Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Your Father/Male/Manhood Icon Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eva.Gregoria)
    My father wasn't present and I still don't have a father icon. I don't think I need one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i don't believe you. we all in our mind have an idea of what a man and women are suppose to be like.

its very unique to us.

usually inspired by a blend of our parents and society and our selves.

like you can analyse a bit about someone from their choice.

for example

terminator from terminator two is a rescue figure. the ultimate killing machine and protector of the boy.
    like the words of sarah conner "The Terminator would never stop. It would never leave him. It would never hurt him, never shout at him, or get drunk and hit him, or say it was too busy to spend time with him. It would always be there. And it would die to protect him. Of all the would-be fathers who came and went over the years, this thing, this machine was the only one that measured up."

so from this you can tell protection from violence was quite a big priority. meaning hey... grew up in a violent house hold. also the terminator would never leave him (yes i know he does but im talking about sarah conners quote). showing abandonment issues. which again. no dad on the scene.

so you can see how my upbringing. no father.
    my environment. frightening and violent
    inspired my reaction to desire to be like or have a father like terminator.

we all have a sense of what a man should be. or what a women should be.
    whether we like to admit it or not. there is something in our mind that says. thats effeminate... thats masculine. and its based off of an ideal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick.w)
    i don't believe you. we all in our mind have an idea of what a man and women are suppose to be like.

its very unique to us.

usually inspired by a blend of our parents and society and our selves.

like you can analyse a bit about someone from their choice.

for example

terminator from terminator two is a rescue figure. the ultimate killing machine and protector of the boy.
    like the words of sarah conner "The Terminator would never stop. It would never leave him. It would never hurt him, never shout at him, or get drunk and hit him, or say it was too busy to spend time with him. It would always be there. And it would die to protect him. Of all the would-be fathers who came and went over the years, this thing, this machine was the only one that measured up."

so from this you can tell protection from violence was quite a big priority. meaning hey... grew up in a violent house hold. also the terminator would never leave him (yes i know he does but im talking about sarah conners quote). showing abandonment issues. which again. no dad on the scene.

so you can see how my upbringing. no father.
    my environment. frightening and violent
    inspired my reaction to desire to be like or have a father like terminator.

we all have a sense of what a man should be. or what a women should be.
    whether we like to admit it or not. there is something in our mind that says. thats effeminate... thats masculine. and its based off of an ideal.
    I never said I have no sense of how men or women should be :confused:

I just said I don't have a male/father figure that inspires me in any way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I never said I have no sense of how men or women should be :confused:

I just said I don't have a male/father figure that inspires me in any way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well i said icon too.

or if u want u could say "signifier" of masculinity.

ReputationRep:
    well i said icon too.

or if u want u could say "signifier" of masculinity.
    Nope I have nothing of the sort :no:

I have lived my life pretty independent of a lot of male influences tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nope I have nothing of the sort :no:

I have lived my life pretty independent of a lot of male influences tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well im sure if u used enough imagination and effort you could think of something.

human beings are very mentally capable. the idea that you hit a mental brick wall that you cannot physically over come is nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    well im sure if u used enough imagination and effort you could think of something.

human beings are very mentally capable. the idea that you hit a mental brick wall that you cannot physically over come is nonsense.
    Are you asking if I have an idea of strong men or if I can conjure up an image of masculinity or you asking who would I consider a male role model in my life apart from my father?

In which case, I have none?

Maybe I misunderstood your OP but I have zero male role models.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you asking if I have an idea of strong men or if I can conjure up an image of masculinity or you asking who would I consider a male role model in my life apart from my father?

In which case, I have none?

Maybe I misunderstood your OP but I have zero male role models.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    either way uve got nothing to contribute to the thread other than "i have none"

so im done here.

ReputationRep:
    either way uve got nothing to contribute to the thread other than "i have none"

so im done here.
    Well at least another girl mentioned that she had none, don't know why you're picking on my post.

And regardless of everything, it's still a valid response to your OP so boohoo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    No one. Only my father. I lived by his code and followed all the rules that he set out for me.

ReputationRep:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Come ooon, surely I'm not the only one?!

I full-on cried for about an hour when he died...
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GnomeMage)
    Man this man is a ****ing genius, he inherited a ****hole country and turn it into the most prosperous country in SEA. Legend forever.
    That isn't entirely accurate.

Relative to other SE Asian countries at independence it was actually hardly a ****hole. Singapore was a British administrative centre throughout much of its modern history therefore it benefited that it had lots of infrastructure and systems already in place. Also it has always had a thriving port.

It certainly was lucky to have Lee Kuan Yew as a leader for so long though, he was a good leader and manager which ultimately was the reason for Singapore's success.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.