The Student Room Group

how much experience did you have in a school when applying for pgce?

Scroll to see replies

This is awful news! I think it's bad enough that we live in a day and age where many people are expected to do weeks/months on end of something unpaid just to have a fart of a chance of being able to get paid in the long run. Very exploitative.

I'm all for getting a bit of work experience but paying to do it is awful. It frustrates me because I'm the kind of person who would probably pay up through fear of not being able to move on but this absolutely does not make it right :frown:

Original post by Airfairy
To be honest, it's really difficult, and I think a lot of providers are realistic at knowing you can't get much more than two weeks, and even that is hard. It is based on luck quite a lot because it really depends what the schools in your area are like. There were only a few near me who were co-operative, but even then they normally say they will only be able to give X amount of days (normally a couple).

I think I've said before in another thread, but one of the schools I did my work exp in last year have started charging £50 for two (maybe three) days work experience with them, under the guise of a "teaching experience package". I think it's disgusting to be honest. They are just exploiting the difficulty of us being able to find experience. I wouldn't ever pay for experience, just on principle.
(edited 9 years ago)
I did 6 months working as a volunteer teaching assistant two afternoons a week. At the time of applying I had done nearly 8 weeks. I found it hard to find opportunities to observe but the local comprehensive bit my hand off when I asked if I could volunteer in the SEN dept. I really enjoyed it and they were happy to put me in Science classes for most of them on the compromise that I helped out in other departments. They were really greatful for my help too. It WAS quite difficult at times but I guess I was lucky in that I was desperate for experience and they were desperate for help in a very over worked dept. I wasn't just sitting there watching either, I had to get right into it. Might be an idea if you're having trouble getting enough experience.

Edit to add - one of my soon to be class mates only had a couple of days in a Primary school as he has a very demanding job. This was all he could get despite applying for secondary science like me. He successfully got onto a popular School Direct position regardless. He obviously demonstrated that he could be a great teacher despite the little experience he had. All the best to everyone applying!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, I did a years experience in a primary school in FS2, 2 days a week, that was between june 11-dec 12, would this count towards my 2015 application or do you need recent experience?
Thanks!
Reply 23
Original post by sunshine25
Hi, I did a years experience in a primary school in FS2, 2 days a week, that was between june 11-dec 12, would this count towards my 2015 application or do you need recent experience?
Thanks!

It will help but some universities may question why you haven't had more recent experience. I would try and get more if I were you.
Thanks! I'm going to use it in my PS to show that i'm passionate about teaching and have been for a while but i've just put 5 days holiday in at work to get more recent experience in a primary school, hope that will be enough as i have no more holiday hours until next year :frown: hopefully working and completing my OU degree will show them i'm motivated even though I haven't been able to get as much experience as i would like lol fingers crossed anyways :smile:
Hi there
i have been accepted onto a secondary PGCE course starting next month at the IOE. I did one week at a local (challenging) comp in my chosen subject before offer with the agreement that I will do another week primary the week before the course starts, so 2 weeks in total.
Original post by Mr M
:confused:

Perhaps you are the "snob"? The rest of us are happy slumming it with our cut-price LEGOLAND Windsor tickets.

http://www.nasuwtbenefits.co.uk/benefits/details.aspx?OID=87&sm=5_15&SCI=29&btHome=1

I don't get it, Mr McGonagall.
I had a year unpaid as a TA in a ASD primary unit (was a placement as part of my uni course). I also had 2 weeks in the mainstream part of the same school (as a year with children with SEN isn't good enough) as well as working at a holiday club (SEN and mainstream) for 6 years, as well as working at a saturday club for children with SEN for a year, as well as helping to run a Rainbows group for a year, oh and helping every Monday in a different infant school for about 10 weeks (but that was 2 and 1/2 years ago at time of application)! However I was applying for a popular course (Early Primary) at a competitive university (Cambridge). I knew a lot of people at my interview had a lot more experience than me, and my lack of early years experience was picked up and commented on at interview.
I think 10 days is the minimum you should aim for really, that should be fine if you can reflect on it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending