Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dentist payment Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplylldxo)
    Why do you think universities are telling their graduates they have to wait until September to apply for JSA.
    Nope. I know someone who signed on around two weeks after finishing her degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingKitsune)
    Nope. I know someone who signed on around two weeks after finishing her degree.
    2 weeks!? Why so early, are they pessimistic about their employability or something?

Either way OP won't get JSA so they will need to find alternatives way of payment.

ReputationRep:
    2 weeks!? Why so early, are they pessimistic about their employability or something?

Either way OP won't get JSA so they will need to find alternatives way of payment.
    You need money in the meantime if your family can't afford to support your financially, once you have a job afterwards it's not a problem.

How do you know? Do you work for the jobcenter? Other people have gotten it, I don't know why you're being so pessimistic yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, they were going onto a Master's afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntdoug)
    You need money in the meantime if your family can't afford to support your financially, once you have a job afterwards it's not a problem.

How do you know? Do you work for the jobcenter? Other people have gotten it, I don't know why you're being so pessimistic yourself.
    Could apply for agencies? They get you a job asap

I've done a placement within JCP so yeah I have technically worked for them, I also was on the dole for a year too. You aren't allowed to claim JSA whilst you are in the transition period as you won't be looking for work and it's not a benefit you can be on for a couple of months then stop claiming. There is an exception with this however; claimants with children could claim it but it's not granted in every case.

ReputationRep:
    Could apply for agencies? They get you a job asap

I've done a placement within JCP so yeah I have technically worked for them, I also was on the dole for a year too. You aren't allowed to claim JSA whilst you are in the transition period as you won't be looking for work and it's not a benefit you can be on for a couple of months then stop claiming. There is an exception with this however; claimants with children could claim it but it's not granted in every case.
    You just don't have to tell them, realistically a lot of people would be willing to give up a university place if they were offered the right job, which realistically could happen while being signed on with the jobcentre.

It's only temporary, why do you care so much? Government money gets wasted on so many worse things, like the boob job of Josie Cunningham...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntdoug)
    You just don't have to tell them, realistically a lot of people would be willing to give up a university place if they were offered the right job, which realistically could happen while being signed on with the jobcentre.

It's only temporary, why do you care so much? Government money gets wasted on so many worse things, like the boob job of Josie Cunningham...
    Slight problem with not telling them about Uni; they ask for your NI number which they will put into their system and it'll flag up on HMRC that you've applied for student finance. HRMC is connected with DWP and SLC so you'll get refused.

It's not that I do care... It's the fact people aren't getting it into their heads that you can't get benefits whilst you are in the transition between one place of education to another. If the students need money, they work. Simple as that really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.