease other people and pleasing the one person who matters (yourself) is secondary

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.