Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UKIP reshuffle Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanctimonious)
    Yes. As a member of UKIP and supporter I know who they are and have done so for some time. I have even met two of them in person. Its not exactly hard to put a name to a face.

And don't tell me what to do and what not to do. Being in the army doesn't make you always correct so shove your attitude up your arse.
    So clearly you have a vested interest in them. But prove to me that the people in their constituencies know who they are.

Even though you're active in politics I reckon you'd struggle to name the full Labour Shadow Cabinet if presented with only their pictures and no internet.

Being a political activist you are not the average person on the street, who will have no clue who any of these people are. They may have heard one or two of their names being mentioned, but they won't recognise them or know anything about them.

You can't compare yourself to an average voter, because you're not. Using yourself as a comparison is therefore utterly pointless. And you know that. I mean, would you really call yourself "an average voter"?

And, if you're going to make this all personal, at least get your facts right: RAF.

ReputationRep:
    UKIP news?

Bit early for that isn't it? The next election isn't for another 10 months!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    So clearly you have a vested interest in them. But prove to me that the people in their constituencies know who they are.

Even though you're active in politics I reckon you'd struggle to name the full Labour Shadow Cabinet if presented with only their pictures and no internet.
    I would do just fine because I've self educated myself and have learnt about such stuff. Ask me a question on another topic that I have no knowledge of and you're probably correct. However there really is no excuse for not knowing people within politics given the influence politics has in our lives. Its just pure laziness and ignorance. And yes when I was younger I was ignorant too but then I grew up, learnt about such to make an informed choice on things that do and will influence how we live.

Please tell me how, like myself, in the world of the internet and free libraries, people can't become informed on such matters or the people involved? As stated earlier its their own ignorance and laziness. The same ignorance they have which leads to them not even bothering to vote in some cases.

You can't compare yourself to an average voter, because you're not. Using yourself as a comparison is therefore utterly pointless. And you know that. I mean, would you really call yourself "an average voter"?
    No and I actually didn't say I was. I did say that is due to their own lack of self education and ignorance though which is true. Just as my lack of knowledge about dentistry is due to my own lack of self education, pursuit of such knowledge and ignorance.

If anything I'd say a lot of these UKIP MEP's are well known because people have got back interested in politics. Where Labour and the Tories are concerned a lot of it is just blind voting 'I'll vote for them cause i hate Thatcher and my dad did'. Yes you get riff raff supporting UKIP but every party does because often the eccentric and mad people shout the loudest. However the majority of UKIP associated people are actually informed and have come to their decision because of their understanding that the three main parties don't speak for them any longer or didn't at all.

ReputationRep:
    If anything I'd say a lot of these UKIP MEP's are well known because people have got back interested in politics. Where Labour and the Tories are concerned a lot of it is just blind voting 'I'll vote for them cause i hate Thatcher and my dad did'. Yes you get riff raff supporting UKIP but every party does because often the eccentric and mad people shout the loudest. However the majority of UKIP associated people are actually informed and have come to their decision because of their understanding that the three main parties don't speak for them any longer or didn't at all.
    Still disagree with this.

Yes there's been a general apathy towards politics which has encouraged people towards UKIP, but no, I don't think that that means they know more about the politicians, rather they maybe know more about the politics.

They may well have been voted for, but they've been voted for because of the party, not because of them as a person. Nothing wrong with that, either, but just saying that to me, those two voting patterns are different.

Ask people in those constituencies who they voted for and the answer will be "UKIP", not "Ray Finch", "Jane Collins", etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob-C)
    What a great choice. Just the man to promote renewable energy sources which this country needs. Oh...

It might be surprising but the majority of people who live near windfarms (I guess you don't) oppose them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatgr)
    It might be surprising but the majority of people who live near windfarms (I guess you don't) oppose them
    Actually according to this study, local support for wind farms is greater than for fracking or nuclear plants:

1sun4all.com/wind-water/majority-uk-public-support-wind-farms-community/

ReputationRep:
    You're right on the question of whether I would oppose windfarms that are close to me as I probably would oppose one being built, like most others, if it was in a very close proximity to my house. But as I understand Roger Helmer opposes windfarms altogether, which is not an ideal view for a politician to hold in this day and age where we should be looking at investing in more renewables.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough that a lot of people oppose windfarms. I sympathise with the view that large wind turbines should be kept away from some countryside - inappropriately sited ones can harm bird populations, for example.

