The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by AlexKay99
No I'm sorry I would never, it's bad enough wearing 'provocative' clothing for girls these days without some perv using it as an excuse to sexually assault or rape you. This will definitely give them the green light.

Do many rapes occur on public beaches full of people? :rolleyes:
Original post by lucaf
Do many rapes occur on public beaches full of people? :rolleyes:

What's to stop him from following you when you leave??
It doesn't bother me if people go topless, my mother does these days on beaches but oddly she never used to when I was younger, however I've never done it myself.

That being said, if I'm breastfeeding, I'll do that in public - but then again I'm covered up by a baby in that case!

I guess I'm a bit self conscious about just randomly being topless.
I've got big breasts, I don't even like being topless in bed I need to feel supported 24/7 lol so no I wouldnt
Naaa i'd never go topless. The most i'd do is untie my bikini strap if sunbathing on the beach if i dont want tan lines on my back.
Yeah I love going topless. Especially in mainland Europe, there are always plenty of other women doing it there. It's so nice to have tanned boobs.
Original post by tnetennba
Yeah I love going topless. Especially in mainland Europe, there are always plenty of other women doing it there. It's so nice to have tanned boobs.

Off-topic, but I love your username :tongue:
Reply 27
What's to stop him from following you when you leave??

What, follow you back to your car? In a busy carpark? In broad daylight? While you are surounded by the friends and/or family you went to beach with? You are more than a little paranoid.

And if you think being topless makes you a target, surely just being in a bikini is just as bad? Except it isn't, because rapists don't target people because of their attire, and guys don't just lose control upon seeing a pair of tits.
Reply 28
Original post by tnetennba

that's good, more women should do it.
Original post by lucaf
What, follow you back to your car? In a busy carpark? In broad daylight? While you are surounded by the friends and/or family you went to beach with? You are more than a little paranoid.

And if you think being topless makes you a target, surely just being in a bikini is just as bad? Except it isn't, because rapists don't target people because of their attire, and guys don't just lose control upon seeing a pair of tits.

"guys don't just lose control upon seeing a pair of tits." Did I say that ALL guys do it? No, I said only pervs who think seeing a woman naked or half naked is a good enough excuse to rape her because she is 'a slut anyway'. And there are A LOT of those freaks.

You know when you get into prison and there is that imminent treat of rape lingering about? And most guys are scared 24/7 but the persevere because they have to keep on living and there is nothing they can do? Well that is what its like for a woman EVERDAY, some freaks whistling at her, or grabbing her ass, annoying her to have sex with them, those are just the many things girls have to go through. And you get used to it.

So shut your mouth, you absolute ****. Anything can happen, you can get raped on a beach behind a rock in broad daylight if someone puts a knife to your neck and threatens to kill you if you scream.

I wonder if you had a girlfriend, would you let her go around topless on the beach so a bunch of guys will drool over her? Would you enjoy that?
If you would, your one sick mother****er and your not in a normal relationship.
Same goes if your a homosexual btw.

:L

Just piss off, so many idiots on TSR, it just angers me. Why don't you go nude on a beach???? Don't even bother lying 'i'd go nude on a beach' because we all know you won't. Don't even bother replying please. Do me a favour.
Not if there are children about think its highly wrong to do it on a family beach
"guys don't just lose control upon seeing a pair of tits." Did I say that ALL guys do it? No, I said only pervs who think seeing a woman naked or half naked is a good enough excuse to rape her because she is 'a slut anyway'. And there are A LOT of those freaks.

You know when you get into prison and there is that imminent treat of rape lingering about? And most guys are scared 24/7 but the persevere because they have to keep on living and there is nothing they can do? Well that is what its like for a woman EVERDAY, some freaks whistling at her, or grabbing her ass, annoying her to have sex with them, those are just the many things girls have to go through. And you get used to it.

So shut your mouth, you absolute ****. Anything can happen, you can get raped on a beach behind a rock in broad daylight if someone puts a knife to your neck and threatens to kill you if you scream.

I wonder if you had a girlfriend, would you let her go around topless on the beach so a bunch of guys will drool over her? Would you enjoy that?

:L

Just piss off, so many idiots on TSR, it just angers me. Why don't you go nude on a beach???? Don't even bother lying 'i'd go nude on a beach' because we all know you won't. Don't even bother replying please. Do me a favour.

This. Easy to call people "paranoid" from a position of privilege :rolleyes:
Reply 32

You are getting confused between victim blaming and what actual rapists do. Victim blaming is when morons say that what a woman was wearing meant they deserved or at least put themselves at risk of rape, and the reason that is moronic is because rapists don't pick victims based on what they are wearing. What you are saying is actually lending credibility to the victim blamers, in fact you are basically victim blaming yourself, but even some basic knowledge says they (and you) are wrong. If I had said "women shouldn't sunbathe topless or they might get raped" I would have been torn to shreds by the women of TSR as a victim blamer.

yes, women have it hard. I understand that and am sorry for you, but that isn't relevant to the current conversation.

woah woah getting a bit personal there! And if it is actually a danger, find me one single case of it happening. Thousands of women go sunbathing topless on the continent every year, bound to be a few examples. The beach is pretty much the worst possible place for a rapist to strike, and as I have already said being topless would not increase your chances.

Firstly, "if I had a girlfriend"? I do thanks. And yes of course I would let her, because it is not my ****ing place to tell her what she can and can't wear. And while I wouldn't enjoy guys looking at her, that would happen even if she were in a bikini. Short of making her wear a burka there isn't a whole lot I can do about that.

So you are saying I am an idiot for not buying into victim blaming? Ok, if any other girls are reading this please please tell this girl the whole "what you are wearing doesn't matter" thing, because it obviously isn't going to get across to her from a guy.

