Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I had a baby at 20 AMA! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vickidc18)
    Just bought our first home, yes & our families are very happy. I'm starting my nurse training in september.
    Makes me happy hearing that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stinkum)
    This is utter nonsense. Sure, in some situations, yes it is a bad idea. But if they two people are married and they were intending and planning on having a family, then it's a great thing.
    I wouldn't have children until I was 30/40 and that's IF I decide to have them. I prefer living by myself and doing what I want to do which involves a lot of travelling and spontaneity. A baby would mean I'd have to put it before me and I'd struggle doing this, as I'd feel like my life is slowly being sucked dry by it to a point of inertia
    +--

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.Wright)
    I wouldn't have children until I was 30/40 and that's IF I decide to have them. I prefer living by myself and doing what I want to do which involves a lot of travelling and spontaneity. A baby would mean I'd have to put it before me and I'd struggle doing this, as I'd feel like my life is slowly being sucked dry by it to a point of inertia
    +--
    Personally, I think 30/40 is too old to have children. Ideally, I'd like to start a family in my mid-to-late 20s. But, considering your situation and circumstances, I can understand why you wouldn't want children at an early age. It's a fair point that you've made there.

ReputationRep:
    tmi. probably shouldn't be talking about crowning on TSR.

Why shouldn't she talk about the MOST natural thing in the whole world?
    It isn't sexual, it's the process of bringing a life into the world.

And I don't think she's got anything to worry about with threads like "Is my **** big enough?" and "I don't like the way vaginas look."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Does it make you feel like more of an adult?

Do other people your age seem childish and/or immature in comparison with you and your new found responsibilities?

Also was the baby planned? (if you don't mind me asking)
    Yes in some ways, my life has been turned upside down & I kind of envy normal students in some ways, I'm having to juggle baby, studying & working part time I kind of get annoyed when people say ooo it's so hard studying when they are single and just have to concentrate on uni.
    No she wasn't planned and I was travelling in China when I found out!!!

(Original post by Wilsoncw1997)
    Are you in school or working?

Both right now,
    (Original post by empdc)
    why did you have a baby at 20? did you not go to university or something?
    No I wasnt privileged enough, my mum walked out when I was 12, Dad didn't want me my nan looked after me then she died so at 16 I had to move into a shared house with other teens, none of the support workers talked to me about my education they just said get a job etc. I did okay in my GCSE's so I started an apprenticeship at a Youth offending team when I was 16, I got to 19 and my job didn't seem to be taking me anywhere so I decided to start an access course.

(Original post by Cornelius)
    Do you have any regrets so far about having a child this young?
    Not really, my mum never really loved me so I love being able to shower my daughter with the love I never had. I've never really been interested in the clubbing scene,

Having a baby at 20 is a very bad idea if you ask me.
    Why? It was my choice as long as you can support a child without the states help it's fine whatever age.

tmi. probably shouldn't be talking about crowning on TSR.
    Probs true

ReputationRep:
    Are your family supportive?

How do you respond to criticism from people of a similar age?

(Just thought I'd add that it's awesome you're managing to continue with nursing at the same time!)

ReputationRep:
    Do you feel there is some sort of stigma in society for young mum's? Have you ever had any negative comments, people assuming you're living off benefits etc?

ReputationRep:
    How did the father initially react

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I think 30/40 is too old to have children. Ideally, I'd like to start a family in my mid-to-late 20s. But, considering your situation and circumstances, I can understand why you wouldn't want children at an early age. It's a fair point that you've made there.
    You'd have a strong ground to argue for this from a medical perspective, as apparently children conceived by mother's in their late 30s/early 40s have an increased chance of defects like down syndrome as well as others I can't name.

That being said, I think this risk is marginally small and when factors like time/money/stability are considered , it becomes one of many deciding factors on when is the right time to have children. I certainly would not be constrained by this risk and instead, I would rather live my life as I want to.

And should she ever divorce / separate from the baby's father, she'll have a tough time finding another man who wants to take on another man's child. Most men prefer women NOT to have any children when they date them.

I'll wait until I'm 30/40, then I'll reach the dilemma - 'If you want children now, you need to have them now, else you're too old otherwise'. At least I get to enjoy my youth this way.

ReputationRep:
    How does it feel spending the best years of your life that you won't get back raising kids?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations and good luck with your nursing studies!

ReputationRep:
    Go on....
    Are you planning to have another one?

ReputationRep:
    Was the baby planned?

If not, what made you want to keep the baby?

Will you marry the father of your baby?

ReputationRep:
    Srsly , why all the negative comments. O_O

ReputationRep:
    No she wasn't planned and I was travelling in China when I found out!!!
    Wow O.o

I guess that was stressful

What made you decide to have the baby rather than terminate the pregnancy? (that seems like a harsh question now it is a tiny person )

I can't even comprehend the thought of being a parent right now.

Also do you ever get idiots judging you for being a young (by modern western standards) parent?

ReputationRep:
    Well no one asked you. :rolleyes:

OP did you have pain relief during labour?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldsbabe)
    Why shouldn't she talk about the MOST natural thing in the whole world?
    It isn't sexual, it's the process of bringing a life into the world.

And I don't think she's got anything to worry about with threads like "Is my **** big enough?" and "I don't like the way vaginas look."
    Childbirth IS sexual as it's got to do with reproduction.

ReputationRep:

No one did though so i think we're going to be okay

ReputationRep:
    why would you ruin your life like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    why would you ruin your life like that
    :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.