Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people dislike Windows 8(.1)? Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benplumley)
    Inconsistency. Depending on whether I'm in 'Windows 8 mode' (why the hell isn't it all Windows 8 mode?) the functionality I have is different. EG if I open settings in the fullscreen mode, I can access different set of settings to if I open settings from the desktop. The same is true of a load of other apps.

Also, one particular thing that bugs me is the calculator. The only calculator that comes preinstalled can only be used fullscreen. In what world is that useful?!

Also, in the programs list, there are two 'columns' of programs. Whether a program appears in the left column, the right column or (occasionally) both columns seems to be completely random.
    I think you need to get out of metro, because I can't say I've had any of these issues.
    There is still the normal calculator. Open the search function and just search "calculator". There is the metro calculator app and also the normal one.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    No desktop calculator, you say?:

The programs list, well, tbh given how easy it is to search now I find the programs list superfluous (and thus have no need at all to touch Modern UI). If I want to launch a program all I do is win+s and put in the first few characters.
    And which "settings" are you referring to, and it makes sense anyway, since modern UI is optimised for tablet use while desktop mode is optimised for desktop use. The only slight grip is that M$ decided that it would be better to make both use the same page rather than cloning everything and optimising for both.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Isn't it riddled with NSA backdoors?
    Want to expand on that? Guessing you've just read that on some dodgy website and are now regurgitating it in an effort to sound clued up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I think you need to get out of metro, because I can't say I've had any of these issues.
    There is still the normal calculator. Open the search function and just search "calculator". There is the metro calculator app and also the normal one.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    No desktop calculator, you say?:

The programs list, well, tbh given how easy it is to search now I find the programs list superfluous (and thus have no need at all to touch Modern UI). If I want to launch a program all I do is win+s and put in the first few characters.
    And which "settings" are you referring to, and it makes sense anyway, since modern UI is optimised for tablet use while desktop mode is optimised for desktop use. The only slight grip is that M$ decided that it would be better to make both use the same page rather than cloning everything and optimising for both.
    Oh yeah, so it is. I suppose the problem is that it isn't on the programs list then. I use a third-party calculator called speedcrunch anyway so I didn't miss it too much.

Yes, you can just search, but that doesn't excuse the mess that is the right-hand side of the all programs list.

The two different sets of settings are Control Panel and PC Settings. Some settings are visible in both, most are only visible in one or the other.

ReputationRep:
    Linux. That is it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, so it is. I suppose the problem is that it isn't on the programs list then. I use a third-party calculator called speedcrunch anyway so I didn't miss it too much.

Yes, you can just search, but that doesn't excuse the mess that is the right-hand side of the all programs list.
    I would say that the programs list is mostly unnecessary anyway with such an easy to pull up search function, especially when the search function has all programs and apps. Unless they somehow make the search function crap I can't imagine I will ever touch the programs list when it comes back. Also, do you mean the apps list, because I don't have a programs list (unless I managed to delete it when in the half hour "lets make the OS good" session after install)? In which case I have no messy right-hand side.

The two different sets of settings are Control Panel and PC Settings. Some settings are visible in both, most are only visible in one or the other.
    From what I can see they're largely different, and there is little need to even touch the "PC settings " one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    Linux. That is it.
    Not enough games. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Not enough games. :sadnod:
    Use the Windows emulator

ReputationRep:
    Linux. That is it.
    That bloody penguin. I don't want to have to look up what Kernal means etc and I just want to be able to install and play game and use software.

ReputationRep:
    Use the Windows emulator
    Which Windows emulator? Didn't know there was an emulator...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    That bloody penguin. I don't want to have to look up what Kernal means etc and I just want to be able to install and play game and use software.
    Its easy now. Really. Cooler than a Mac.

ReputationRep:
    Which Windows emulator? Didn't know there was an emulator...
    Yes. You can install the WINE emulator then run Windows programmes as well if you insist.

ReputationRep:
    Its easy now. Really. Cooler than a Mac.
    A turd is cooler than a Mac.

I like the philosophy behind Linux, it's just Windows is easier to use for a normal person that plays lots of games and wants to use microsoft office stuff.

I used to dual boot between Ubuntu and Windows so I have tried it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    A turd is cooler than a Mac.

I like the philosophy behind Linux, it's just Windows is easier to use for a normal person that plays lots of games and wants to use microsoft office stuff.
    Not any more. It is not easier and the Linux Office suites are top notch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    I would say that the programs list is mostly unnecessary anyway with such an easy to pull up search function, especially when the search function has all programs and apps. Unless they somehow make the search function crap I can't imagine I will ever touch the programs list when it comes back. Also, do you mean the apps list, because I don't have a programs list (unless I managed to delete it when in the half hour "lets make the OS good" session after install)? In which case I have no messy right-hand side.

From what I can see they're largely different, and there is little need to even touch the "PC settings " one.
    Funny, I have apps organised by first letter, and if you scroll far enough to the right, I have programs organised by full name. I understand what you're saying about the search function. PC Settings doesn't contain very much that Control Panel doesn't also have access to, but there are some things. For example, I don't think it's possible to change the picture that displays before login from Control Panel, but it is possible from PC Settings.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You can install the WINE emulator then run Windows programmes as well if you insist.
    WINE doesn't really cut it though with games. Even simple stuff like Red Alert 2 doesn't work properly (or at least, I could get it working).

I know that WINE isn't really an emulator , I was kinda hoping you knew something else.

ReputationRep:
    WINE doesn't really cut it though with games. Even simple stuff like Red Alert 2 doesn't work properly (or at least, I could get it working).

I know that WINE isn't really an emulator , I was kinda hoping you knew something else.
    Well you can go for a dual boot set up. Windows for games. Linux for everything else.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I've grown use to windows 8 now, its a bit painful navigating between applications and closing them and stuff. However Microsoft office 2013 I dislike alot. They've removed the feature of being able to set something to autocorrect when you correct a misspelling. Instead you have to manually set words to autocorrect which isnt very convienient at all. It makes typing a hundered times slower, as I have extremely poor typing skills, on my old laptop the autocorrect I built up meant I'd hardly have to delete stuff

ReputationRep:
    I think the whole simplistic colour scheme is ugly. I preferred windows 7 in that aspect.

Plus the start menu was pretty convenient imo, it's better than having to move my mouse to the bottom right corner properly. I swear I always accidentally close the windows 8 'start menu'.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    From what I've been told, 8 is embedded - which presents an obvious problem if your PC ends up with a rootkit on it... It's also ugly, was buggier than Vista until the 8.1 fix and is hated by just about everyone in the software lab I work in. I think that says something.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Funny, I have apps organised by first letter, and if you scroll far enough to the right, I have programs organised by full name. I understand what you're saying about the search function. PC Settings doesn't contain very much that Control Panel doesn't also have access to, but there are some things. For example, I don't think it's possible to change the picture that displays before login from Control Panel, but it is possible from PC Settings.
    Account management and I think a couple of other things can only be done in PC settings, but it's the things you will touch maybe once a year. I'm not actually sure when I was last forced into Modern UI.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.