Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are we too young to decide our future careers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, yes. The process of deciding your future starts when you are in the process of deciding your GCSE options.

However, generally speaking, one can spread the risk by opting for subjects or courses that relate to areas of interest. Of course, many careers are liberal, in that they accept candidates with a diverse academic background. Being 'too young' is also an issue that is more relevant to certain careers than others.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah 17/18 years is tons of time!!! We do have it really easy worrying about these small things haha come on guys grow up a bit

ReputationRep:
    The american system is better where you can just study anything and it has no bearing on the career you go into afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    The american system is better where you can just study anything and it has no bearing on the career you go into afterwards.
    certain careers require certain knowledge one way or the other, if you don't study it at uni you will have to learn it after. Whether that is post grad or on the job, it still delays people properly entering those careers.

ReputationRep:
    Not old enough to buy alcohol but old enough to decide what you want to spend the rest of your life doing? Top idea that one...

ReputationRep:
    what?

elaborate..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    Not old enough to buy alcohol but old enough to decide what you want to spend the rest of your life doing? Top idea that one...
    I said the exact same thing, its a really big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    what?

elaborate..
    UK degrees are very specific. Whereas in USA you can study a variety of subjects at uni.

ReputationRep:
    UK degrees are very specific. Whereas in USA you can study a variety of subjects at uni.
    There are several multi disciplinary uk degrees though - Exeter, Birmingham, Ucl, kings

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think we are. I feel we are expected to make life changing decisions about our future but yet at college i can't go to the toliet without asking. I don't see how they can expect me to make big decisions but yet i can't even do something as simple as going to the toliet at college without asking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's not as willy-nilly as you're making it out to be. There is more variety in U.S. degrees, but your major still accounts for the vast majority of your work.

There are optional modules in different disciplines in courses here as well.

ReputationRep:
    Generally speaking, smart people don't know what they wanna do with their lives until they're in their early twenties or so.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.