Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Starting A-levels this September: Any tips? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FREYA2898)
    Hello,
    I will be starting my AS subjects this september so Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Geography.
    I am really worried about these subjects so if you have any tips for managing the workload, tips to get the top grades at AS/A-level that would be great!!!
    Continuous focus is key! I never quite got the grasp of the work required for good grades until i received my AS results.. after what i thought was me putting in "lots of effort" i realised i had quite simply done the bare minimum and ended up with a miserable CDDD at AS!

So obviously i had no other option than to completely reevaluate my way of doing things for A2. I dropped Chemistry and found the workload much much easier, which allowed me to keep on top of things better!

But for me the main things are focus, attendance, attention, shortening of notes (after each lesson), reviewing (again after each lesson), learning ahead of the next lesson if possible, practicing questions the whole year through, asking if stuck etcetc!

Thats a tough choice of subjects you have, but if you keep on top of everything from the outset you will find things much easier come exam time!

ReputationRep:
    Answered a similar thread here
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2736117
    Good luck!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crayolaguy)
    Listen to your teachers, ask if you're stuck, do your homework.
    (Original post by FREYA2898)
    Thats it???
    That's most of it, yes. Because you're left to get on with it much more, it's easy to ignore them.

Find out the syllabuses and what's involved now, and if you think you might want to change subjects, do it sooner rather than later.

Do you know anyone who's done those subjects? GCSE and A-Level Chemistry are two very different beasts, for example, and the amount of stuff you need to know for the latter is way more than Physics or Geography. You can't just guess or work out most of it either. I wouldn't do Chemistry unless what I wanted to do at university demanded it.

ReputationRep:
    Doing Physics without Maths is a big risk, all my friends who do Physics say that it's pointless to do physics without Maths. Other than that, make sure you revise from the word go, it makes everything so much easier and less stressful towards the end if you do a tiny bit of revision each day/week throughout the year. Revise and make sure that everything you learn in each lesson sticks there and every week make sure you haven't forgotten anything you learned that week. Do the same each month to make sure that you don't look back at the end of the year and realise you've completely blanked on an important topic in your exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skitee)
    Doing Physics without Maths is a big risk, all my friends who do Physics say that it's pointless to do physics without Maths. Other than that, make sure you revise from the word go, it makes everything so much easier and less stressful towards the end if you do a tiny bit of revision each day/week throughout the year. Revise and make sure that everything you learn in each lesson sticks there and every week make sure you haven't forgotten anything you learned that week. Do the same each month to make sure that you don't look back at the end of the year and realise you've completely blanked on an important topic in your exam.
    Does it make a difference if I am only doing AS physics??:confused:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember the maths being that hard in A-Level Physics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.