Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

B693 - Foreign Languages Tuition (Amendment) Bill 2014 (Second Reading) Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O133)
    The UN official languages are French, Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Arabic (plus English). This is deliberately left as it is should the UN decide to add other languages.
    Ah. Well stick that in with a note that those languages are subject to change and then change around the additional languages and you'll have my vote.

ReputationRep:
    3 years is not enough for many people to gain confidence or a passion for a language and culture, so I'd suggest either removing an additional compulsory language in KS3 and replacing with small taster sessions in several different/exotic languages or extend an additional compulsory language to KS2/KS4 or both or a combination.

Personally, I'd like to see 2 languages as standard from Years 3-11 with Mandarin/Russian/Arabic/Portuguese short-term taster courses along the way.

If that could be adapted to be included in a Third Reading, then it's an Aye.

Too many languages!
      • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MacDaddi)
      Too many languages!
      No such thing! Seriously, children in some European countries learn 3 or 4 languages.

(Original post by PhysicsKid)
      3 years is not enough for many people to gain confidence or a passion for a language and culture, so I'd suggest either removing an additional compulsory language in KS3 and replacing with small taster sessions in several different/exotic languages or extend an additional compulsory language to KS2/KS4 or both or a combination.

Personally, I'd like to see 2 languages as standard from Years 3-11 with Mandarin/Russian/Arabic/Portuguese short-term taster courses along the way.

If that could be adapted to be included in a Third Reading, then it's an Aye.
      This is really a bare minimum, it's possible to take multiple languages at GCSE (and I would definitely consider a clause requiring schools to offer at least 2 languages at GCSE - possibly 3 - in a third reading).

Again, I'd happily put in a second compulsory language at KS2, but questions arise about resources. I'll consider it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by O133)
      QFA
      Too many languages. Hindi, Turkish, Japanese and Italian are all pointless in the business world. In India most business is conducted in English. Turkish? Barely used. Japanese, although useful now, it is suffering a major population crises and will start to decline rapidly. Italian all of the above apart from it is basically pointless already.

(Original post by Cryptographic)
        Japanese, although useful now, it is suffering a major population crises and will start to decline rapidly.
        Population decline doesn't make a language useless, Japanese is a core business language which won't be changing anytime soon.

Arabic, English, French, German, Japanese, Mandarin, Russian and Spanish are the languages of the business world.

Edit: I wouldn't learn Japanese personally as while it's a core business language I have no desire to go to Japan other than to Tokyo and even then I'm not 100% sure I want to go. Arabic, Mandarin and Russian should all be taught along with French, German and Spanish.

Personally I'd go German and Russian but French generally tops and Arabic or Mandarin are more useful in the short-medium term emerging markets wise whereas Russian is more useful in the medium-long term.

My children shall be taught English (mine and mother's common language), French (my language) and Russian (mother's language) with intermediate Arabic and German most likely as if you teach them the languages alongside their mother tongue as you're teaching their mother tongue, they'll pick them up quickly and retain once they go to school to finish off their study of languages.

Language learning, like all learning starts at home but of course you need resources and time which many parents lack
        • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by tehFrance)
        I fully support Arabic, French, German, Mandarin, Russian and Spanish being taught but to throw in such uselessness as Hindi, Italian and Turkish is just barmy.
        I totally agree. We should definitely teach the 6 main languages for global business so this will have my support if you ditch the rest.
        • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
        This is in cessation.
        • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
        Division! Clear the lobbies!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2014
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.