Helmer and UKIP don't just oppose inappropriately sited ones though, they oppose financial incentives for all renewables. And they deny that the climate change problem renewables try to solve even exists.

ReputationRep:

Only politically illiterate people have no clue who these people are. Nuttall has been on QT often and Diane James is always going on about something or other. The others are also quite outspoken considering UKIP don't even have one MP.

If people are ignorant of these people because they're not part of the established status quo that's more of a reflection on them than those within UKIP.

The only people who don't know who these are are the common uneducated person that reads the Daily Mails diatribe and takes it as gospel. They see Farage this and Farage that being promoted by the media. If they only gain their knowledge from the media then quite frankly they're idiots.
    I have a first class degree in politics, I could name about a handful of them and no more. The only people who would be able to name all of them are a small minority of UKIP activists.

ReputationRep:
    I would do just fine because I've self educated myself and have learnt about such stuff.
    So you could name more than three SNP politicians?

A single Plaid Cymru politician?

A single SDLP politician?

Really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    I have a first class degree in politics, I could name about a handful of them and no more.
    So what? There are people with no degree more clued up on politics than you just as there are people with no degree more clued up on computer science than me.

A degree dont mean much these days and certainly doesn't mean you would know it all. Save your gloating for someone that cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So you could name more than three SNP politicians?
    Yes.
    A single Plaid Cymru politician?
    Being welsh that's very easy yep. Unfortunately they have got a presence where I'm from.

A single SDLP politician?

Really?
    Yes.

Don't see why its a big deal. Does self education and interest not exist any more? Or does it stop at the university lecture doors these days?

Cricketers? Famous female authors? Could name one or two I suppose but that is it. Don't have an interest so don't have a clue.

Could however name loads of footballers all over the world and boxers going a century back. Only two sports I'm interested in apart from rugby which I played.

ReputationRep:
    So what? There are people with no degree more clued up on politics than you just as there are people with no degree more clued up on computer science than me.

A degree dont mean much these days and certainly doesn't mean you would know it all. Save your gloating for someone that cares.
    Christ, I don't think I've ever encountered someone as passively aggressive and just generally unpleasant as you on this forum. There was no gloating, all I was trying to do was demonstrate that your bizarre assertion that if you don't know the entire UKIP front bench you're some kind of politicly ignorant moron is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise UKIP had policies on anything other than immigration

ReputationRep:
    Christ, I don't think I've ever encountered someone as passively aggressive and just generally unpleasant as you on this forum. There was no gloating, all I was trying to do was demonstrate that your bizarre assertion that if you don't know the entire UKIP front bench you're some kind of politicly ignorant moron is wrong.
    No you were not. You were taking your usual highly arrogant approach of 'I have a degree in it so therefore I call judge'. Laughable. You do this in almost every thread you comment in taking a holier than thou approach as if you have the answer to everything. If you think my quite open intolerance to your arrogant attitude on this forum is passive aggressive then that's fine by me.

And yes, if you can't name numerous politicians in the current political world I'd question just how interested you are in the subject. Why dont you know who these people are?

I'm passionate about very few things but I put effort into them. Football, tech, boxing, education, politics, etc. If I'm not interested in something I simply won't bother wasting my time.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Being welsh that's very easy yep. Unfortunately they have got a presence where I'm from.

Yes.

Don't see why its a big deal. Does self education and interest not exist any more? Or does it stop at the university lecture doors these days?

Cricketers? Famous female authors? Could name one or two I suppose but that is it. Don't have an interest so don't have a clue.

Could however name loads of footballers all over the world and boxers going a century back. Only two sports I'm interested in apart from rugby which I played.
    Well hence I put in the other main regional parties too. I'vce lived in Scotland for six months and can only think of three SNP folk.

