Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

would you go out with a guy in a wheelchair? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Styl1994)
    I done it once and got put down badly knock my confidences out of me
    You mean you've only approached a girl once? Most guys don't get with girls out of nowhere, you've got to be able to approach girls. If you have low confidence, that's a bigger problem than being in a wheelchair.

Ok can I ask you a question say you were in a wheelchair would you want guys to turn you down because of it
    That's not how things work though, no one wants to be turned down for any reason, but if you aren't attracted to someone, you aren't going to want to go out with them.

I hardly know anyone as friends in a wheelchair, and relationships (for me) are based on friendship/chemistry - so I couldn't say definitely yes, as I don't know from experience.

However, I have seen some very hot guys in wheelchairs, also having worked in hospitals a lot, I know that requiring a wheelchair needn't be very disabling at all (I have seen wheelchair users more fit and able than your average non-wheelchair user); so I can't imagine in theory, it being a problem if I liked someone. For me, chemistry is a bit on body, quite a lot on face, most of all on humour and charm.

If you feel the need to compensate, make sure you are fit, good arm muscles, don't let the chair make you bitter or awkward, love who you are, play it for it's advantages (it's at least a talking point!).

The bigger issue than the physical one, is if people see that you are "disabled", they feel awkward about it / don't know how to talk to you / don't know whether to speak about it. Sucks for you but it's what people are like. You can help them out if you break the ice about your chair, maybe a bit of comedy, maybe a bit of showing off. You're probably going to have to have more confidence than most other guys, which is ironic, but doable.

At least when you find a girl, you'll know she's attracted to the whole package (unless she has a wheelchair fetish, but that's a win-win really :p: ), not just a conventional boyfriend with conventional looks. People in wheelchairs fall in love and get hitched like everyone else, may even give you a better relationship ultimately than some people who have a seemingly "easier" path.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If I had feelings for him then yes, him being in a wheelchair wouldn't stop me from going out with him.

ReputationRep:
    If I was attracted to you and our personalities were compatible I don't think being in a wheelchair would be a factor that decides whether I'd go out with you or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my kids aren't gonna be disabled and they will have good genes so why not.

point taken but it is silly what do they think a fight is going to happen everywhere and tbh their a different way of making woman feel safe

I think you should ignore his comment it's a bit immature, a lot of guys are not confrontational at all. There are also just as many relationships where the woman where's the trousers so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    As long as we got on well and had chemistry I wouldn't rule it out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.