Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K3lvin)
    im trying to learn code but sometimes i feel it isnt for me and confuses me but i want to become a software developer and i always have my doubts i can barely find any work experience online ive searched pretty much everything

i also wanted to know how to become an I T consultant as it is a job that interests me and one that is another option for me, could someone give me an in depth view of how to become an IT consultant and what it takes thank you
    I really recommend you persevere with becoming a software developer. i am currently working as an intern in the technology industry and their is a massive shortage of developers. If you can code in the right coding languages you are pretty much guaranted a job.

If you still want to learn a great institution called the makers academy provides intensive 12 week courses (check out their website www.makersacademy.com) You can only get in through applying but they are incredibly good at what they do.

Or if you would like a free code site try Codecademy (www.codecademy.com) This is completely free.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how I found this thread or site but I'm a software developer of 12 years experience and I can assure you all that a) there is a massive skills shortage b) a proven ability to write code that does the right thing trumps qualifications (including degrees) for 95% of programming jobs and c) as a beginner you can expect to be confused a lot. Unless you're a genius you will vacillate between mini triumph and head scratching despair for your entire career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)
    without a degree in comp sci you will never get into software dev.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Definitely untrue. Although a RELEVANT degree e.g. EE, Network management or CS will help a lot, it is certainly not impossible to get in without one. Even having a degree in for example Law or Economics would be fine with some experience.

(Original post by mynameisntdoug)
    have you actually involved yourself at all in the software development industry? many people get in without degrees, through experience. and even then, a lot of people specialize in software engineering degrees instead of computer science.
    Whilst it is true that a fair few people get into the field without any degree, it will be a massive hindrance in my opinion. Although as I said above it doesn't have to be hugely relevant, and it definitely doesn't have to be CS.

As an aside, having worked at a large multinational technology company, and having talked to a lot of people there, many managers actually prefer an engineering or similar degree over CS.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.