Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Muslim only" rental advert. Would this be allowed with anyone else? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinzgauer)
    I'm not really into prayer calls in my accommodation 5 times a day.

I think I'll put a sign up next time saying "Christians, Jews, Hindus & atheists only"

We'll see how long that lasts before I get a knock on the door.
    No Buddhists? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Those adverts are not breaking the law if the landlord lives in, unless they use an agent to let the room, in which case they are breaking the law.
    Essentially, if you are renting a room in your own house and advertise it yourself, you can say whatever you like.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the "Muslim only" sign is a problem in the same way I don't think a "Christian only" or an "atheist only" sign would be a problem.

But an "Asian only" sign is categorically racist and should not be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QE2)
    Those adverts are not breaking the law if the landlord lives in, unless they use an agent to let the room, in which case they are breaking the law.
    Essentially, if you are renting a room in your own house and advertise it yourself, you can say whatever you like.
    This. A million times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    I don't think the "Muslim only" sign is a problem in the same way I don't think a "Christian only" or an "atheist only" sign would be a problem.

But an "Asian only" sign is categorically racist and should not be allowed.
    :yy: agreed, there is nothing wrong with wanting to live with someone with a certain way of life, but bringing colour and ethnicity into it would be racist and discriminative. i personally wouldn't find it offensive if i saw a rent ad saying "christian only"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Solution)
    You can be white and Muslim, and black and Christian.
    Exactly. This is why I find these adverts ridiculous. You cant profile somebody based on religion or race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    No Buddhists? :p:
    Too hippy for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old_Simon)
    No it is not. Failing to rent a room to a gay couple for example is unlawful.
    No, not really. It's unlawful to deny them the room because they're gay. But if you think they're horrid people, or would ruin the furniture, or smoke too much, or generally dislike them, then it's fine.

(Original post by getfunky!)
    mountain out of a molehill - You will usually choose to live with someone who has the same habits/culture as yourself.
    So you agree people should be allowed to advertised for whites only?

ReputationRep:
    Don't like it, but what about 'women only', 'no DSS [sic]', 'no students'?

ReputationRep:
    You only need to imagine a "No Muslims" ad to see this is racist and unlawful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Wanting to live with someone who has the same belief system as you isn't wrong. Wanting to only rent your room to a certain group of people when you might not even meet them is. But wanting to live with someone from your culture etc is perfectly acceptable.
    He stated ASIANS ONLY

Would it be ok for me to put up a sign saying "WHITES ONLY".
    Hes judging people on their race not as an individual, that is racist.
    He might share the exact same beliefs as a white or black individual. As it's already been pointed out Muslims can be white, Asian or black.
    People are not defined by their race and generalising people according to such is racism.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    No, not really. It's unlawful to deny them the room because they're gay. But if you think they're horrid people, or would ruin the furniture, or smoke too much, or generally dislike them, then it's fine.

So you agree people should be allowed to advertised for whites only?
    :lolwut: Whites would be racist. The advert is not racist, as Islam is not a race and has a broad range of followers from different nationalities.

What he has advertised would most likely be discriminatory on the fact that he has specifically asked for "Muslim only" tenants, however, he could easily change the advertisement to just including specific habits that a Muslim would follow, he has the right to offer tenancy to whomever he chooses.

(Original post by rockrunride)
    Don't like it, but what about 'women only', 'no DSS [sic]', 'no students'?
    :yep: the advertisement could easily be amended, but selection of tenants by lifestyle is a common practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinzgauer)
    It seems when you're a Muslim, you can get away with all sorts in Britain

This is discrimination.

I don't think you should blame muslim's for this. This is largely an Asian orientated issue rather than Muslim. Many black people get turned away from estate agents because the owner doesn't want to rent to black people due to misconceived stereotypes. It happens in all communities and I hate when people like you pinpoint something so widespread on muslim's.

BTW racism is against Islam and equality was the theme of the prophet's last message, so it ain't an Islamic thing either.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair this is a perfect illustration of the argument. Whilst I can understand wanting the tenants to share your beliefs/values, I'm not sure how I feel about them saying "Muslims Only". If they mean they don't want you having casual sex, drinking alcohol and eating pork then why not just say that? It's not as if those criteria can only be met by observing Muslims. After all I don't have casual sex and I never drink alcohol, and I could probably give up bacon (at a push ), so why should I not be able to rent the room? Just because I don't believe in Allah?

Please.

It's discriminatory for the wrong reasons.

ReputationRep:
    islam isn't a race...its a way of living life.

ReputationRep:
    I've just read the gumtree rules and these adverts are infact in breach of the terms and conditions regarding discrimination. So for those of you saying that it's perfectly acceptable it's evidently not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miscounted_time)
    I've just read the gumtree rules and these adverts are infact in breach of the terms and conditions regarding discrimination. So for those of you saying that it's perfectly acceptable it's evidently not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is there a report button?

ReputationRep:
    It is simple. The protected characteristics covered by the Equality Act 2010 are;

• Gender Reassignment
    • Marriage and Civil Partnership
    • Pregnancy and Maternity
    • Race
    • Religion or Belief
    • Sex
    • Sexual Orientation

You cannot discriminate against these attributes. There are some exceptions but in the case of Landlords who do not live in I am certain that what they are doing is unlawful. I cannot comment of the laws regarding "Live-In" Landlords because I know nothing about that area of practice.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately when young people try to argue they often simply state their personal ideas and beliefs as fact. In this case by saying it is / is not OK / illegal / discriminatory. Very few people in this thread have the first idea what they are talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by presidential_)
    i don't think they meant it in a discriminative way, but they were trying to find someone who shared similar interests and habits.

I am am inclined to agree. However in doing so these kind of situations can drive establishment of "ghettos" probably bit early to fear mongerr about that but segregation like this will only lead to more trouble in the long run. I think it's be better to have the list of requirements. That said, if it's a whole property being rented out, meaning the land lord does not have to live in the same building, I think things like eating pork, promiscuity etc are none of the land lords' business.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.