Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ed Miliband calls for a public Prime Minister's Questions Watch

ReputationRep:
    Instead of childish party politics where both sides have completely different ideologies and therefore will never be satisfied with the views their opponents give, we should have a system where the PM gives a weekly review of the policies he is working on and allows for public calls to question him. The opposition can have some time to think about their answers and contact the press after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    How do you avoid bias in the sample? How do you/Do you compensate people for having to miss work? How do you work around legitimate security concerns?
    That's his plan. Most people will be in work and those asking the questions will be people with free time like those on welfare. These people will side with Labour and go against the Tories who are more harsh on them. Its all manipulation and point scoring from Labour again.

The plan isn't to be more democratic but to give more voice to those more likely or certain to vote Labour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DErasmus)
    Instead of childish party politics where both sides have completely different ideologies and therefore will never be satisfied with the views their opponents give, we should have a system where the PM gives a weekly review of the policies he is working on and allows for public calls to question him. The opposition can have some time to think about their answers and contact the press after.
    That doesn't address the real problem though.

The issue here isn't not getting questioned, it's the issue of not getting real answers and that's something all politicians through history have been guilty of and will continue to be guilty of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    Stupid idea really. It'll just be like the questions in the general election debates.

"That's a great question Susan, and the reason the NHS is ****ed up is because of the Tories don't blame me."

"That's an excellent question Andy, and the reason you don't have a job is that Labour ****ed up the economy when they were in power".

I can bet there'll be planted questions and, if not, the PM will avoid the question altogether.

More point-scoring by Miliband. Next week he'll promise sweets to every child whose parents vote Labour in the upcoming election.
    lol, this.

ReputationRep:
    The public will be party members and pressure groups largely.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a bit of a gimmick. MPs should be putting forward question from constituents in Parliament, either to the correct departmental minister or where appropriate the Prime Minister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    On topic, I think it is a bit of a gimmick. MPs should be putting forward question from constituents in Parliament, either to the correct departmental minister or where appropriate the Prime Minister.
    You've essentially just summed up PMQs and departmental questions. The only thing with PMQs is that there's a ballot within MPs for which questions get asked and who gets a turn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob-C)
    You've essentially just summed up PMQs and departmental questions. The only thing with PMQs is that there's a ballot within MPs for which questions get asked and who gets a turn.
    Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the status quo. But the problem is that all too often MPs will simply ask questions along party lines. Could do with more direct representation of constituents questions and concerns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    But the problem is that all too often MPs will simply ask questions along party lines.
    Well they are party representatives, some being planted to ask certain questions too.

Could do with more direct representation of constituents questions and concerns.
    I think that is Ed's idea behind this proposal, but whether it would work out that way in practicality I don't know.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Regarding idea I like it in principal but the practicalities mean its unlikely to live up to expectations. The two main reasons for this are that firstly the questions will be pre-selected, but secondly we will only here from people on the extremes, the majority of the public are fairly indifferent on the EU for example.

Regarding PMQ's its always easier to be the attacker than be attacked for some. Hague and Cameron in opposition tore the PM's a new one 'your an analogue chancellor on a digital world', Cameron is clearly uncomfortable when backed into a corner and defending. Blair in his second term did well because he loves foreign affairs and the public were not massively against the wars when they started.

PMQ's is all about the personality which is why its poor now. Cameron prefers to attack and Miliband is just useless.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, poor idea. PMQs isn't about getting answers from the PM, anyway, at least, it rarely is. The time for answers is from ministerial statements. PMQs is the weekly swordfight between the parties to demonstrate their grasp of events and issues.

The current crop are pretty poor at it, mind you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not particularly in favour of this, it's too populist... already, far too much is done to appeal to the plebs.

Governments should lead, that's what they're for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filthy_pup)
    I'm not particularly in favour of this, it's too populist... already, far too much is done to appeal to the plebs.

Not a democrat then? Don't believe in politics for the many - just the few?

I guess he's trying to get more people involved in politics. The curse of our time is the cynicism and hopelessness felt by many people, especially the young, when they're described disparagingly as plebs and no one wants to listen to their voice.

I'd give him a star for at least recognising the situation and trying to do something about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pickup)
    Not a democrat then? Don't believe in politics for the many - just the few?
    I believe the plebs don't know what's good for them, and they need to be led by people who know what they're doing.
    I guess he's trying to get more people involved in politics. The curse of our time is the cynicism and hopelessness felt by many people
    It's their own darn fault, the people are so lazy, they don't even vote and then they have the temerity to complain about politicians!? **** them

I'd give him a star for at least recognising the ******* and trying to do something about it
    I give Ed stars because I'm a member of the Labour Party, of course I will vote Labour anyway and I think Ed is a tremendously good guy, very principled and deeply ethical. I just don't think this "people's question time" is a good idea, and it's not in line with our political traditions as a nation

ReputationRep:
    Forget this 'appeasement of the people' maneuver. Politicians either evade or lie so it's pointless. The prime minister's accountability takes the form of the election process (unfortunately). Don't vote for him if he is implementing bs policies. Don't ask him questions just so he can lie to your face instead of lie through a minister...

ReputationRep:
    The intentions behind it are good, but I can't see it working. Hardly anyone would be willing to travel all the way to London to put questions to politicians. I wouldn't go all the way there from Yorkshire just to ask a question and then have a politician not answer it, which happens a lot in real PMQs.

If an arrangement like that could be made to work somehow I'd support it, but I can't see how it would work effectively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by filthy_pup)

Your apparent contempt for the British public is astounding.

Would these be the same "plebs" who MPs and governments are supposed to represent and serve? The "plebs" who pay tax towards MP salaries which are often much bigger than their own? Politicians are supposed to serve the people, not the other way round.

I have concerns about public PMQs but far too little is done to appeal to the so called "plebs". Populist ideas are often a good thing, depending on what exactly is being proposed.

ReputationRep:
    Depends. I actually think PMQs is good entertainment. I know it's not the purpose of it, but then people who say "they only laugh and joke, it's serious!!!" should look at other parliaments around the world, it's the same thing. Look, politicians are people too. They sit in the House for hours per day, why can't they have a little laugh and joke? Somebody will mention they get a big salary, well yeah, people who earn more deserve less fun...

PMQs is needed IMO, as the PM is obviously the head of the government. But then talk of ****ty ratings...well it's at 12pm, many people are working or out doing errands. What do people expect? And I doubt ****ty ratings will undermine the entire BBC's scope, considering the production costs for PMQs must be very low compared to other programmes it makes (no studios, just paying for the cameraman, cameras, wiring, sound, no actors, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    Debates would be cool like in the US

ReputationRep:
    Ask him why is he a Zionist and does he view the lives of non-Jews the same as his own people?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.