Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

somebody please explain what is happening to as and alevels? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    It's so stupid though. So many people struggle as it is. Why do they put idiots who have literally no experience in education, incharge of it!? What lunatics do this, honestly.
    Goes back to the saying 'if it aint broke, don't fix it'. Scrapping january exams was a big move, this is a massive change and the repercussions could put students at a huge disadvantage. The ironic thing is the fact he has escaped from being at the forefront for any backlash if this new system is a total failure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jparemain)
    When do these reforms start? September 2014 or the next year?
    September 2015

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trollgawd1)
    This is good I'm very happy about it!
    Lord there's too many trolls today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janicee)
    Lord there's too many trolls today!
    I've been here since ages

ReputationRep:
    I've been here since ages
    No way! You signed up on the 28th of July 2014?!
    My bad! That was ages ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janicee)
    No way! You signed up on the 28th of July 2014?!
    My bad! That was ages ago.

Chek my thread before talking i've been since 2012...

ReputationRep:
    So, if I do AS levels in Sept 2014, will my A2s (starting Sept 2015) be using the new specifications? Will they still be separated from my AS because I start A2 in the year it all changes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurasaur)
    So, if I do AS levels in Sept 2014, will my A2s (starting Sept 2015) be using the new specifications? Will they still be separated from my AS because I start A2 in the year it all changes?
    If you start sixth form in september 2014, you will be under the old a level system and will remain under that system for your duration at sixth form, it will not change. You don't need to worry about the a level reforms since they don't have any effect on you. You've literally just escaped them!

ReputationRep:
    Chek my thread before talking i've been since 2012...
    People always make me doubt myself dammit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06shawm)
    If you start sixth form in september 2014, you will be under the old a level system and will remain under that system for your duration at sixth form, it will not change. You don't need to worry about the a level reforms since they don't have any effect on you. You've literally just escaped them!
    Thank goodness! I hope that I don't need to retake them though, that could be problematic!

ReputationRep:
    So what if us 2014 lot need to retake? :ahhhhh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gorwell)
    So what if us 2014 lot need to retake? :ahhhhh:
    The exam boards are likely to offer resit opportunities for the old specification after september 2016 for the 2014 cohort. If not, just work like hell so you are never in this position.

ReputationRep:
    The exam boards are likely to offer resit opportunities for the old specification after september 2016 for the 2014 cohort. If not, just work like hell so you are never in this position.
    I really do feel for the year below! You're right; they should have some backup plan in store for us (hopefully).
    Have you finished your A levels?

ReputationRep:
    I really do feel for the year below! You're right; they should have some backup plan in store for us (hopefully).
    Have you finished your A levels?
    I would be freaking out at the fact there are no past papers for them! :eek: I can imagine they will definitely have a back up plan of some sort.

Yeah I finished mine in 2013 and just completed my first year at uni. Have you just finished your GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    I would be freaking out at the fact there are no past papers for them! :eek: I can imagine they will definitely have a back up plan of some sort.

Yeah I finished mine in 2013 and just completed my first year at uni. Have you just finished your GCSE's?
    Woah congrats!

What did you study A level/uni-wise? If you don't mind me asking. Come to think of it... they'll only have those specimen/mock papers to revise from.:eek: Gove has really left his mark hasn't he!

Yes indeed! Relieved, but starting A levels now. :unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    x
    would this mean that people will start university at 19 now then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Assassin)
    would this mean that people will start university at 19 now then?
    No they would still normally start at 18, what makes you say that??

ReputationRep:
    No they would still normally start at 18, what makes you say that??
    oh right, because AS level is 1 year, and then A-level (totally separate) is 2 years?

ReputationRep:
    Woah congrats!

What did you study A level/uni-wise? If you don't mind me asking. Come to think of it... they'll only have those specimen/mock papers to revise from.:eek: Gove has really left his mark hasn't he!

Yes indeed! Relieved, but starting A levels now. :unimpressed:
    Cheers! Feels such along time ago now though haha!

I studied Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology plus Gen studs. I'm studying medicine.

Yeah pretty much, past papers are the key to doing well at a level, count yourself lucky!! :eek:

Best of luck with your GCSE results! Not long to go now for those, what a levels are you going to be studying??

ReputationRep:
    September 2015
    The current parliament dissolves in March 2015, so the next government could potentially scrap this before September 2015.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.