Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would people recommend travelling Europe by rail? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmertic)
    Nah Amsterdam won't be over-rated Although we are only spending a few days there at max. Maybe half a week or so.

FYI, German is the easiest language to learn

Yeah, just me and my best mate for now
    Yeah, probably not... even the name of the city sounds cool.
    Half a week is good - just enough time to really see and enjoy the place!

Oh yeah? Can you speak it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostbuster)
    Hahaha that sounds awesome! Where'd you go to in the States? My old man lives there! Yeah, we think we'll manage as a duo, we want the trip to be as easygoing and chill as possible. And yeah, less people = less problems though it's nice to have at least one person you truly know with you, in case something happens. I'm actually looking forward to Croatia and Italy a lot - Croatia's supposedly really nice, can't wait to see it myself!
    Went and did 3 states in 18 days, travel included. Started in Vegas, then to LA, hollywood and then to Hawaii. Hawaii was my favourite just so different. Wheres he live? Yeah I agree, I think its much easier if you are close to your travel buddy if its just you and them. When I went in a three I was close to one and the other was a friend of theirs so I didnt know them much. If you are thinking of going to Hollywood ever, dont go. We didnt like it, everyone we spoke to was like ugh never again! Unsafe and littered and just not what you would expect! Had enough of the states for now so thats why I want to travel Europe next. Similar in ways but very different cultures.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, probably not... even the name of the city sounds cool.
    Half a week is good - just enough time to really see and enjoy the place!

Oh yeah? Can you speak it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, that's just what almost every Google search on the easiest language to learn will tell you.

I can speak a bit of Japanese though. I've been learning for like 3 months, but I pretty much stopped now

ReputationRep:
    No, that's just what almost every Google search on the easiest language to learn will tell you.

I can speak a bit of Japanese though. I've been learning for like 3 months, but I pretty much stopped now
    I'll have to look into that! Haha i was going to say German seemed quite challenging but Japanese is definitely the most challenging! Why'd you stop?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justjake09)
    Went and did 3 states in 18 days, travel included. Started in Vegas, then to LA, hollywood and then to Hawaii. Hawaii was my favourite just so different. Wheres he live? Yeah I agree, I think its much easier if you are close to your travel buddy if its just you and them. When I went in a three I was close to one and the other was a friend of theirs so I didnt know them much. If you are thinking of going to Hollywood ever, dont go. We didnt like it, everyone we spoke to was like ugh never again! Unsafe and littered and just not what you would expect! Had enough of the states for now so thats why I want to travel Europe next. Similar in ways but very different cultures.
    He lives in Nashville, TN. I've been to TN,Texas, and Kentucky. I had a connecting flight from JFK once but I'd love to really see New York.

Aw man, I can only imagine how nice Hawaii must have been! Where in Hawaii did you go? haha how was Vegas? Or was it uneventful there?

I actually don't find Hollywood that attractive but good to know it's not that special! Sorry to hear it wasn't very good there. However my dad said New York wasn't all that amazing either,he was unimpressed with central park.

Yeah,having been to the States a couple times, I personally don't find it that great tbh but i guess it depends on different things. There's just something about Europe though :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll have to look into that! Haha i was going to say German seemed quite challenging but Japanese is definitely the most challenging! Why'd you stop?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Idk, I still love Japan and everything about it. But unless I want to live there I just don't need it

ReputationRep:
    Idk, I still love Japan and everything about it. But unless I want to live there I just don't need it
    Yeah, true. Knowing some Japanese is still cool though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He lives in Nashville, TN. I've been to TN,Texas, and Kentucky. I had a connecting flight from JFK once but I'd love to really see New York.

Aw man, I can only imagine how nice Hawaii must have been! Where in Hawaii did you go? haha how was Vegas? Or was it uneventful there?

I actually don't find Hollywood that attractive but good to know it's not that special! Sorry to hear it wasn't very good there. However my dad said New York wasn't all that amazing either,he was unimpressed with central park.

Yeah,having been to the States a couple times, I personally don't find it that great tbh but i guess it depends on different things. There's just something about Europe though :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh okay , I'd love to go to Texas! Next time I head to the states will be to the east coast I imagine. New york of course, North Carolina. We had a 5 hour delay in JFK for our connecting flight, couldnt leave the airport We went to Hawaii last but we kinda wished we went there first, it took along time travelling back from Hawaii to England. We just went to Honolulu, we did manage to travel most of the island though, I want to go back and see the other islands especially Maui - but it costs so much! theres so much to do though, we swam with sharks and went to pearl harbour. If you ever get the chance to go, go! People told us that hardly any english people ever go to hawaii so we were rare because its too far, cant get a direct flight, so people were always speaking to us, felt like stars haha. Vegas, needed more time. And you should get a hotel on the strip to save money and having to get taxis because you cannot walk. It is great, deffo would go back.