And no, I wouldn't go nude on a beach. But topless and nude are not the same thing. If women want to go topless on a beach, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed. If people want to go nude at a beach... well keep it to nudist beaches please but other than that go ahead.
Original post by yodawg321
Reddit is such a better website :redface:

Reddit sucks, honestly much worse than TSR in every respect

It's highly impersonal and the subreddit structure means that people end up becoming really extreme in whatever views are held in the particular subreddit they use. So if you write out stupid sound bites (the big subreddits have massive problems with sexism and racism) or immature jokes, you get loads of upvotes, but intelligent posts or posts which disagree get hidden.
No, I wouldn't have the confidence.
Original post by lucaf
You are getting confused between victim blaming and what actual rapists do. Victim blaming is when morons say that what a woman was wearing meant they deserved or at least put themselves at risk of rape, and the reason that is moronic is because rapists don't pick victims based on what they are wearing. What you are saying is actually lending credibility to the victim blamers, in fact you are basically victim blaming yourself, but even some basic knowledge says they (and you) are wrong. If I had said "women shouldn't sunbathe topless or they might get raped" I would have been torn to shreds by the women of TSR as a victim blamer.

yes, women have it hard. I understand that and am sorry for you, but that isn't relevant to the current conversation.

woah woah getting a bit personal there! And if it is actually a danger, find me one single case of it happening. Thousands of women go sunbathing topless on the continent every year, bound to be a few examples. The beach is pretty much the worst possible place for a rapist to strike, and as I have already said being topless would not increase your chances.

Firstly, "if I had a girlfriend"? I do thanks. And yes of course I would let her, because it is not my ****ing place to tell her what she can and can't wear. And while I wouldn't enjoy guys looking at her, that would happen even if she were in a bikini. Short of making her wear a burka there isn't a whole lot I can do about that.

So you are saying I am an idiot for not buying into victim blaming? Ok, if any other girls are reading this please please tell this girl the whole "what you are wearing doesn't matter" thing, because it obviously isn't going to get across to her from a guy.

And no, I wouldn't go nude on a beach. But topless and nude are not the same thing. If women want to go topless on a beach, I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed. If people want to go nude at a beach... well keep it to nudist beaches please but other than that go ahead.

"rapists don't pick victims based on what they are wearing." This is pretty dumb tbh. How did I ever say it was a woman's fault for getting raped because she was looking provocatively? I never implied that, I wish women could walk around freely doing what they want without someone perv-ing on them 24/7.

I honestly can't believe your saying I'm victim-blaming. I'm rapist-blaming for coming to the conclusion that he can rape because she looks like she is asking for it.

It is a FACT that a lot of rapes happen because pervs feel it is acceptable to do so because they think the woman is a slut for dressing as she does therefore deserves it or is asking for it. The rapist makes it acceptable for himself. And there is nothing you can do about that other than put him in jail. So the only solution for women is to cover up if they don't want to get raped. Its unfair and sad but its the reality.

I don't see how being topless is not being nude? If your supposed to cover it up, then its nudity.

You see, the beach of full of girls in bikinis and yes they get stared at but they wont get started at as much as if she were topless. Those in bikinis are considered ok at this point and not like she is asking for it, but those who go nude among others covered, that's a different story.

Reply 36
"rapists don't pick victims based on what they are wearing." This is pretty dumb tbh. How did I ever say it was a woman's fault for getting raped because she was looking provocatively? I never implied that, I wish women could walk around freely doing what they want without someone perv-ing on them 24/7.

I honestly can't believe your saying I'm victim-blaming. I'm rapist-blaming for coming to the conclusion that he can rape because she looks like she is asking for it.

It is a FACT that a lot of rapes happen because pervs feel it is acceptable to do so because they think the woman is a slut for dressing as she does therefore deserves it or is asking for it. The rapist makes it acceptable for himself. And there is nothing you can do about that other than put him in jail. So the only solution for women is to cover up if they don't want to get raped. Its unfair and sad ebut its the reality.

I don't see how being topless is not being nude? If your supposed to cover it up, then its nudity.

You see, the beach of full of girls in bikinis and yes they get stared at but they wont get started at as much as if she were topless. Those in bikinis are considered ok at this point and not like she is asking for it, but those who go nude among others covered, that's a different story.

It is not a dumb thing to say, it is an accurate thing to say. Rapists don't target people based on clothing, that is a well documented fact. Saying women should cover up to avoid being raped is just factually wrong, and if ot isn't victim blaming it is certainly providing victim blamers justification.

And no, being topless is not being nude. It is more revealing than being in a bikini, but you are not naked. And while it is a bit odd in the UK, on the continent (where most people here go on holiday) it is completely common place. Again, can you provide a single example of someone being raped at the beach because they were topless?
It should be a matter of personal choice for a woman, and my view is that on a beach, around a hotel pool or maybe in part of a large park it should be acceptable just as it would be for a man to have no shirt on.

It seems that in the UK it is more of an issue than say in France or Germany.
Well I haven't before, don't have a problem if women want to though. I remember when I was little running out of the pool on holiday because a woman had hers out ha.
x

I am a woman, a feminist, and I certainly don't like being harassed by boys, but please, please stop. That prisoner analogy made me feel ill. Get a little perspective, women as a whole gender do not suffer as much as the prisoners suffering from systematic abuse. I apologise if you come from somewhere like South Africa where the rape culture is insane, but my guess is you are from UK/the West, where women are still able to have relative freedom and independence without a definite lead-on to harrassment (that's not to say that women are totally fine, but **** it is nothing like you have described as a whole). Just read over what you have written and really think about what you are saying.

Lucaf is right by the way, rapists do not attack women for what they are or are not wearing, they usually attack women who look vulnerable i.e on their own, intoxicated.

Latest