Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is genius almost exclusively male? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Men are just naturally more clever. The efforts girls put in can only go so far

Also - harder subjects ie Maths and Sciences are more populated by men. Easier subjects about 'opinions' like English and Psychology are more populated by women

It is weird though, women have been cooking for thousands of years, yet the best chefs are men.

ReputationRep:
    While I do mostly agree with what you are saying, you must have some serious issues to keep posting stuff like this every day. Does your wife know you spend hours a day posting about this kind of thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Thanks for opening me up to all sorts of ridicule. I can do that very well by myself thank you :hand:
    Sorry I do agree with a lot of your posts. I was just exaggerating lol.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldsbabe)
    I honestly cannot fathom why we keep seeing threads like this posted over and over and over again.
    Are you looking for some kind of validation?
    Welcome to TSR. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes sir yes it is. Guess this thread is done with. Safe journey home everyone.

But seriously, I'm really apathetic about this now; sources seem to point to more geniuses being men but many aspects are subjective, especially where the arts are concerned. That's the closest to a reasonable conclusion you'll ever get from these threads. I don't know what else you aim to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordanap)
    Men are just naturally more clever. The efforts girls put in can only go so far

Also - harder subjects ie Maths and Sciences are more populated by men. Easier subjects about 'opinions' like English and Psychology are more populated by women

It is weird though, women have been cooking for thousands of years, yet the best chefs are men.
    I take it if you think "soft" subjects are easier then you have consistently gotten better grades in English than maths? Because if you hadn't it would almost be as if you are degrading English to validate your preference of STEM, despite not actually being as good at the subject you say is easy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Some women:

We have historically been repressed and are still yet to make advancements in industry and science.
    Give us a chance.
    Did you know men are also more stupid than women as well as being more smart?
    We have to have babies and sacrifice our careers.

Some men:

We are superior intellectually, we have more genius' than women but also more complete morons.
    We are biologically more suited to areas of competition and innovation.
    Women are better at feeling things and...doing jigsaws.

Me:

Move on. Find something else to post about.
    <3

(Original post by 99DeadBaboons)
    Being oppressed by the existing industry powers?
    What a dumb post. You think the founders of Microsoft, Apple, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, NetFlix, PayPal, eBay, Amazon, etc. etc. were only allowed to do what they did because they had a penis?

Internet startups are the most meritocratic domain out there. You don't have a boss; everyone has equal access to initial resources (i.e. the internet). If you make revenue or have a large customer base, you get funding. To plaintively cry about sexism preventing women from starting up companies is the height of self-victimisation and denialism.

Personally, I have tremendous respect for female dotcom founders like Anne Wojcicki, or for female engineers who've progressed to the top like Marissa Mayer. The fact remains, though, that they are very rare. And at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter that it is 95% men, just as it doesn't matter that 95% of prisoners are men - as long as the system is meritocratic (equivalently, the legal system is unbiased) then the best companies are the ones which receive funding, so no one except a man/woman-hater should give more than 2 figs about what the gender balance turns out to be.

ReputationRep:
    Well in the poorer/more strict countries women are still finding it hard to get a good education, especially in the Arab countries, seeing an Arab-woman physicist that's been educated in Arab countries is a rare sight.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe men are just better overall but we're not allowed to say the obvious because it's "misogynistic".

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who sees themselves as utterly superior are absolutely hilarious. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClickItBack)

What a dumb post. You think the founders of Microsoft, Apple, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, NetFlix, PayPal, eBay, Amazon, etc. etc. were only allowed to do what they did because they had a penis?

Internet startups are the most meritocratic domain out there. You don't have a boss; everyone has equal access to initial resources (i.e. the internet). If you make revenue or have a large customer base, you get funding. To plaintively cry about sexism preventing women from starting up companies is the height of self-victimisation and denialism.