Thats pretty impressive, I'm terrible with names. I spotted the Minister of State for DfID earlier in London today. No idea what his name was though.

You assume people ever knew - when was the golden age when people knew more than the PM, SoS for the main offices of state and some of the official opposition?

Also you've total undermined your own areguement by saying you don't know of other significant figures. You're interested in politics, others in Surrey batsmen.

ReputationRep:
    No you were not. You were taking your usual highly arrogant approach of 'I have a degree in it so therefore I call judge'. Laughable. You do this in almost every thread you comment in taking a holier than thou approach as if you have the answer to everything. If you think my quite open intolerance to your arrogant attitude on this forum is passive aggressive then that's fine by me.
    Actually, that's the first post I think I've ever made about my degree so that's something else you've just pulled from our arse.

And yes, if you can't name numerous politicians in the current political world I'd question just how interested you are in the subject. Why dont you know who these people are?
    I can name numerous politicians, the UKIP front bench is however not really all that relevant to anyone except UKIP activists. You can be informed about and fully aware of what is happening in politics in this country without knowing who they are, just like you can be without knowing who is on the Labour NEC. Not that being able to reel of a list of politicians says much at all about how much you know about politics anyway.

I'm passionate about very few things but I put effort into them. Football, tech, boxing, education, politics, etc. If I'm not interested in something I simply won't bother wasting my time.
    You also seem deeply offended by the fact that most people don't care about UKIP as intensely as you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Well hence I put in the other main regional parties too. I'vce lived in Scotland for six months and can only think of three SNP folk.

Thats pretty impressive, I'm terrible with names. I spotted the Minister of State for DfID earlier in London today. No idea what his name was though.

You assume people ever knew - when was the golden age when people knew more than the PM, SoS for the main offices of state and some of the official opposition?

Also you've total undermined your own areguement by saying you don't know of other significant figures. You're interested in politics, others in Surrey batsmen.
    I said those that don't know are politically illiterate. That stands. I didn't undermine my own argument as I accept that when it comes to cricket etc I know next to nothing. I tend to stay away from such conversations as I do not wish to engage with people about a sport I have no interest in. I am therefore illiterate when it comes to cricket.

Whilst some will know and name loads of cricketers others will do the same with footballers or politicians or philosophers. Others will do authors. These people have a vested interest. Those that do tend to know more about such because passion is a driver and motivator.

I quite honestly can't believe that a politics student has no idea about certain people in his field. Yes these people are not the Cameron's or Milibands or Thatcher's or Benn's or Heaths but these are the current people in the political game. If he goes into politics they will either be working alongside him and campaigning or campaigning against him. He should know who these people are.

I know the people involved in education and computing - I know because I want to succeed and I want to get into the game myself - I want to know who is out there, what they're doing, who I can network with to better my career chances and who the opposition will be.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, that's the first post I think I've ever made about my degree so that's something else you've just pulled from our arse.
    So you don't take a holier than thou approach? Okay......you constantly do it throughout numerous threads.

I can name numerous politicians, the UKIP front bench is however not really all that relevant to anyone except UKIP activists. You can be informed about and fully aware of what is happening in politics in this country without knowing who they are, just like you can be without knowing who is on the Labour NEC. Not that being able to reel of a list of politicians says much at all about how much you know about politics anyway.
    You should know the people involved in the field/sector as well as having the subject knowledge or does networking not matter anymore? You wouldn't be the first politics student to get their foot into the door by joining or working with the opposition before making a move later on. Also I can't see how knowing more people in the current world can be a bad thing for networking and advancing your career.

You also seem deeply offended by the fact that most people don't care about UKIP as intensely as you do.
    Not really. Each to their own. If I cared that much I'd still be with TSR UKIP on here but I'll live and let people live. Find your comments hilariously rich though given you parade into almost the vast majority of threads to promote Labour and like to bash most right wing beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob-C)
    What a great choice. Just the man to promote renewable energy sources which this country needs. Oh...

We do? How so? Nuclear power is a clean form of energy which could, quite easily, power every city in the world for the next 1000 years.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.