Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for all the replies. Very interesting to read, yet I guess I have to take it all with a pinch of salt, as I'd imagine my subject will be slightly less employable than the main ones.

Does anyone know if there is any sort of place I can look to see employability stats for my subject/course? I would love to hear someone's experiences from an R.E. PGCE but I don't know of any R.E. PGCE students on here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Thanks very much for all the replies. Very interesting to read, yet I guess I have to take it all with a pinch of salt, as I'd imagine my subject will be slightly less employable than the main ones.

Does anyone know if there is any sort of place I can look to see employability stats for my subject/course? I would love to hear someone's experiences from an R.E. PGCE but I don't know of any R.E. PGCE students on here
    My friends housemate did an re pgce last year. He didn't apply for any jobs until May (not due to a lack of vacancies) and then applied for one, got an interview and got the job. Anecdotal evidence there, not the stats you wanted but it might help a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    My friends housemate did an re pgce last year. He didn't apply for any jobs until May (not due to a lack of vacancies) and then applied for one, got an interview and got the job. Anecdotal evidence there, not the stats you wanted but it might help a bit.
    It may be anecdotal but that's good to hear nonetheless. Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)

I don't know anyone who did an RE PGCE but I know a few people on my course (History) ended up getting History/RE jobs. I got a History job and still have to teach some RE.. so even if there aren't any straight RE jobs, try and be open to teaching bits of other Humanities subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    IF you don't mind stretching into other humanities subjects such as history, geography or citizenship you'll be fine. You could probably get away with teaching citizenship and R.E. quite easily at a school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    I don't know anyone who did an RE PGCE but I know a few people on my course (History) ended up getting History/RE jobs. I got a History job and still have to teach some RE.. so even if there aren't any straight RE jobs, try and be open to teaching bits of other Humanities subjects

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Barton316)
    IF you don't mind stretching into other humanities subjects such as history, geography or citizenship you'll be fine. You could probably get away with teaching citizenship and R.E. quite easily at a school.
    I don't mind stretching out at all...I'm just a bit worried about my employability in that respect, seeing as I have no GCSEs or A-Levels in any humanities subjects (including R.E believe it or not!).

Sigh. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. I'm always surprised when I hear of history/geog teaching R.E, because at my school, and all the ones I did experience at, they always had R.E. teachers teaching only R.E. :dontknow: .

ReputationRep:
    Really does depend on the area. I'm doing PGCE Business Studies, last year as far as I know everyone who completed the course has now got a job, a few are teaching Business and RE???? I think you have to be prepared to teach anything really, which is why I'm going to try and gain experience in different subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy_jucie)
    Really does depend on the area. I'm doing PGCE Business Studies, last year as far as I know everyone who completed the course has now got a job, a few are teaching Business and RE???? I think you have to be prepared to teach anything really, which is why I'm going to try and gain experience in different subjects.
    where you doing your pgce ?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.