Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you do if someone proposed to you in public after six months? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Why did you say no, he obviously knows how to treat a woman.
    He was too scared to call up my mahram innit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    He was too scared to call up my mahram innit
    Ahh ****. School boy error.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the relationship. Some people know that their partner is "the one" long before 6 months. My parents, for example, were engaged after 6 months of meeting and they married just over 2 years later. My mum told me thst the day she met my dad, she went home and told my grandma that she had met the man she was going to marry. They met when my mum was 15. Engaged at 16 and married at 19 30 years later, they're still happily married.

Oh, and my dad proposed in the high street in front of loads of random shoppers because he couldn't wait for that evening (they were going bowling for their 6 month anniversary)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would just say clearly, "We'll discuss it in private." Then nobody in the public audience can judge you.

Then reject her as it's only been 6 months.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Ahh ****. School boy error.
    Heheh as if anyone ever proposed to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieC130)
    And when I say in public I mean he/she made a big thing about it in a restaurant or something. What would you do?

Bonus question- What if it'd only been a month?
    Yes as long as it is a Haribo ring, no otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    I'd drag him off somewhere private and say no or yes. Maybe if I really wanted to say yes, I'd get swept up on the moment and say yes in public but either way he'd be in for a telling off for proposing in public....

ReputationRep:
    My cousin got engaged, for the 5th time in 6 years, last week. She's known the guy 3 weeks and he looks like a bowling ball on legs.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    After nearly dying of embarrassment, I would politely drag him to somewhere quiet and then give him my answer. If I loved him I would say yes, if it were still early days and we were more like seeing each other rather than going out, I would say no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I hate awkward situations and attention.
    So I'd probably say yes and be stuck forever.

Or maybe I'd say yes and pretend I was happy.

Then leave the restaurant and break down, saying I can't deal with getting married.

That's what he gets for asking me like that. Especially so suddenly.

ReputationRep:
    I'd tell him quietly that I need to think about it which he should be OK with. Then privately later on I'd tell him it's too early for me.

ReputationRep:
    It would be all the more rare, as it would be a female doing the proposing.

In terms of a reply, if I loved them and they genuinely loved me back, then I would say yes.

The age of the relationship will have no impact on the success of the marriage in the long term. So why place an artificial barrier in the way of happiness.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.