Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trying to find a job after graduating and getting nowhere... Watch

ReputationRep:
    OP,
    Why not for starters try signing up to any twitter feeds/career mailing lists of companies which interest you. That way you'll be instantly alerted to any new jobs that become available.

Have you also looked at joining recruitment agencies? They can be awful, but some are good. Worth doing as it's always good to have someone else on side.

As you have previous managerial experience it would be easier to sell you to an employer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowman77)
    What jobs have you applied to? What has the Job Centre done to help you?

OP you have a lot more experience than most grads. You have managerial experience. If grads with much less experience can get jobs, then you definitely can. Lower your standards maybe.
    Lol, the job centre, good one

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe you've looked through all of those pages and not seen 1 job you like.
    Are you sure you're not being too picky? You never know, those jobs you're going past might be ones you'd enjoy.
    You say that they either ask for a certain skill set or degree but you might as well apply! (alot of the time they prefer experience anyway) I say, apply to as many as possible and make yourself interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)
    Your fault really. You did a law degree and there aren't many jobs and its hard to get into unless you network like hell. You should have done some pre degree research and took time out to make an informed choice.

I've graduated with a 2:1 in computer science and have had multiple job offers. There's loads of work out there for computer science graduates permitting they can prove they have the skills - portfolio work etc.

Honestly, I don't understand why so many people take degrees with no practical application and then moan when an employer or multiple employers won't take a chance on them.

Ever considered setting up a law based blog on WordPress for free and writing about stuff in the legal field you're interested in to show your knowledge and show what you can offer?
    Law does have a practical application, and no one thinks they'll be the average grad.

If thar poster has decent ECs, does their research on firms and get some parablozzing experience in for a year they're likely to get an alright TC in my experience, should they want one.

People getting signed penultimate year are still relatively rare, but plenty get a TC if they stick at it.

Blog's difficult without access to Westlaw or Lexis, your opinion on judgments you haven't read is never going to be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pipsico)
    The point was, your post was purely boastful. Don't pretend like you care. Get outta here!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't pretend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)
    Your fault really. You did a law degree and there aren't many jobs and its hard to get into unless you network like hell. You should have done some pre degree research and took time out to make an informed choice.
    This. People think they can do a degree and get a job in the related field without any difficulties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clh_hilary)
    I didn't pretend.
    You're right. I was giving you too much credit there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Lol, the job centre, good one
    I have no interest in getting the Job Centre involved, think they'd be more of a hindrance than a help tbh.

(Original post by elri)
    I can't believe you've looked through all of those pages and not seen 1 job you like.
    Are you sure you're not being too picky? You never know, those jobs you're going past might be ones you'd enjoy.
    You say that they either ask for a certain skill set or degree but you might as well apply! (alot of the time they prefer experience anyway) I say, apply to as many as possible and make yourself interested.
    I think it's more the fact that I don't know what I want to do. Because i'm going for jobs in different sectors, most of them appear out of my league. I had another look today and found a few to apply for, so that's a start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I have no interest in getting the Job Centre involved, think they'd be more of a hindrance than a help tbh.

I think it's more the fact that I don't know what I want to do. Because i'm going for jobs in different sectors, most of them appear out of my league. I had another look today and found a few to apply for, so that's a start.
    They are, unless you're on JSA (even then they're useless) then stay away!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    I doubt most of them are out of your league, you've already got a degree and I'm sure you've learnt many transferable skills. You need to look for jobs with a 'can do' attitude. What sectors do you think you'll most enjoy? Try to be positive and open minded about the jobs you apply for because they'll be much more likely to take on someone that appears enthusiastic

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.