Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you still get surprised when...? watch

ReputationRep:
    My uncle speaks fluent English without an accent, I've gotten used to it but I can imagine him surprising many people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Hmmmm... My friend had a Dutch accent and it was definitely obvious she had one.

I think we should be taught MFLs from primary school. But I mean countries like India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, less so China.

:lol: same!

I can imagine it more surprising in Ireland. Do you know any ethnics (probably not pc) with Irish accents?
    Yes but they are all my age! To be honest, I get surprised if I meet someone over 25 with an Irish accent, whom I have never met by the way. Its like a whole other world here in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Unless you were on a plane from China, that was pretty obnoxious of you... :eek3:
    NAA how so lol?

Nothing wrong with trying to improve being a polyglot.

Looks like? How do they look?

Some accents are cool though.

Hispanics sound cool though anyway, and they can speak Spanish so all is well.
    Indians... Nah

That's true yeah.

I like their accent lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexKay99)
    Yes but they are all my age! To be honest, I get surprised if I meet someone over 25 with an Irish accent, whom I have never met by the way. Its like a whole other world here in England.
    It's a good thing I guess I just have to make sure when I don't do the :eek: face when they speak
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Looks like? How do they look?
    I don't know how to describe it and i'll do my best. For example if you have a meeting with someone and they are called Erhard Täubert. Then you'd go in and they speak perfect English with a English accent. Then you are like :eek:

Get me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    I don't know how to describe it and i'll do my best. For example if you have a meeting with someone and they are called Erhard Täubert. Then you'd go in and they speak perfect English with a English accent. Then you are like :eek:

Get me?
    Oh their names.

My name would get you then :lol: you'd think I was a fresh foreigner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fnatic NateDestiel)
    NAA how so lol?

Nothing wrong with trying to improve being a polyglot.
    You're supposed to actually ask someone if they're from ____ or where they're from and then ask if you can use them as a guinea pig for your own selfish purposes. And let's be honest, a fairly large part of the purpose is usually to try to show off and feel smug. Whereas for them it's not impressive at all and you're just a self-obsessed ******** wasting their time. Unless you're fairly advanced and you had a reason to talk to them in the first place/had established a casual conversation already.

ReputationRep:
    You're supposed to actually ask someone if they're from ____ or where they're from and then ask if you can use them as a guinea pig for your own selfish purposes. And let's be honest, a fairly large part of the purpose is usually to try to show off and feel smug. Whereas for them it's not impressive at all and you're just a self-obsessed ******** wasting their time. Unless you're fairly advanced and you had a reason to talk to them in the first place/had established a casual conversation already.
    Do you hate all males?

There is nothing wrong with trying to improve my learning.

And they see it as friendly and trying to engage in their customs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fnatic NateDestiel)
    Do you hate all males?

There is nothing wrong with trying to improve my learning.

And they see it as friendly and trying to engage in their customs.
    Excuse me?

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me?
    Well do you?

Well, excYOUUUUUUUUse me..

Or is it because I am Asian?

Or because I have a male as my dp?

I believe in equal rights, I don't like imbalance

ReputationRep:
    My South African teachers speak English really well and I was only surprised a year after being taught by them by the realisation that they were brought up in and lived most of their lives in South Africa. I actually happened to ask one of them why they have a British accent and he replied: "no, my accent is an educated one, not a British one...".
    No, it was definitely British. I'm sure! :P

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.