I totally agree with you about Europe, even thought about getting the ferry from hull, im from Yorkshire so. I was going to apply for coach trip.. lol, free trip around europe but I cant cos they film from october and I have uni, boo. You should think about applying, save you money :P

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay , I'd love to go to Texas! Next time I head to the states will be to the east coast I imagine. New york of course, North Carolina. We had a 5 hour delay in JFK for our connecting flight, couldnt leave the airport We went to Hawaii last but we kinda wished we went there first, it took along time travelling back from Hawaii to England. We just went to Honolulu, we did manage to travel most of the island though, I want to go back and see the other islands especially Maui - but it costs so much! theres so much to do though, we swam with sharks and went to pearl harbour. If you ever get the chance to go, go! People told us that hardly any english people ever go to hawaii so we were rare because its too far, cant get a direct flight, so people were always speaking to us, felt like stars haha. Vegas, needed more time. And you should get a hotel on the strip to save money and having to get taxis because you cannot walk. It is great, deffo would go back.

I totally agree with you about Europe, even thought about getting the ferry from hull, im from Yorkshire so. I was going to apply for coach trip.. lol, free trip around europe but I cant cos they film from october and I have uni, boo. You should think about applying, save you money :P
    I was in Houston twice, Texas is insanely hot! You'll need a car over there too, quite difficult getting around without one since the place is huge Same here, I prefer the east coast! oh man 5 hours is a long time to wait :O

Ahh I'm so jealous! sounds like a really cool experience! How many connecting flights did you have from Hawaii? I'm slightly further away in Sweden.

Nice So you'd return to all those places except LA then?

That's interesting, never really thought of that... I'll definitely keep that in mind for different journey! Thanks for the tip!

ReputationRep:
    I was in Houston twice, Texas is insanely hot! You'll need a car over there too, quite difficult getting around without one since the place is huge Same here, I prefer the east coast! oh man 5 hours is a long time to wait :O

Ahh I'm so jealous! sounds like a really cool experience! How many connecting flights did you have from Hawaii? I'm slightly further away in Sweden.

Nice So you'd return to all those places except LA then?

That's interesting, never really thought of that... I'll definitely keep that in mind for different journey! Thanks for the tip!
    No problem You're only 17 right? are you waiting to turn 18 before you go travelling? I can drive but oh I wouldnt dare drive in america! Its crazy, the roads are insane, id be a nervous wreck. We almost got run over in hawaii we was so confused ha. Because of the delay making us miss our connecting flight we ended up getting 5 planes all in all from hawaii to manchester. over 3 days. Well we flew from JFK to Oslo then to england, we even had a flight from london to manchester paid for us due to the delay, Ive been put off flying from the delays and from the awful events that have happened with planes of late so thats why I fancy using the trains around the EU!

ReputationRep:
    No ******* You're only 17 right? are you waiting to turn 18 before you go travelling? I can drive but oh I wouldnt dare drive in america! Its crazy, the roads are insane, id be a nervous wreck. We almost got run over in hawaii we was so confused ha. Because of the delay making us miss our connecting flight we ended up getting 5 planes all in all from hawaii to manchester. over 3 days. Well we flew from JFK to Oslo then to england, we even had a flight from london to manchester paid for us due to the delay, Ive been put off flying from the delays and from the awful events that have happened with planes of late so thats why I fancy using the trains around the EU!
    I am, and those are my exact intentions! I've done a bit of traveling but I went to Barcelona on my own with a close friend this year and we loved it, but I feel traveling when you're 18+ will definitely have a few more advantages

Hahaha holy ****! xD It CAN get really insane though, people speeding and cutting each other off all the time! But you drive on the other side in the UK? How would you even manage to drive at all, I probably wouldn't be able to coordinate properly.

Oh god, 5 planes? I enjoy traveling but geez, after 3 (sometimes 2) planes it becomes a bit of a buzzkill, doesn't it? Totally understand why you'd be put off. How long ago was the trip to the US?

ReputationRep:
    On a rail tour of Europe now - it's awesome! We got Eurostar to Brussels, then train to Bruges, then Cologne and now in Paris. Getting Eurostar back tomorrow, all this in about 8 nights

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by midgemeister7)
    On a rail tour of Europe now - it's awesome! We got Eurostar to Brussels, then train to Bruges, then Cologne and now in Paris. Getting Eurostar back tomorrow, all this in about 8 nights

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cool! Hope everything went smoothly. Have you interrailed before?

ReputationRep:
    Exactly like me, I think, but it all depends on the other people like when they want to go, without giving it too much thought and planning but I would really like to go to France, Hungary, Belgium, Greece and Czech Republic. They are just off the cuff though! How about you?
    I don't want to sound paranoid but is inter railing safe for 18 year olds and what sort of group size would you recommend?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.