Personally, I have tremendous respect for female dotcom founders like Anne Wojcicki, or for female engineers who've progressed to the top like Marissa Mayer. The fact remains, though, that they are very rare. And at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter that it is 95% men, just as it doesn't matter that 95% of prisoners are men - as long as the system is meritocratic (equivalently, the legal system is unbiased) then the best companies are the ones which receive funding, so no one except a man/woman-hater should give more than 2 figs about what the gender balance turns out to be.
    No, I don't "think the founders of Microsoft, Apple, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, NetFlix, PayPal, eBay, Amazon, etc. etc. were only allowed to do what they did because they had a penis". Perhaps you'll note that's why I didn't say anything of the kind. I was pointing out that a system exists where it's been proven that in virtually all aspects of industry, men in power will continue to give more opportunities to men.

If you didn't also pick up on it, my post was a sarcastic rhetorical question, not actually meant to serve as an all-encompassing answer. But yeah, this is the internet, so by all means, feel free to exaggerate my post into a ridiculous claim and then act insulted by what you find in the result.

ReputationRep:
    Men are the superior gender, not even trying to be sexist or uneducated here but it's true. We're smarter, stronger, faster, there will be plenty of women who can get near the top of things you mentioned but at the end of the day men are always going to be at the top.

ReputationRep:
    You're my new favourite TSR'er
    Awww shucks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99DeadBaboons)
    No, I don't "think the founders of Microsoft, Apple, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, NetFlix, PayPal, eBay, Amazon, etc. etc. were only allowed to do what they did because they had a penis". Perhaps you'll note that's why I didn't say anything of the kind. I was pointing out that a system exists where it's been proven that in virtually all aspects of industry, men in power will continue to give more opportunities to men.

If you didn't also pick up on it, my post was a sarcastic rhetorical question, not actually meant to serve as an all-encompassing answer. But yeah, this is the internet, so by all means, feel free to exaggerate my post into a ridiculous claim and then act insulted by what you find in the result.
    If you had even a modicum of deductive reasoning ability, you'd see that your claim clearly implies that those founders were favoured substantially because they had a penis.

And it's been 'proven'? Let's see the proof then. Specifically in the area of startup technology firms, please. Show us that you're not just flailing wildly and coming up with smoke out of your ass.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly cannot fathom why we keep seeing threads like this posted over and over and over again.
    Are you looking for some kind of validation?
    It's a perfectly valid topic for discussion; I tire much more easily of obnoxious responses like this than these sorts of threads.

Perhaps you are afraid of what you might find by exploring the enormous gender imbalance in human progress; in recent years credible research has shown that men dominate the plains of brilliance genetically. It is certainly not as simple as women being suppressed; for decades more than most people on this forum have been alive that has been a victim mentality with less and less basis in reality.

ReputationRep:
    As a kind of discussion about the discussion, how insecure do you have to be to make this sort of thread?

"I am a winner, r...right guys? :cry:"

ReputationRep:
    I assume you don't have the minimal intelligence required in order to use my capabilities as the constant of integration so I shall not comment on how ridiculous your assertion is.

At the end of the day, some geniuses are men, some are women, more happen to be men, that's just the way it is

ReputationRep:
    Cannot remember where I saw it, but I recall mens IQ scores having a higher standard deviation, so that there would certainly be many more male geniuses than there would for women (the flip side is there are more males who are intelectually challenged).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevieA)
    I don't understand why in an age where women are more educated than men they still contribute so little at the top of every single field there is, whether we're talking quantum physics, chess or Silicon Valley. There isn't a single female founder in none of the sites you use on a daily basis. Everything you are using right now : phone, tablet, laptop, PC, internet or this very site were invented, innovated, designed or started by men.

Why do men dominate every single intellectual field with such utter brutality? Maybe you'll say society stops girls from being into maths and so on : so why are the best artists, chefs, hairdressers and fashion designers men even in 2014 ?
    because scientifically men think more logically then women. No offense to any women.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.